#1 JoshuaRey

JoshuaRey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

First-timer to the site. Diagnosed in May. Dieting since June. All has been well, EXCEPT when I fly. It has nothing to do with the foods I eat while away from home because I am sticking to the diet. And I never feel the symptoms following my departing flight. But following my return flight, I experience 2-3 days of bad stomach cramps, diarrea, etc. Most of my return flights are very early in the morning; I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Any help?

Thanks.

-Josh

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Welcome to the board Josh. You are eating the same foods as you do at home but how are they being prepared? Could cross contamination in the kitchens where you are staying be an issue?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

How many time zones do you cross? When I fly internationally I always have a couple of off, almost ill days. Very nauseous, etc. after returning back. Jetlag can really make one ill.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Rachelcooks

Rachelcooks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hey Josh,
I don't have quite the same situation as you do but I have found that when I take off and land more than once in a day (and it is worse on the way back for some reason) I end up feeling very bloated and uncomfortable for a couple of days and then it has to "work itself out". The best answer I have come up with is actually taking some dramamine or something similar. I never thought that I was dealing with motion sickness but I think it must be something like that. It does seem to make a difference for me.
Even with that I will admit that very long flights make my body pretty angry and this is why I should own stock in Pepto...
Hope this helps!!

#5 twe0708

twe0708

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've noticed problems after flying too even though I don't eat anything on the plane. This is flying from the west coast to the east coast.

#6 Allisonivy89

Allisonivy89

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

This is very interesting since I have experience similiar. When you fly, your body gets very dehydrated. I always purchase the largest water bottle offered at the gift shop right before getting on the plane and try to drink it ALL before I land. This way, I stay hydrated and I can be sure to flush myself out once I arrive (which can help with bloating). I also only bring certain snacks (a cut up fruit with some nuts, some turkey) to munch on if I feel like I need a little something.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: