Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Where To Get Blood Test When Uninsured And Poor?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Hi guys,

I'm new to the site and forum. My sister has Celiac Disease (tested positive) and her numbers have been slowly and steadily decreasing over the past year as she has been on the gluten-free diet.

My other immediate family members have all been tested negative, but I think all they got was the tTG one. I want the full panel but it costs $299 through one of the sites where you can order your own blood tests without going through a doctor.

My local community health clinic does not offer Celiac testing.

Where can I go if I'm poor and uninsured to pay for Celiac testing and also Gliadin Antibodies (AGA-IgA and AGA-IgG), which are NOT included anymore in standard Celiac tests?

Thanks guys!!

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

There are free screenings in some areas. Chicago does one in October. I sawone on the Calender on this site for florida. MIght see if your local Celiac support group has any info.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

http://www.healthche...ehensive/63473/

This panel is $200 - it includes Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP), but not AGA. I did contact them for a price on an individual test for one of my kids at one point - so perhaps you can contact them and check if they offer AGAs.

Good Luck :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 jwblue

jwblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

http://www.healthche...ehensive/63473/

This panel is $200 - it includes Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP), but not AGA. I did contact them for a price on an individual test for one of my kids at one point - so perhaps you can contact them and check if they offer AGAs.

Good Luck :)

I was going to do this test. How important is AGA?

Where can I get a complete test?

Can I get an AGA test at another lab? Do they need to be compared to other blood tests?

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

The DGP is the newer Gliadin based test.

Of all the Celiac antibody tests, the AGA is the least important. I would feel confident having my kids tested with DGP rather than AGA.

The only place I know to have all possible tests ordered is from your doctor - perhaps someone else knows of another a source.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#6 jwblue

jwblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

The DGP is the newer Gliadin based test.

Of all the Celiac antibody tests, the AGA is the least important. I would feel confident having my kids tested with DGP rather than AGA.

The only place I know to have all possible tests ordered is from your doctor - perhaps someone else knows of another a source.

Is this it?

http://www.walkinlab...h_category_id=1

#7 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Jwblue, that one's just the 2 older tests.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#8 jwblue

jwblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Jwblue, that one's just the 2 older tests.

GS mentioned

but not AGA.

Is that the AGA?

http://www.walkinlab...h_category_id=1

#9 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Yes, JW - it's not always written the same, but "Gliadin Antibodies (AGA-IgA and AGA-IgG)" seems to cover/combine all the names.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#10 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yes, JW - it's not always written the same, but "Gliadin Antibodies (AGA-IgA and AGA-IgG)" seems to cover/combine all the names.

That's right:

AGA = Anti-Gliadin Antibodies or Gliadin Antibodies
DGP = Deamidated Gliadin Peptide Antibodies

Both can be tested based on either IgA or IgG

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

There is a Biocard home test too. It only tests ttg IgA and will indicate if your total serum IgA is at adequate levels to test. It was $50 in Canada.

You could always go gluten-free and look for improvements and then when you have insurance you could do a gluten challenge for a few months and retest then. Not ideal but it's an option if you can't get tested now.

Good luck and best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Can I get an AGA test at another lab? Do they need to be compared to other blood tests?

The AGA-IgG and AGA-IgA are mostly used to test for non-Celiac gluten sensitivity, as these are the antibodies that go after gliadin. There was a recent paper done that showed that there is a separate, distinct condition which exists separate from Celiac Disease (but involves many of the same symptoms as Celiac Disease) and is called gluten sensitivity.

Gluten Sensitivity: The body produces an immune response, but not an autoimmune response, to gliadin. Autoimmune response means the body is attacking itself (thereby destroying the intestinal tissue/villi/etc), whereas an immune response just means that the body is attacking the "foreign invader."

Gluten sensitivity would mean your body is producing antibodies against gliadin but that it's not sending antibodies after your own tissues or tearing up your gut.

Whereas the full Celiac panel would most likely not include this aspect of the test.

The Gluten Sensitivity blood test costs $109 at https://directlabs.c...US/Default.aspx, just type "gliadin" in the search bar and it comes up.

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

#13 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

The AGA-IgG and AGA-IgA are mostly used to test for non-Celiac gluten sensitivity, as these are the antibodies that go after gliadin. There was a recent paper done that showed that there is a separate, distinct condition which exists separate from Celiac Disease (but involves many of the same symptoms as Celiac Disease) and is called gluten sensitivity.

Gluten Sensitivity: The body produces an immune response, but not an autoimmune response, to gliadin. Autoimmune response means the body is attacking itself (thereby destroying the intestinal tissue/villi/etc), whereas an immune response just means that the body is attacking the "foreign invader."

Gluten sensitivity would mean your body is producing antibodies against gliadin but that it's not sending antibodies after your own tissues or tearing up your gut.

Whereas the full Celiac panel would most likely not include this aspect of the test.

The Gluten Sensitivity blood test costs $109 at https://directlabs.c...US/Default.aspx, just type "gliadin" in the search bar and it comes up.

Yes, the Deamidated Gliadin Peptide is the newer version of testing for the production of antibodies against the peptides of one of the proteins found in gluten - Gliadin. The DGP is preferable to AGA - IMO.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#14 jwblue

jwblue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Thank you. I don't care about gluten sensitivity. Just Celiac.

#15 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

There are free screenings in some areas. Chicago does one in October. I sawone on the Calender on this site for florida. MIght see if your local Celiac support group has any info.

thank you; I will do that today

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: