18 replies to this topic

#1 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

For various reasons, doc and I decided I should do a mini-gluten challenge, part of figuring out why I still have major problems with D. So I carefully planned it out and last night had a few Trader Joe's dim sum in which I was sure the only ingredient that would bother me was the wheat.

Immediately my eyes, lips and face swelled up and my eyes got insanely itchy and watery. My face is still swollen the next day.

(Other results: My joint pain was off the hook this morning after improving during 3 months gluten free. The gastro symptoms are also there, but no worse than they've been with no gluten — which is to say, bad, but not stay-home-from-work bad.)

My doc has already diagnosed me as gluten sensitive/intolerant, but does this mean I have a wheat allergy in addition to that? My understanding is that the runny eyes and swelling are allergy symptoms, not intolerance symptoms.

I just plain feel like crap and am glad it's over. Not doing this ever again, I hope!

ps. I had the same swollen face reaction a month or two back when I accidentally ate so-called tomato paste that contained "wheat gluten."

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Raining Skittles

Raining Skittles

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

From what I understand, medical professionals many times do not truly understand Celiac or gluten intolerance and "intolerance" can certainly be an allergy.
I'm sorry to hear that your doctor recommended you intentionally gluten yourself. I hope your symptoms subside quickly.
Two abdominal surgeries in '74 removing 2/3 of small intestine.
IBS diagnosis in '93.
RA (mis)diagnosis in '97.
Pescetarian 2000-2009.
Gluten issue suspicion in Sep '11.
Dairy and gluten-free as of Aug '12.
Trying dairy again Nov '12.... we'll see....

#3 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

It's not possible to tell, because the dim sum could have contained so many different ingredients. But don't eat that, again, and you'd better start carrying benedryl antihistamine with you.

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I would also reccomend getting a epi pen just in case to have on hand.

#5 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Skittles, my poor doc went along with me on this, it was my idea... I wanted to be totally sure my chronic D is caused by gluten and not something else because 1) I still have the D after 3 months gluten-free and 2) I couldn't have a biopsy for financial reasons and because I have a bad duodenal ulcer that's too irritated for a 'scope. I had mixed blood results and was diagnosed from symptoms, elimination diet, low lymphocytes, elevated anti-gliadin IgA, and borderline ttg.

I'm sure the other dim sum ingredients weren't the problem — I've had all of them (pork, corn starch, etc) with no issues.

Yeah, carrying benedryl and epi-pen sound like good ideas.

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Three months on a gluten-free diet might not be long enough to clear up the D. I had D issues for 18 months--and I was very strict about following the diet and didn't have issues with other foods. However, what helped me was taking L-glutamine. That's what finally cleared it up.

#7 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thank you rosetapper... I knew I had to give it some time, but wow, 18 months. I will try the L-glutamine right away.

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, carrying benedryl and epi-pen sound like good ideas.

I ended up with anaphylactic reactions to seeds after I removed them during a very strict elimination diet along with a host of different reactions to many other foods. Allergy type symptoms are nothing to mess with as they often become worse with each accidental exposure. Call or email your primary to explain the reaction you experienced. Mine ordered epi pens immediately.

I also had follow up allergy testing for all my intolerances - I am neither IgE or IgG allergic to any of my intolerant foods - doesn't make the reactions any less severe, so yes you can have allergic type reaction to an intolerance.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi,

If you decide to do another food allergy test for some reason, be sure to do it at the doctor's office. That way if you have a severe reaction and can't breathe, they can try to save your life. That would be good, eh? My ex had her son tested for wheat alergies at the doctor's office and he had a bad reaction that was unexpected. They were able to take care of him but it wasn't looking too good for a while. The doctor did not expect the severe reaction that happened. But being in the doctor's office probably saved his life.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#10 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Wow, GottaSki and GFinDC, those are super scary stories!

I am emailing my doc today to share the results... and trust me, I don't plan on EVER eating wheat again. I got my answer, which was all I needed.

Whether I have other issues contributing to the D or not, I now know without a doubt that wheat and/or gluten is indeed a serious problem for me.

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Wow, GottaSki and GFinDC, those are super scary stories!

I am emailing my doc today to share the results... and trust me, I don't plan on EVER eating wheat again. I got my answer, which was all I needed.

Whether I have other issues contributing to the D or not, I now know without a doubt that wheat and/or gluten is indeed a serious problem for me.

It was very scary...

While I have not had to use the epi-pen yet - I do feel better knowing they are available and that my family knows how to use them.

I avoid seeds as I would gluten so no problems thus far. I do use benedryl for more mild reactions I have had to other intolerances.

Bottom line is now that I am aware of my potential problem foods and prepared for possible reactions -- I am no longer scared.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yep, scary stuff. You can avoid if you know the allergen is present, but you may not always know. So being prepared ahead of time is important. Carrying an EPI-pen and a med alert card is a good idea. You may not be able to help yourself, so it is important to let others know what to do.

http://www.foodaller...-food-allergies
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#13 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Wow, thanks for the info and link, very informative. I did once have an anaphylactic reaction once to tetracyclene in the doc's office, so they gave me epinephrine right there. I didn't know till now that means you can be more likely to react to other things, too.

#14 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

You are quite welcome Gatita. There is something called cross-reactivity with allergies that you may be affected by also. Cross-reactivity is when the allergic reaction kicks off to other foods besides the main allergen. Be wel! :)

#15 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks. Here's something interesting. I accidentally did my own at-home allergy skin scratch test for wheat!

I decided since I had that allergic reaction to throw out a bag of stale bread my (now gluten-free) housemate had been saving to make bread crumbs.

My forearm got accidentally scratched a little by the stale, rough bread... and guess what, the scratched area is still red and raised seven hours later. (No other reactions, thank goodness).

Guess I won't have to spend money on that test! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: