#1 StephieRN

StephieRN

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Good morning all!

I finally figured out how to get pics here from my phone. Soooo here are my pics if anyone would like to share an opinion.
Ok a little FYI info...
1. Rash didn't start until about 5 years ago, and this is about the 10th time I've had it.
2. These pics are 10 days into the rash, so I know they look very mild but I forgot to take pics at the beginning
3. This particular episode was set off by Ramen noodles, AKA the devils dinner
4. I was hesitant to share the one of my chest- this isn't how they really look- before the picture I was showing my daughter how the little blisters are fluid filled, so popping them- turning them into this blotchy mess for the camera.
5. My head and ears and butt itch the most, yet no rash. Weird.

http://s1355.photobu...ser_media_share

I hope those links work! I have no idea what I'm doing LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kmag

kmag

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Looks like DH to me. My rash used to look just like this before being gluten free for some time. My guess is that between the wheat noodles and the massive salt hit from the ramen flavouring is what caused this particular outbreak.

I'm also very itchy even where there's no rash. Drives me crazy to say the least.

#3 StephieRN

StephieRN

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

Kmag are your outbreaks pretty much a rare thing now? I'm hoping that since mine are mild they won't come back almost ever after going gluten-free. *crossing fingers*

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Yup, between the blisters, the photos & the itching; I say it looks like dh.

I hope after gluten-free they almost never or never come back for you but just remember they can. And dh is very, very sensitive to the tiniest amount of gluten. So don't take any chances. Play it really safe otherwise it may go gangbusters on you.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 kmag

kmag

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

If I keep my diet simple and lower iodine then my skin is better. I used to have that red rash you have, but that's gone now and what's left is more like purigo nodularis, but not exactly. The bumps I have will flare and blister if I get cc'd or have too much iodine. I am still terribly itchy in general, but I do believe that I'm slowly healing as it's so much better than before. For the record, I've been gluten-free for 20 months now.

I really hope that once you are gluten-free it'll never come back. I can't see any reason to think otherwise. Good luck!

#6 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Good morning all!

I finally figured out how to get pics here from my phone. Soooo here are my pics if anyone would like to share an opinion.
Ok a little FYI info...
1. Rash didn't start until about 5 years ago, and this is about the 10th time I've had it.
2. These pics are 10 days into the rash, so I know they look very mild but I forgot to take pics at the beginning
3. This particular episode was set off by Ramen noodles, AKA the devils dinner
4. I was hesitant to share the one of my chest- this isn't how they really look- before the picture I was showing my daughter how the little blisters are fluid filled, so popping them- turning them into this blotchy mess for the camera.
5. My head and ears and butt itch the most, yet no rash. Weird.

I hope those links work! I have no idea what I'm doing LOL

Your pics link came through. The front view of you is what I looked like all over! My scalp, back, front and butt. I have some lesions around my knees and on my arms too. I am a self diagnosed DH person. I had the scalp and feet breakouts since at least 1999, of and on.

I have been gluten free and on Dapsone for 4 weeks and the improvement is drastic! I still have itchiness but if I shower or take a bath and lotion up, it will subside somewhat. I am also taking Benadryl most everyday. I am using Argan Oil and it is helping with the roughness of my skin. I have even melted the ointment so I can apply it more easily to my scalp.

I broke out all over my body this past March and just knew I could not live without a diagnosis. I have good results with my BS being much better and I have lost 20 lbs in the 4 weeks. My blood test was negative and I am still scheduled to have an endoscopy but even if the results are negative. . . . I will always eat gluten free! When I am going out to eat I check online to see the allergen menu of the restaurant and that has helped me immensely. I don't want my social activities to suffer due to this disease. You can eat out and be safe. I never have like Ramen noodles so I'm safe from that. . . Good luck!

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#7 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

I can't figure out why I'm so broke out now. My head gets really bad with some on my face sometimes, my back, stomach and butt.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#8 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

I can't figure out why I'm so broke out now. My head gets really bad with some on my face sometimes, my back, stomach and butt.

Sometimes my scalp is horrible, like right now.  I found out a few weeks ago I was eating some veggies that are high in iodine.  Red food coloring has iodine . . . may have to sit down and write/print out a list so I won't forget!  

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#9 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Red food coloring #3 is the one with iodine. Red #40 is fine. That's in the US --- other countries may be different.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#10 crazyfly

crazyfly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi, I can't really say by looking but I can describe how mine feels. The itch is insane. Given a choice between having sex while eating chocolate cake on a yacht in the Caribbean, and scratching, I'd take scratching every time. If you've ever had a cold sore on a lip, that's kind of how the rash feels and acts.

What I've learned over the years is; Don't scratch. Do not pop them. Don't put anything on them except ice, Betamethasone if you can get the prescription (use a tiny amount, don't coat the area), and rubbing alcohol or something like Everclear to help with the itching. Change your towel and washcloth after each shower. Use the coolest water you can take and NO baths until the rash is completely gone. Do not use neosporin or tea tree oil or anything else that might irritate the skin.

Others here may have had different experiences, these are mine. I no longer use deodorant. I use only Dove soap for sensitive skin and I avoid putting ANYTHING on my skin.

#11 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hi, I can't really say by looking but I can describe how mine feels. The itch is insane. Given a choice between having sex while eating chocolate cake on a yacht in the Caribbean, and scratching, I'd take scratching every time. If you've ever had a cold sore on a lip, that's kind of how the rash feels and acts.

What I've learned over the years is; Don't scratch. Do not pop them. Don't put anything on them except ice, Betamethasone if you can get the prescription (use a tiny amount, don't coat the area), and rubbing alcohol or something like Everclear to help with the itching. Change your towel and washcloth after each shower. Use the coolest water you can take and NO baths until the rash is completely gone. Do not use neosporin or tea tree oil or anything else that might irritate the skin.

Others here may have had different experiences, these are mine. I no longer use deodorant. I use only Dove soap for sensitive skin and I avoid putting ANYTHING on my skin.

I'm following your rubbing alcohol treatment. . . I stopped taking Dapsone, I think I had a Dapsone rash in addition to the DH.   :mellow:   I have question.   About the rash . . . is every lesion a blister with fluid?  I'm still trying to track down all I can to present to my doctors.  I have a DH diagnosis but not every lesion had fluid.  I scratched and the skin opened and bled and then it was a hot mess.   I definitely have had blisters with amber fluid and then some that were very small blisters, felt the liquid but they didn't bleed.   Thanks for any help or advice.

~  Lyn

~Lyn~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: