Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Longhorn Steakhouse Horror Story

2 posts in this topic

I've been Gluten free for about three years now, and have often come to this website for advise, but this is my first time actually posting. I live out in the middle of no where so finding gluten free food is hard to find when dining out.

This was my second time at LongHorn Steakhouse, and my second time that Longhorn as failed to realize the severity of the allergy. Tonight, was one of those nights that no matter how much a persist and annoy the waitress, it didn't really sink in.

I asked for a gluten free menu, and I did turn to the waitress and tell her that I had a gluten allergy, and I I could not have wheat, including bread, croutons, and ect. I ordered a ceasar salad, ensuring that I reminded the waitress, no croutons, seperate bowl tossing, and that I have indeed, an allergy.

When the salad came, I was at first hesitant, and I did take a good look at what I could make out, moving the lettuce as much as I could making sure, but I did not look at the bottom, not until I was halfway done my salad. UGH!

I told the waitress and showed her, I'm sure my worried expression must have given a clue that I understood the long night I'm in for! Did she get the manager? no. Did she ask if I needed medical assistance? no. Did she even comp my meal (really not expected but the gesture...). No, she smiles at me and asked me if I wanted some water... water? Does water work for a peanut allergy? Or maybe it works for the lactose intolerant? I'm sorry, I really don't mean to come off... upset but I'm upset. My soon to be mother in law found the manager, and spoke to him. He was nice, and did comp my meal. However...

I will not go to LongHon Steakhouse ever again, and I'm hoping this post finds others before they make a mistake and pay the price I am.

Ads by Google:

I think you should email the corporate office. Tell them which one you went to, the date and time. Then what happened. This is a company with a corporate go policy and they might want to know.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• My DH was diagnosed with celiac disease several months ago and I was just getting a handle on baking again, turning out gluten free quick breads, muffins, biscuits, breads and cakes like a champ when.....more allergies. Now we are gluten free, dairy free, egg free.....and rice free. Yikes. I've converted to almond and coconut milk, that was a breeze. Vegan egg substitute just made its way into the house for baking and I have high hopes, though I haven't used it yet.  I need a gluten free flour blend that doesn't contain rice flour. On hand I have oat, coconut, sorghum, fufu and amaranth flours, potato starch, corn starch, and xanthan gum. I need a mix that will use what I have on hand, and that will work for quick breads like banana and pumpkin bread.  Anyone have a recipe that has worked for them in the past?
    • Thankyou so much that's really helpful I did wonder about dairy as I seem to bloat a little after a coffee with milk
    • Love your attitude - it will really help you going forward (I was you three years ago...) Don't be surprised as time goes on if you have a lull in your fortitude.  Every once in a while I see (or smell!) a food I really miss, or have an accidental glutening that sets me back, or someone that doesn't understand my issues and thinks I'm a faddist.  I've learned to let myself have a sulk and a pity party and then move on.   Good luck!
    • Hi Natalie, That sounds like how it often goes after beginning the gluten-free diet.  We'd like to think that it would be steady progress in the up direction but it seems like our healing goes back and forth a little.  The immune system reaction takes a while to settle down, weeks to months.  So it is hard for the gut to heal while that reaction is going on. It's helpful to eat simple foods at first and avoid dairy.  Processed foods including baked goods are best left on the shelf.  Try to eat whole foods only including meats, vegetables and nuts.  Carbs and sugar are not helpful. Things should get better after a month or two if your diet is clean of gluten and diary.  Then you can try adding things back in slowly one item a week. Peppermint tea can help with bloating.  Probiotics may help too. Welcome to the forum!
    • like I said I am new and just learning ...   Is Mirlax gluten free
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    trecio