28 replies to this topic

#16 dawn w

dawn w

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

I was reading your post and I'm really glad of it iv been told IV got mental health problems.witch I never believed I had .and only had signs when I had sickness with Loose stools .then last year gp told me im a celiac. Thay are still treating me for mental health.dose any body think the mental health now or can they be wrong.they are great but I need to know.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

I was reading your post and I'm really glad of it iv been told IV got mental health problems.witch I never believed I had .and only had signs when I had sickness with Loose stools .then last year gp told me im a celiac. Thay are still treating me for mental health.dose any body think the mental health now or can they be wrong.they are great but I need to know.

Hi Dawn,

The thread on short temper might be interesting to you.  You can do a search on gluten ataxia and find information about how gluten can affect the brain.  Also there is the theory that gluten can interact like opium with some brain recepters.  And pshizophrenia seems to be related in some people also.  So, gluten seems to be able to affect people's brains in multiple ways.  Malabsorption of nutrients critical to brain function is another possible problem.  The nice things is, there is a chance of relief from symptoms by switching to and following the gluten-free diet.  Nueral symptoms may take longer to clear up than gut symptoms though.  Nerves are slow to grow and heal.  It's important with the nueral symptoms to stay 100% gluten-free if possible.

Some possible ways gluten can affect the brain, in no particular order:

- Neural damage due to malabsorption of nutrients.

- Gluten ataxia, antibody damage to Purkinje cells in the brain.

- Interacting with opiate recepters in the brain.

Short temper thread
http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 Analog6

Analog6

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm not surprised to read this.  Have a look at this link, it is very interesting.

#19 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

I'm not surprised to read this.  Have a look at this link, it is very interesting.

Thanks for the link Analog.  That's good she finally got help.  Too bad it took so long for someone to try gluten-free on her though.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#20 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

I havent been back to this forum since my last posted "experiment" i was going to, but never made it.

But Im going to do it again, i have to, im out of options.

Ill try to throw in some updates over the months.

Im going "grass-family"-free. The sugar plant comes from the same taxinomical family as grains, so im avoiding that whole family.

Its dumb, i dont need to eat grasses/grains, so why hurt myself.

All i remember is i was on ZERO medications. Life wasnt "easy", but I got through some hurdles.. then when I decided to give up 2 months later because i was sick of restricting my diet, well,
Anyways..

I used to be a raw foodist once. Its very amazing the power of foods.

The great thing is we can exert some control, simply by avoiding certain foods.

#21 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

Thanks GGinDC for your help.

And analog that has been my true experience.

I think for me, not eating grains stops the mind from racing, and i achieve an inner calm that feels zen-like. I remember thinking that to myself.

I think it could be more related to what that lady eats, which is ketogenic. It calms the mind way down.

For me i exercise a lot so i need some carbs.

I think schizophrenia is an overactive mental state surrounded by constant stimulation all around you and you basically just go crazy.

Personally, i feel sane if im in a quiet forest.

This diet calms my mind down so i achieve a "focus" at all times.

#22 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Actually yeah i may just try to do more of a ketogenic primal-like diet.

#23 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

Nm tried deleting my post. Im not sure im going to be able to eat this way, and i wasnt always schizo eating grains, so i dont know whats up. :/

#24 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

I tried posting that i am in fact doing this way of eating again. Just not going to be a nazi about it thats all. Like if im going to eat a slice of pizza, just have it etc then go back to grain free for awhile.

#25 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

Hi CG,

You can cheat on your diet if you want.  It is only hurting you.  Many people do that of course, cheat on their diets.  The immune process isn't going  to stop and start on a dime though.  It starts quickly and tapers off very slowly.  So the affect of cheating once may be a few months or more of increased sensitivity to gluten.  If a few months of affects are not a problem, I can see where it might not seem important if you cheat once in a awhile..  Many of us have gastro symptoms or other symptoms that are very unpleasant though.  And that makes cheating less attractive.  Besides that, some people have no symptoms from gluten at all (silent celiac).  For those people they can't even tell for sure when they are damaging their bodies.  So judging how much damage is being done to our bodies by our symptoms we get is kind of useless.

It is safer not to cheat, and that is really the only way to know if you will get better over a period of time.

#26 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:29 PM

I understand GFinDC,

But i think there are so many open questions.

Like, why did grains eliminate my problems (not eating them).

Why did I sometimes feel crazy even from eating too many carbs.

So, what im trying to say, is maybe im not celiac, maybe its some sort of other issue.

There are just so many theories out there. Like what if a gut imbalance causes this or that. And maybe not eating grains (if u cant fully digest them), your gut bacteria come back to normal.

I have no idea, but i think personally i can cheat, but my last grain free 2 month stretch i never cheated.

Thanks

#27 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

I understand GFinDC,

But i think there are so many open questions.

Like, why did grains eliminate my problems (not eating them).

Why did I sometimes feel crazy even from eating too many carbs.

So, what im trying to say, is maybe im not celiac, maybe its some sort of other issue.

There are just so many theories out there. Like what if a gut imbalance causes this or that. And maybe not eating grains (if u cant fully digest them), your gut bacteria come back to normal.

I have no idea, but i think personally i can cheat, but my last grain free 2 month stretch i never cheated.

Thanks

I think you have answered your own question.  While removing grains you feel better.  Up to you.  Life is so much better when your body is functioning properly.

I do not recall if you were ever tested for Celiac Disease -- to me -- it does not matter.  You have found you are healthier without grains which likely means you should remove all gluten.  

Again, up to you.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#28 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

CanineGluten, thanks for making me smile. Your posts are quite entertaining, especially the one that has you not eating any grains but drinking a beer.

I can't imagine trying to eliminate all grains all at once. It doesn't surprise me at all that you keep going back to having them in your diet.

How about focusing on just gluten, which is highly likely to be causing problems for you, but keeping other grains like rice, which would be less suspect ... and would give you the carbs you need for energy?

So that means getting rid of anything made from wheat, barley and rye, and all of the hidden sources of gluten. Think you can get by on wine and tequila until you can track down a gluten-free beer?

And though it is tough at first, doing some more research into what to avoid  when it comes to hidden sources of gluten (such as malt) and ways to avoid contamination can make going gluten free a ton easier and less painful.

Best of luck to you. When you do get things sorted out, Netflix would be a great way to catch up on all of those movies you've missed.

#29 CanineGluten

CanineGluten

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Im now simply removing gluten. Still eating rice.

But doing this 2-3 days and already noticing 100%
improvement.

Medication cant always help so if this is the root
Cause then hallelula.

Just weird how gluten took so long to manifest into
auditory hallucinations. Hate saying that! But
Its crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: