This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eggs?

carolynmay

carolynmay Apprentice

Hi all,

Here in the UK you can't get eggs from chickens which are only raised on pasture and other non-grain feed. Hence, we don't have any choice but to eat eggs fed on wheat, corn, soya etc.

I just wondered how other super sensitives find eggs from chickens fed on grain? Do you manage ok with them, or do they cause a reaction?

There doesn't seem to be a definitive conclusion anywhere on whether traces of gluten and grain do get through to eggs or not?

Thanks so much for any knowledge people have on this.

Best wishes, Carolyn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa Mentor

Hi all,

Here in the UK you can't get eggs from chickens which are only raised on pasture and other non-grain feed. Hence, we don't have any choice but to eat eggs fed on wheat, corn, soya etc.

I just wondered how other super sensitives find eggs from chickens fed on grain? Do you manage ok with them, or do they cause a reaction?

There doesn't seem to be a definitive conclusion anywhere on whether traces of gluten and grain do get through to eggs or not?

Thanks so much for any knowledge people have on this.

Best wishes, Carolyn

Eating eggs should not be an issues, sensitive or not. There is no gluten in eggs.

IrishHeart Veteran

This issue has been discussed quite a bit on here and you are correct---there is no conclusion.

Some sensitives are going to come on and say Yes!... and some sensitive types, like me, will say Nope!

And someone will trot out the one lone "soy passing through to the egg" study from 2009 we have all seen. (there may even be another study done since that last discussion )

So, you're probably going to get a rehash of this age -old debate with no conclusions. Sorry. :(

carolynmay Apprentice

Ah - sorry - I hadn't realised this had been debated before. I had searched but hadn't found anything on it.

This is quite interesting, although again, sorry if this has been picked up before.

Open Original Shared Link

Something else I read suggested that when chickens are fed a diet of fish, the eggs can taste slightly of the fish.

Another one of the "who knows" I guess at this point..

Best wishes to all, Carolyn

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I have had fishy eggs, though it was a long time ago!

It is fantastically fashionable to keep chickens in the UK now. Not helpful if you live in a flat though. I have considered it, but I think my cat would find an exciting new pastime...

Only other way I can think if you are concerned is to ask at farmers markets or independent food suppliers, or farms/farm shops, depending how urban/rural you are.

ScottR13 Newbie

From my personal experience with Chickens, eggs & meat are fine the skin is another story. To me that tells me they are also unable to digest Gluten because we both eliminate it through our skin. I have outward symptoms to Wheat by the way.

Lisa Mentor

Although this article/blog is regarding grain fed beef, you may find it interesting:

“Grain-fed beef is fine. Before protein is absorbed it’s broken down into single amino acids or very short peptide fragments-no longer gluten.” — Tricia Thompson MSRD

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

From my personal experience with Chickens, eggs & meat are fine the skin is another story. To me that tells me they are also unable to digest Gluten because we both eliminate it through our skin. .

I'm sorry.....We eliminate gluten through our skin?

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Can you please explain this and provide some evidence ?

kareng Grand Master

From my personal experience with Chickens, eggs & meat are fine the skin is another story. To me that tells me they are also unable to digest Gluten because we both eliminate it through our skin. I have outward symptoms to Wheat by the way.

I thhink if you are going to make this type of statement, you need to present some reputable scientific evidence for it.

ScottR13 Newbie

I'm sorry.....We eliminate gluten through our skin?

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Can you please explain this and provide some evidence ?

Acne. If you can't digest it, 1 of your organs has to get rid of it. For me it's my skin. Which is why when I eat the skin from Chicken, I have a reaction.... Acne.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I don't have any scientific evidence that there is gluten in eggs. I only have my own experiences and those of my children which are subjective. It isn't easy finding chickens that aren't fed supplemental grain here either, especially in the winter. I live in the northern part of the country. I had eliminated eggs from the grocery store as I felt better when I didn't eat them. Then I found a farmer at a farmer's market who pasture raised her chickens and I started eating her eggs without any issues. When it got cold, I found that they were making me sick. I talked to her about it and she told me that they get wheat in the cold season. Now what I do is freeze a bunch of eggs during the summer when they don't make me sick, and then I have them to eat when the cold season comes along and they start to make me sick. My children also have problems with the eggs that coincide with mine.

Of course, this could all be in my head, and the power of my personality may be affecting my children, but those are my experiences.

I think that I am either a nut case, or much more sensitive than your average super sensitive celiac.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Acne. If you can't digest it, 1 of your organs has to get rid of it. For me it's my skin. Which is why when I eat the skin from Chicken, I have a reaction.... Acne.

I use to get eczema. I figured that something was coming out through my skin (maybe gluten) that really irritated my skin.

I have heard the skin called the third lung. It sheds wastes as the lungs do carbon dioxide.

kareng Grand Master

Once again...if you are going to make these claims, you need some scientific back-up for it. I think you are just playing with us.

The original topic is eggs.

jerseyangel Proficient

Could be the fat.

Do you have any references for your statements, or are you inferring them based on your symptoms?

GottaSki Mentor

I am a super super sensitive celiac. For quite a few months I thought gluten was contaminating many things that it was not.

Eggs is one of the very few foods I can eat safely - I purchase them from many grocery stores with no problem. My daughter has chickens - these eggs taste far superior to any I have purchased and they are likely better nutritionallly - but that does not mean the other eggs I puchase have gluten in them.

I am not trying to be disrespectful when I say the following because I live and practice this with many high lectin foods - if you are having any physical reaction to eggs remove them completely for six months and then trial them at six month intervals. You may get them back or you may remain intolerant of them for life - this does not mean they have gluten in them.

IrishHeart Veteran

I use to get eczema. I figured that something was coming out through my skin (maybe gluten) that really irritated my skin.

I have heard the skin called the third lung. It sheds wastes as the lungs do carbon dioxide.

Gluten proteins cannot somehow "seep out through our skin" nor does it seep into our skin.

The molecules are too big, for starters.

Why just gluten? Why wouldn't every single food protein we eat start oozing out of every pore?

Why wouldn't we soak up everything we touch, like giant sponges?

Because it is impossible.

If you understood the digestive process, you would know this is not possible. Proteins are broken down into amino acids...oh, why am I bothering with a lesson in anatomy? Suffice to say..."it cannot happen"

And I still do not see how it answers the OP's questions about eggs.

ScottR13 Newbie

Gluten proteins cannot somehow "seep out through our skin" nor does it seep into our skin.

The molecules are too big, for starters.

Why just gluten? Why wouldn't every single food protein we eat start oozing out of every pore?

Why wouldn't we soak up everything we touch, like giant sponges?

Because it is impossible.

If you understood the digestive process, you would know this is not possible. Proteins are broken down into amino acids...oh, why am I bothering with a lesson in anatomy? Suffice to say..."it cannot happen"

And I still do not see how it answers the OP's questions about eggs.

Your refering to how the digestive system is suppose to work, not how works when trying to get rid of Toxins (in this case Gluten).

Ps So food allergies only affect humans not animals?

kareng Grand Master

Your refering to how the digestive system is suppose to work, not how works when trying to get rid of Toxins (in this case Gluten).

You were asked to provide a legitimate/reputable back-up for your claims. Please refer to rule #5. Furthermore, human acne and a "theory" of "toxins" and other particles leeching thru human skin is off-topic.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have so many possible replies for you that I do not know which one to begin with, but here goes:

First of all, Celiac Disease---is not a food allergy. Please, learn that concept first.

Secondly, you are providing a buzzle article (which is someone's opinion) , not a Pub Med or scientific journal article. Here is the author's BIO:

Marlene Alphonse

Am a graduate in English Literature. Also hold a diploma degree in Translation Techniques.

Interests and Hobbies:

Reading and listening to music are my favorite ways to beat stress. Writing gives me a divine pleasure and allows me to scale new heights in this beautiful world of creativity and imagination.

I am not going to comment on her lack of complete sentences. She is an Engish Lit grad?

This thread was about EGGS.

You are so far off topic now.

ScottR13 Newbie

I have so many possible replies for you that I do not know which one to begin with, but here goes:

First of all, Celiac Disease---is not a food allergy. Please, learn that concept first.

Secondly, you are providing a buzzle article (which is someone's opinion) , not a Pub Med or scientific journal article. Here is the author's BIO:

Marlene Alphonse

Am a graduate in English Literature. Also hold a diploma degree in Translation Techniques.

Interests and Hobbies:

Reading and listening to music are my favorite ways to beat stress. Writing gives me a divine pleasure and allows me to scale new heights in this beautiful world of creativity and imagination.

I am not going to comment on her lack of complete sentences. She is an Engish Lit grad?

This thread was about EGGS.

You are so far off topic now.

1st, I don't have "celiac Disease" and this is not in the "Celiac Disease" forum, it's in the "sensitivity" forum. I am allergic to Gluten. Proven through blood tests ordered by my Doctor while on a Gluten Free Diet to confirm Allergy (after the simple blood test was done, I had no need to check for "Celiac Disease"). That makes Gluten a Toxin/Food Allergy. That's the reason for that link.

2nd, I was explaining that Gluten is not in Eggs (or meat) and how I know that. I have obvious reactions to Gluten (especially Wheat).

Lisa Mentor

1st, I don't have "celiac Disease" and this is not in the "Celiac Disease" forum, it's in the "sensitivity" forum. I am allergic to Gluten. Proven through blood tests ordered by my Doctor while on a Gluten Free Diet to confirm Allergy (after the simple blood test was done, I had no need to check for "Celiac Disease"). That makes Gluten a Toxin/Food Allergy. That's the reason for that link.

2nd, I was explaining that Gluten is not in Eggs (or meat) and how I know that. I have obvious reactions to Gluten (especially Wheat).

Hi Scott and Welcome to you!

Generally Celiac is tested through a blood test specific for Celiac Disease, an Endoscopy Exam and Biopsy and a positive dietary response can be diagnostic as well.

Can you share your positive blood tests for your gluten allergy? Many times some members can interpret them for you. Believe it or not, some people here know more about gluten, gluten allergies and Celiac Disease than some doctors. :rolleyes:

Do you feel better when you don't eat gluten? And when you do, do you you break out in a rash or acne? Maybe that's what you mean by gluten/toxins exiting out of your skin.

I'm glad you have joined us. :)Hope to hear back from you.

ScottR13 Newbie

Generally Celiac is tested through a blood test specific for Celiac Disease, an Endoscopy Exam and Biopsy and a positive dietary response can be diagnostic as well.

Can you share your positive blood tests for your gluten allergy? Many times some members can interpret them for you. Believe it or not, some people here know more about gluten, gluten allergies and Celiac Disease than some doctors. :rolleyes:

Do you feel better when you don't eat gluten? And when you do, do you you break out in a rash or acne? Maybe that's what you mean by gluten/toxins exiting out of your skin.

Hi and thank you.

I actually work for a Lab. I know how they diagnose Celiac Disease, I also know even after a positive scope & biopsy Dr's still won't recommend a Gluten Free Diet to their patient. They just don't understand & there is not much "mainstream" research done on Gluten.

I also know another test for Celiac. HLA Typing for Celiac Disease. Problem with that test is they only look for the DQ-2 & DQ-8. However, the DQ-1 & the DQ-3 will tell you if you are allergic to Gluten. Dr's don't look @ them. Again they don't understand.

My testing was a Wheat IgG, Barley IgG, & Rye IgG. Even if you are Gluten Free you still have antibodies and will get a number greater than 2 if you are allergic. My wife was tested for a Milk IgG (which she was diagnosed as Lactose Intolerant) and come to find out she is allergic to Milk, not "intolerant". Her & my 2 kids also tested positive for a Gluten Allergy by the way.

I have yet to see a Dr order Food IgG's on anybody. IgG's check for a Delayed Response to a allergen. I think everybody knows the body can have a instant response & delayed response to food, medication, insect bites, ect... Yet they won't order the IgG's. These tests are also sent out to a Reference Lab to be tested. They same Lab all there send out tests go to, so you know they are accurate.

Even some of the leading Gluten Researches don't talk about these tests ( Dr Mark Hyman, Dr Osborne, & Dr Alessio Fasano) it's crazy.

I've done lots of research (and testing) to try and understand Gluten and why so many people have a "issue" with it ( and a lot that don't know it).

ScottR13 Newbie

About how I feel not eating Gluten? Amazing. No more Acne (unless Glutenized), Arthritis, Acid Reflux, Sensitive teeth/gums, SOB, eczema, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, too many things to list.

The greatest thing happened a few months ago. I played 4 softball games in 2 days for the 1st time in 16 years & I was not even sore a little bit. I could not believe it. Any older athelete will understand what I'm saying. And I've only been Gluten Free for 11 months.

About a month ago I had more allergy tests done. I'm also allergic to Bananas, Strawberries, Pork, Lettuce, Goat Milk (not Cow Milk), and had a high number for Yeast (did not say allergy). I'm battling a chronic Yeast infection (on the skin) so I'm guessing thats why. It's not D.H.. So I need more allergy testing to find out why Yeast is out of control. Something's off balance. The allergy to Bananas & Lettuce was devastating, I ate them everyday since going gluten-free. But I know I have more "hidden" allergies.

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Scott!

You are correct about the lack of proper testing with regard to IgG's. My allergist only ordered them all AFTER I had already determined many of my food intolerances by strict elimination diet/trial and I was under the care of a top celiac doc whom did order genetic testing on me for DQ1, 2, 3 and 8.

That being said - Celiac Disease, Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI) and Gluten Allergy are often very confusing to those new to the idea that gluten may be causing them problems.

Your knowledge with regard to gluten allergy is invaluable here, but please remember your audience and make your statements clear with regard to Celiac Disease and Gluten Allergy.

GottaSki Mentor

About how I feel not eating Gluten? Amazing. No more Acne (unless Glutenized), Arthritis, Acid Reflux, Sensitive teeth/gums, SOB, eczema, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, too many things to list.

The greatest thing happened a few months ago. I played 4 softball games in 2 days for the 1st time in 16 years & I was not even sore a little bit. I could not believe it. Any older athelete will understand what I'm saying. And I've only been Gluten Free for 11 months.

Fantastic!!! It is amazing feeling to be get back physical abilities that were thought to be long lost. I must say when I read your story it sounds like you may indeed have Celiac Disease ALONG with Gluten Allergy - it is possible. The list of symptoms that you have improving over an eleven month period gluten-free sound very much like you may have both autoimmune and allergy related immune responses to gluten simultaneously.

Regardless of your label, I am very happy to hear you and your health are improving gluten-free.

Archived