8 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

I am currently not sure if i react to coconut milk but that doesn't seem to have much in the way of calcium. I'm not positive if i have a salicylic acid reaction to things so i'm steering clear of almond a while longer.....i don't want to drink rice dream..not sure if that is calcium fortified anyhow. I'm trying to make sure i get a good intake of calcium...i got all the info on foods..but i want a drink. Orange juice is out as well. Are there calcium fortified rice milks out there that super sensitives don't react to? Pacific foods apparently make their drinks on the same line as one with wheat now so they're out...i really want something safe with calcium here...help?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

There are plenty of foods that offer a lot of calcium other than milk. If you aren't drinking dairy, I would look into food sources rather than counting on finding a safe rice alternative that is calcium fortified. Finding a dairy substitute that doesn't suck was enough to make me want to beat my head off a wall. Then I decided that I was just going to deal with it and drink dairy. (Not too much of an issue for me.) I included a link that has some information about calcium in foods, but do a little research one afternoon and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that there is a lot of calcium available that isn't from cows without us counting on it being from fortified sources.

http://health.usnews...ds-with-calcium

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

:( Sorry I've already read up tons on this. Soy is out for me. I'm not intolerant that i know of but it affects my thyroid. Leafy greens to me seems like it would be practically impossible to get it all from that...nuts i haven't re-introduced yet..i want to eat almonds and drink almond milk but they are high in salicylates and I'm not rishing into that. I don't know a whole lot about salicylic acid....broccoli is one step down from almonds inn terms of how high the acid is in it..i can eat a cup of broccoli a day so i'm not sure if that means almonds won't be a problem or not? *siiiiiigh* Supplementation is definitely not a way i want to go. If I could drink a cup of almond milk a day i wouldn't worry about it.

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

That is rough!!! :( I'm sorry, I thought I was being helpful. I really have no other suggestions since like everything in existence is made of seaweed or sea salt. I gave up for myself. You can always make your own rice milk, which isn't fortified but is safe. Then you can get yummy chewable calcium. :D

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

But do calcium pills upset the tummy like other vitamins? :(

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I've never gotten sick from calcium chews. (Have never checked if they are gluten free.) Vitamins make me horridly ill and I absolutely won't take them. I couldn't even take them when I was pregnant because of how sick I got. Calcium though has just never caused issues, at least for me. Of course, we're all unique animals so who knows.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

*nods* maybe there is something about calcium who knows. I know Iron is really rough on the tummy. Between calcium and Iron I really ought to get into blackstrap molasses :P

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

BAKING!!! What we clearly need is a good recipe for molasses cookies.

Honey, do you really need to eat 4 cookies every morning for breakfast?
Yes. That is how many it takes to get as much molasses as I need every day. Be a dear and warm up the car, we need to buy me new pants.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

hehehehe hilarious