arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Where To Get Blood Test When Uninsured And Poor?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Ok so I just finished calling every "community" health clinic--which basically means "free" or "sliding scale" clinic--in my county. None of them offer Celiac testing. Even the hospital labs that I just called don't directly test Celiac--they send them out to another lab to do it. WOW huh????

And Celiac testing isn't even covered by Medicare in most cases--which I don't have anyway, but looked it up out of curiosity.

So my only real chance at getting a Celiac test seems to be to order it myself through one of the above-mentioned links. That's gonna hurt to the tune of $200-$300. I don't have it but my fiance has offered to pay it for me. I hate to ask so much of him, and it will probably come out negative due to the fact that blood testing for celiac disease isn't very accurate...

But my sister has been diagnosed with celiac disease. So I should do it.

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Ok so I just finished calling every "community" health clinic--which basically means "free" or "sliding scale" clinic--in my county. None of them offer Celiac testing. Even the hospital labs that I just called don't directly test Celiac--they send them out to another lab to do it. WOW huh????

And Celiac testing isn't even covered by Medicare in most cases--which I don't have anyway, but looked it up out of curiosity.

So my only real chance at getting a Celiac test seems to be to order it myself through one of the above-mentioned links. That's gonna hurt to the tune of $200-$300. I don't have it but my fiance has offered to pay it for me. I hate to ask so much of him, and it will probably come out negative due to the fact that blood testing for celiac disease isn't very accurate...

If you have removed gluten or even gone gluten light the tests will not be as accurate as possible.

If you haven't removed gluten, but have symptoms - have the blood drawn and then remove ALL gluten - this is often the best test.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't know if this is available in your area but here we have hospitals and labs that will charge a sliding or no fee scale to folks that have a low income and no insurance. You would apply through the hospitals finance office. My local hospitals will cover anything billed by the hospital including lab work that might need to be sent out. The only draw back is they don't cover the private physicans bills. You might be able to get the sliding or no fee scale from the hospital and then go into a clinic with the list of the tests needed so they can write the script to take to the hospitals lab.
If none of that is possible then you do have the option of giving the diet a good strict try for a few months. The one big draw back to that is being gluten free or gluten light will mean a good chance of a false negative on future testing without a gluten challenge.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#19 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

I don't know if this is available in your area but here we have hospitals and labs that will charge a sliding or no fee scale to folks that have a low income and no insurance. You would apply through the hospitals finance office. My local hospitals will cover anything billed by the hospital including lab work that might need to be sent out. The only draw back is they don't cover the private physicans bills. You might be able to get the sliding or no fee scale from the hospital and then go into a clinic with the list of the tests needed so they can write the script to take to the hospitals lab.
If none of that is possible then you do have the option of giving the diet a good strict try for a few months. The one big draw back to that is being gluten free or gluten light will mean a good chance of a false negative on future testing without a gluten challenge.

But I wouldn't be able to just walk in to the lab and get the test done directly; I'd need to be written up for lab work by a doctor, and that means I'd have to go and see the doctor first (and the sliding scale thing would not apply to the doctor's visit), and doctors visits can cost $100-$300, so that kind of makes applying for the hospital's lab sliding scale fee pointless because I'd end up paying about the same anyways as I would by going to DirectLabs and just paying for that out of pocket.

I've heard of hospitals and universities doing free celiac testing but it only involves the tTG IgA one, not all the others in the complete panel. I'll end up having to pay for the entire thing out of pocket; there is just no way around it...

- Diagnosed Celiac in May 2014. Gluten-free diet immediately

- Tested VERY high for thyroid antibodies May 2014 but T4, T3 and TSH are in "normal" ranges

- Have experienced chronic fatigue and decreased cognitive and memory function for years

- Sister has been diagnosed with Celiac, autism, schizophrenia and depression

- Mom, dad and other sister are "weak positives" for Celiac
- Mom has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: