4 replies to this topic

#1 melon_uk

melon_uk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced low stomach acid after being glutened. I've been gluten free since july and everything was going great, my health started to improve dramatically (I also discovered lactose intolerance after a couple of weeks gluten-free). Then a couple of weeks ago I was at a party and sadly, the chocolate cake was just toooo tempting and I did consume quite a few small pieces. In the early hours of the morning, i developed the worst migraine i've ever had, experienced cold sweats and nearly passed out. I could hardly get out of bed but the next day I started to feel better. The problem is, since then, I have had low stomach acid and i'm now taking betaine hcl which has been an amazing help (i had problems with low stomach acid occasionally before i went gluten-free). Also, i'm self diagnosed which has started me thinking that maybe gluten wasn't the problem after all (though when I look at the whole picture I realise that it HAS to be gluten)

anyone out there who has had similar experience? I'm almost tempted to eat a slice of bread just to check :o(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Pac

Pac

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I had the same problem before going gluten-free and twice after bad glutenning - each time it took me about 3 months to get better.

#3 melon_uk

melon_uk

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I had the same problem before going gluten-free and twice after bad glutenning - each time it took me about 3 months to get better.

3 months is a long time and i'm worried about 2 weeks! thanks for the reply :) . I guess this is the problem with self-diagnosis, It never occurred to me at the time though. I was just having so many problems that i was desperate to try and get better pretty pronto!

#4 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm curious what are the symptoms of low stomach acid?

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#5 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I had low stomach acid production long before I was diagnosed with celiac disease and continued having symptoms for another 4 years after I abstained from gluten. My low stomach acid symptoms included feeling overly full after small meals containing proteins or fats, bloating, gas, reflux, constipation and susceptibility to frequent small intestinal 'infections' (or overgrowths). I was diagnosed with and treated for 8 different gut bugs (5 bacteria, 2 parasites and candida) within a 4 year period. After I was diagnosed by Heidelberg capsule test with low stomach acid production and treated with betaine hydrocholoride capsules (I now take 4 with most meals), I had no more gut bugs (according to subsequent stool tests). My symptoms of feeling overly full, bloating, and gas also decreased greatly. I didn't completely resolve the constipation until after I was dx'd with hypothyroidism and treated with an effective kind and level of thyroid supplement.

For more information on low stomach acid production, read "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" by Dr. Jonathon Wright.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: