Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Terrible Symptoms After Flights Home

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

First-timer to the site. Diagnosed in May. Dieting since June. All has been well, EXCEPT when I fly. It has nothing to do with the foods I eat while away from home because I am sticking to the diet. And I never feel the symptoms following my departing flight. But following my return flight, I experience 2-3 days of bad stomach cramps, diarrea, etc. Most of my return flights are very early in the morning; I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Any help?

Thanks.

-Josh

Ads by Google:

Welcome to the board Josh. You are eating the same foods as you do at home but how are they being prepared? Could cross contamination in the kitchens where you are staying be an issue?

How many time zones do you cross? When I fly internationally I always have a couple of off, almost ill days. Very nauseous, etc. after returning back. Jetlag can really make one ill.

Hey Josh,

I don't have quite the same situation as you do but I have found that when I take off and land more than once in a day (and it is worse on the way back for some reason) I end up feeling very bloated and uncomfortable for a couple of days and then it has to "work itself out". The best answer I have come up with is actually taking some dramamine or something similar. I never thought that I was dealing with motion sickness but I think it must be something like that. It does seem to make a difference for me.

Even with that I will admit that very long flights make my body pretty angry and this is why I should own stock in Pepto...

Hope this helps!!

I've noticed problems after flying too even though I don't eat anything on the plane. This is flying from the west coast to the east coast.

This is very interesting since I have experience similiar. When you fly, your body gets very dehydrated. I always purchase the largest water bottle offered at the gift shop right before getting on the plane and try to drink it ALL before I land. This way, I stay hydrated and I can be sure to flush myself out once I arrive (which can help with bloating). I also only bring certain snacks (a cut up fruit with some nuts, some turkey) to munch on if I feel like I need a little something.

Hope this helps!