Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Am I Seeing Celiac Where It Doesn't Exist?

3 posts in this topic

I feel like the kid from the Sixth Sense, "I see celiac people".

But seriously... I was just diagnosed through biopsy in June, and have been gluten-free ever since. My symptoms are improving, and I'm doing okay.

However, I now have concerns that my husband could also be celiac. He's having quite a few health problems. I really just wanted to see if other people had these particular illnesses, and were diagnosed w/ celiac.

So, he had multiple, large blood clots in both his lungs (pulmonary embolisms) late last year. The doctors said many looked "old", and that new ones had been building on top. We were very lucky to have discovered it in time. We never found an answer, why he got these, he had not traveled, he had not had a physical trauma, nor genetic issues.

We've been to the ER with him about 7 times in the past year, with odd symptoms, arm and leg numbness, chest pain, shortness of breath. CAT scans show that his clots have not returned, thank goodness. After many, many tests, they discovered he has some stenosis, degeneration and bone spurs in his spine, in at least two seperate pairs of vertabrae. It helps explain many of his symptoms... but I have to wonder why all the illnesses are suddenly popping up. He just turned 40 years old.

He also is often tired, naps a lot, joint pain... but he works a lot and is a tall big man...

I have seen people discussing bone degeneration and blood clots, are these somewhat common celiac issues... or am I just putting together puzzle pieces that don't belong?

He's been very supportive to me as I have been learning, and changing my life due to celiac. When I have bought up the possibility that he could have it as well, he shrugs it off. I am also about 99% sure my father is celiac, with good reason, he has fibromyalgia and is a textbook celiac case. I think my husband just believes I am seeing it everywhere now.

Thanks for any insight.

Ads by Google:

It is entirely possible your husband has it, but many many other autoimmune diseases can cause blood clotting problems and blood circulation problems. I know Lupus patients can get blood clots and I believe that Raynauds affects circulation too. Diabetes can cause clots... I would look through some of the other AI disorders and see if any fit better.

In the case of your father, I would say that is probably more likely because AI disorders tend to run in families. Would he be open to testing for celiac and other AI disorders?

It is entirely possible your husband has it, but many many other autoimmune diseases can cause blood clotting problems and blood circulation problems. I know Lupus patients can get blood clots and I believe that Raynauds affects circulation too. Diabetes can cause clots... I would look through some of the other AI disorders and see if any fit better.

In the case of your father, I would say that is probably more likely because AI disorders tend to run in families. Would he be open to testing for celiac and other AI disorders?

Hmm, that's true, his uncle just had a clot recently, and he was getting tested for lupus, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the advice, I will check out different AI disorders.

My father had the blood celiac test done, and it came back negative, apparently. He also has bone spurs and degeneration in his spine. He has a huge amount of crazy symptoms and decades of serious health problems. I've discussed it quite a bit with my parents, and I do think he suspects he could have it, but I can;t see him being very willing to make the lifestyle and diet changes to get better. I will bring up the idea of looking into other AI diseases with him as well. Thanks again!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi, No, I do not have celiac  disease. I have an ankylosing spondylitis which is an auto-immune disease provoking an inflammation of the joints. Under the advice and supervision of my doctor and the professor at the hospital I follow a gluten free & casein free diet, which is extremely successful in preventing inflammatory events. And I've been doing so, strictly, for more than 6 years. So I'm not Celiac, but I can tell you that I react strongly every time I take gluten even in small amounts. Even soya sauce, which according to this website has an almost zero dose of gluten, is a lot too much for me. Nevertheless I allow myself to eat food which has been processed in a factory which processes gluten. To conclude, I would say that when you are travelling, especially in a country where celiac disease is scarcely known, you should be twice as careful as when you're going out at home. In the end you can never guarantee that the cook has cleaned his pan after using soya sauce and so on... You can only bet
    • Along those lines, many Americans are now pursuing gluten-free eating. Gluten ... Diagnosis of celiac disease typically requires a history and physical ... View the full article
    • No!  Once you fill the tub, if you sit in it for 3 minutes or you stay for 10... It doesn't change the amount or cost of the water.  That's only relevant if you have 3 kids to cycle thru that same water.  Is your hub bathing in the same water after you? Lol  And even if you add some more hot and stay longer....well...it's much cheaper than perscription meds, vodka or a substance that is legal in a few states.     Of course this only pertains to those of use with running water.... If you make your hub haul water from the creek or well and heat it over a fire....
    • Whether it is bona fide dermatitis herpetiformis, or severe eczema or hives or what have you, we all want to know how to stop the incessant itching.  Through all my research, the solution comes down to one thing: a good long soak in the tub-- with baking soda or Epsom salts or some kind of herbal tea, followed by a rub down in thick expensive lotion.  I don't know about you, but I was brought up to "get in, get done get out."  A long soak in the bath was a frivolous luxury, and a waste of time and hot water.  So now I'm having this awful breakout from forgetting to read a label and got wheated.  And every night I've been soaking in a baking soda bath to relieve the itching and aid my recovery.  And it's been hard! (But it's been very helpful too)  It has been hard to reconcile this "frivolous luxury and waste of time" as medically necessary!  Fortunately I've had no judging, and only support from my husband, who has had a similar upbringing.  Does anyone else struggle with this?
    • His son, Eli, had been misdiagnosed with celiac disease, so the family tried some gluten-free foods. After adding quinoa (KEEN-wah) to their diet, ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• HappyMom623

I have Tangled problem! I want all the things Rapunzel Related....including Flynn Rider 😂 but seriously. I have like 8 shirts I want.
      · 0 replies
    • AprilBeth2013

RT @MarkDever: “But the work is God’s and we do not fear the final results. ‘The heathen shall be given to His Son for His inheritance,’ .…
      · 0 replies
    • silk

I have celiac disease and have been gluten-free for almost 10 years.  I am extremely sensitive to gluten, noting that I react within 15 minutes of contact and in fact the doctor suspects that there may also be an actual wheat allergy at play but have never bothered to be tested since I avoid it like the plague!  I am curious to know if anyone else reacts to flax or inulin?  My symptoms with those two are almost identical to gluten so I have to really watch for that in gluten-free breads and baking and recently discovered after the fact that flax was in the juice I was drinking. I know that people with gluten issues can have other problems as well and in fact I also avoid milk products.  Even after 10 years, and although it has become a way of life, it's still frustrating to have to read every ingredient on every label.😞
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    3boymommy