This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Intolerance?

KikiB

KikiB Explorer

If you have a soy intolerance, are the symptoms the same as being glutoned? I suspect I now have a problem with soy, but I'm not sure since this is all so new to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Soy can cause different symptoms in each person. Yours can be completely different from mine.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

If you have a soy intolerance, are the symptoms the same as being glutoned? I suspect I now have a problem with soy, but I'm not sure since this is all so new to me.

Soy causes extreme nausea in me. Your reaction could be different.

My best advise is to keep a food log and mark down any symptoms you may get. Many food reactions are delayed and having a written record helps put the puzzle together. One thing I would add..about 90% of the soy in the US has been genetically modified..around 85% of corn has too. They can cause bad reactions in our guts. I won't knowingly eat any GMO foods any more. Pay attention to your reactions to those especially.

KikiB Explorer

Thanks! It makes me nauseated, too, and makes my head foggy. I am keeping a food journal.

Good advice about GMO. I didn't realize soy was a part of that. It's so frustrating that California just voted down labeling GMO foods. Also, I was shopping for flours yesterday and it seemed that most of them contained soy lechtin. Ugh.

Soy causes extreme nausea in me. Your reaction could be different.

My best advise is to keep a food log and mark down any symptoms you may get. Many food reactions are delayed and having a written record helps put the puzzle together. One thing I would add..about 90% of the soy in the US has been genetically modified..around 85% of corn has too. They can cause bad reactions in our guts. I won't knowingly eat any GMO foods any more. Pay attention to your reactions to those especially.

cahill Collaborator

Soy is EVIL ! :ph34r:

Most vegetable oil ( in the US) is soy oil. Due to a legal loophole it does NOT have to have an allergy warning on the label.

KikiB Explorer

Vegetable oil can contain soy and not include it on the label?

Most vegetable oil ( in the US) is soy oil. Due to a legal loophole it does NOT have to have an allergy warning on the label.

cahill Collaborator

Vegetable oil can contain soy and not include it on the label?

yes. If your bottle of vegetable oil just says vegetable oil as the ingredients , chances are it is almost all soy oil .

,, the reasoning was something like ,, the soy oil is so processed that it is no longer considered an allergen so there for no longer need an allergen label, quite the legal loophole <_<

things like tuna ,candy, lip balm,shampoo, vitamins and much much more can contain soy . I had a harder time eliminating soy out of my diet then I did gluten .

as I said ................ Soy is evil, pure evil :ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KikiB Explorer

I discovered it was in tuna after tuna started making me sick and I was trying to figure out why. Before that I never knew there was soy in tuna.

yes. If your bottle of vegetable oil just says vegetable oil as the ingredients , chances are it is almost all soy oil .

,, the reasoning was something like ,, the soy oil is so processed that it is no longer considered an allergen so there for no longer need an allergen label, quite the legal loophole <_<

things like tuna ,candy, lip balm,shampoo, vitamins and much much more can contain soy . I had a harder time elimating soy out of my diet then I did gluten .

as I said ................ Soy is evil, pure evil :ph34r:

Lady Eowyn Apprentice

Soy is similar reaction to gluten and as above makes me super nauseated.

Can't believe it - I can't eat canned tuna either - makes me really sick.

This all came on about 3 - 4 months gluten free and I have wondered if it is one of the reasons I can't eat gluten free processed food (health bars, choc, etc) they all contain soy. In the past (pre gluten-free - I think it was soy that gave me sore breasts).

It is my belief that soy is really bad for humans - get rid of it !! (Why is it in everything anyway :angry: ).

GFinDC Veteran

This all came on about 3 - 4 months gluten free and I have wondered if it is one of the reasons I can't eat gluten free processed food (health bars, choc, etc) they all contain soy. In the past (pre gluten-free - I think it was soy that gave me sore breasts).

It is my belief that soy is really bad for humans - get rid of it !! (Why is it in everything anyway :angry: ).

There are soy-free tuna cans available. I don't remember the brand names but there are some. It was some kind of heath or organic brand of tuna that I saw. If you read the ingredients on most tuna it is packed in a broth that includes soy.

KikiB Explorer

There are soy-free tuna cans available. I don't remember the brand names but there are some. It was some kind of heath or organic brand of tuna that I saw. If you read the ingredients on most tuna it is packed in a broth that includes soy.

Starkist gold cans do not have soy. It's just tuna and water.

I'm really caught off guard by the soy intolerance, which happened, as far as I can tell, the same time as I developed either Celiac or gluten intolerance.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I'm really caught off guard by the soy intolerance, which happened, as far as I can tell, the same time as I developed either Celiac or gluten intolerance.

Soy is evil and really hard to avoid. I knew I'd get sick after eating out sometimes before my DX but never knew it was probably from the soy oil they use so much of.

The theory that there's no soy protein in the oil so shouldn't bother anyone is nonsense! It's hard to get multivitamins that are completly soy free too. The vitamin E or D they use is from cholecalciferol..usually derived from soy.

GFinDC Veteran

Thank Kiki, I looked at a CVS store today but all they had was Bumblebee and some off brand. The Bumblebee brand has soy in it.

KikiB Explorer

Thank Kiki, I looked at a CVS store today but all they had was Bumblebee and some off brand. The Bumblebee brand has soy in it.

KikiB Explorer

Soy is evil and really hard to avoid. I knew I'd get sick after eating out sometimes before my DX but never knew it was probably from the soy oil they use so much of.

The theory that there's no soy protein in the oil so shouldn't bother anyone is nonsense! It's hard to get multivitamins that are completly soy free too. The vitamin E or D they use is from cholecalciferol..usually derived from soy.

KikiB Explorer

AnnJay Apprentice

My reaction to soy is severe stomach pain, nausea, and maybe D. It's been awhile. At first I wondered if it was a gluten reaction but it wasn't as bad and didn't last as long.

As for foods, well, now that I'm avoiding gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and nightshades, I am spending a LOT of time in the kitchen. EVERYTHING has to start as live food and is cooked fresh. I am eating more nuts, more eggs, more meats and way more vegetables than I did before. I am cooking a lot now and freezing some so that I can have meals during busy holiday times.

KikiB Explorer

My reaction to soy is severe stomach pain, nausea, and maybe D. It's been awhile. At first I wondered if it was a gluten reaction but it wasn't as bad and didn't last as long.

As for foods, well, now that I'm avoiding gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and nightshades, I am spending a LOT of time in the kitchen. EVERYTHING has to start as live food and is cooked fresh. I am eating more nuts, more eggs, more meats and way more vegetables than I did before. I am cooking a lot now and freezing some so that I can have meals during busy holiday times.

Do you have a problem with soy lechtin as well?

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Soy is a real bugger.

I get lightheaded and nauseous, and the symptoms usually hit me quite shortly after eating, unlike gluten that takes a while to kick in. I can probably handle small amounts of soy lecthin if I take a digestive enzyme with it, but i've been doing my best to avoid it completely. I miss tofu thought. My bf is vegetarian, so finding/making things both of us can eat with good protein content is tricky.

even if you can eat soy, thought, GMO anything is nasty and should be avoided at all costs, so probably shouldn't be eating it too often.

Tuna is something else I only eat a few times a year because of the mercury content and the over-fishing problem. I NEVER get it in a can, so don't know about this soy broth thing. I'd say don't bother with canned tuna anymore (or switch to salmon).

As for substitutes, there's a good soy-sauce alternative made from coconut sap. It's expensive and tricky to find, but definitely nice.

And this "vegetable" oil = soy would definitely explain some issues I have with certain things that don't list soy as an ingredient. grrrr...

Make sure to check any cosmetics and such you're already using. I had a lip gloss i've been using for months that I finally looked and realised it has soy oil... oh. into the garbage it went.

It's a ton of work to cut out soy, and will probably involve more cooking from scratch, but if it makes you feel better, it's worth it.

Happy Healing

Peg

KikiB Explorer

Soy is a real bugger.

I get lightheaded and nauseous, and the symptoms usually hit me quite shortly after eating, unlike gluten that takes a while to kick in. I can probably handle small amounts of soy lecthin if I take a digestive enzyme with it, but i've been doing my best to avoid it completely. I miss tofu thought. My bf is vegetarian, so finding/making things both of us can eat with good protein content is tricky.

even if you can eat soy, thought, GMO anything is nasty and should be avoided at all costs, so probably shouldn't be eating it too often.

Tuna is something else I only eat a few times a year because of the mercury content and the over-fishing problem. I NEVER get it in a can, so don't know about this soy broth thing. I'd say don't bother with canned tuna anymore (or switch to salmon).

As for substitutes, there's a good soy-sauce alternative made from coconut sap. It's expensive and tricky to find, but definitely nice.

And this "vegetable" oil = soy would definitely explain some issues I have with certain things that don't list soy as an ingredient. grrrr...

Make sure to check any cosmetics and such you're already using. I had a lip gloss i've been using for months that I finally looked and realised it has soy oil... oh. into the garbage it went.

It's a ton of work to cut out soy, and will probably involve more cooking from scratch, but if it makes you feel better, it's worth it.

Happy Healing

Peg

Thanks, Peg! I never would have thought to check my lip gloss for soy! Ugh.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I usually feel about the same as being glutened, just with no brain fog/headache. I'm amazed at what does have soy in it, it's everywhere!

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Thanks, Peg! I never would have thought to check my lip gloss for soy! Ugh.

This is how I figured out my soy problem! I didn't use a certain lip balm for two days and felt so much better!

KikiB Explorer

I usually feel about the same as being glutened, just with no brain fog/headache. I'm amazed at what does have soy in it, it's everywhere!

Thanks for letting me know. It's interesting to me to know how it affects others.

ncdave Apprentice

BumbleBee canned tuna labled very low sodium, solid white albacore is safe. It"s the one in the gold can, it"s even corn free!

GFinDC Veteran

Good to

BumbleBee canned tuna labled very low sodium, solid white albacore is safe. It"s the one in the gold can, it"s even corn free!

Good to know, thanks Dave!

Being a cheapskate, I generally go for the canned mackeral myself. But once in a while I try some tuna. I just have to fight the cat off to eat it tho. :)

Archived