Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Rash That Looks Like Bites? Due To Gluten? (Photos)

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 LundqvistSaves

LundqvistSaves

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hello!

After a year of constant sickness and stumping 4 gastroenterolists, I was finally diagnosed with a rare parasite. Needless to say, my GI is all messed up and I am slowly healing. I also think I may be gluten intolerant (was tested for celiac and gluten allergy, but came back negative).

One symptom I noticed when I wasn't yet strict on my gluten-free diet were these random welts that I would discover every other week. It seemed like only one would form and then dissolve, then maybe I'd get another one two weeks later. They were incredibly itchy, and honestly I had always thought it was just a spider bite. I went back on a gluten-free diet and they seemed to go away. I thought maybe it was due to gluten, but i'd eat it occasionally (a slice of pizza maybe once or twice a week) and it wouldn't always happen.

I've been totally gluten-free for 2-3 months now. Now on Tuesday, I broke out on the left side of my neck, left forearm and left finger in a whole bunch together -- probably 12 total (most I've had at once was 2). I went to the doctor and he diagnosed it as shingles (because they are all just on one side of my body). He said he was "95% sure", despite the fact that I have no pain at all, no sick feelings, and absolutely no blistering which are all symptoms of shingles. The only thing I can think of was I had toasted some bread in a toaster oven the day before the bumps broke out. There is the possibility of cross contamination, but just a few days earlier than that I had done the exact same thing and had no problems at all.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms. I added photos, I'm sorry that they are so gross. I was hoping someone would recognize the same type of rash. I honestly don't think it's shingles. Could this be gluten? If so, why does it only happen sometimes, and why would it happen so badly this time if it was just a little cross contamination?
Thank You!

http://i3.photobucke...ngelo/photo.jpg
http://i3.photobucke...elo/photo-2.jpg

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mri3

Mri3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Hello!

After a year of constant sickness and stumping 4 gastroenterolists, I was finally diagnosed with a rare parasite. Needless to say, my GI is all messed up and I am slowly healing. I also think I may be gluten intolerant (was tested for celiac and gluten allergy, but came back negative).

One symptom I noticed when I wasn't yet strict on my gluten-free diet were these random welts that I would discover every other week. It seemed like only one would form and then dissolve, then maybe I'd get another one two weeks later. They were incredibly itchy, and honestly I had always thought it was just a spider bite. I went back on a gluten-free diet and they seemed to go away. I thought maybe it was due to gluten, but i'd eat it occasionally (a slice of pizza maybe once or twice a week) and it wouldn't always happen.

I've been totally gluten-free for 2-3 months now. Now on Tuesday, I broke out on the left side of my neck, left forearm and left finger in a whole bunch together -- probably 12 total (most I've had at once was 2). I went to the doctor and he diagnosed it as shingles (because they are all just on one side of my body). He said he was "95% sure", despite the fact that I have no pain at all, no sick feelings, and absolutely no blistering which are all symptoms of shingles. The only thing I can think of was I had toasted some bread in a toaster oven the day before the bumps broke out. There is the possibility of cross contamination, but just a few days earlier than that I had done the exact same thing and had no problems at all.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms. I added photos, I'm sorry that they are so gross. I was hoping someone would recognize the same type of rash. I honestly don't think it's shingles. Could this be gluten? If so, why does it only happen sometimes, and why would it happen so badly this time if it was just a little cross contamination?
Thank You!

http://i3.photobucke...ngelo/photo.jpg
http://i3.photobucke...elo/photo-2.jpg

Hi, it may be you are reacting to the wheat - more so as an allergy, rather than just to the gluten. I found after doing an elimination diet to determine exactly what I was reacting to, that it was a reaction to wheat. I did not have reactions or skin lesions/red spots with any other grain - only with wheat. I have removed wheat completely from my diet. I follow very "clean eating" now. I thought I was eating "healthy" all along - I was always very careful - but I was unaware of my wheat/gluten allergies/intolerance. Occasionally I have had a slice of pizza etc. - but pay the price. I found that since removing wheat from my diet, all my symptoms have been erased; but I am also that much more sensitive to the wheat when I do consume it (as my tolerance is no longer built up to it). And also notable, I react differently to different wheat. My research has shown those with wheat allergies are more reactive to GMO (genetically modified) wheat vs. organic wheat. And i believe I read that re: GMO wheat - there are something like 25,000 different forms of it. I react to both, but much more severely when the wheat is not organic. And the reaction comes from consuming merely a piece of cake, a cookie, a piece of pizza. So you may need to determine if it is not just the gluten you're intolerant to, but possibly maintain an additional wheat allergy. (when I did the testing I was extremely thorough - I did not react to barley or rye at all to the degree that i did with wheat ... wheat even induces "allergy" symptoms such as sinus headache, stuffy nose, watery eyes, itchy lesions - since eliminating wheat I no longer require Claritin or antihistamines; all these years I thought I suffered from seasonal allergies to the outdoors!) Best of luck to you ; try to identify the culprit & you'll banish the skin lesions ... mine are completely gone.

#3 kmag

kmag

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Gotta say it doesn't sound like shingles to me either. The hallmark of shingles is severe pain before the appearance of blisters, of which you have neither. Looks a lot like hives, but I couldn't say if it's from gluten or not. You are obviously reacting to something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: