43 replies to this topic

#16 KikiB

KikiB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Soy is similar reaction to gluten and as above makes me super nauseated.
Can't believe it - I can't eat canned tuna either - makes me really sick.
This all came on about 3 - 4 months gluten free and I have wondered if it is one of the reasons I can't eat gluten free processed food (health bars, choc, etc) they all contain soy. In the past (pre gluten-free - I think it was soy that gave me sore breasts).

It is my belief that soy is really bad for humans - get rid of it !! (Why is it in everything anyway :angry: ).

Thanks for letting me know you react to soy similar to gluten. That made it hard for me to figure out what was going on.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 AnnJay

AnnJay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

My reaction to soy is severe stomach pain, nausea, and maybe D. It's been awhile. At first I wondered if it was a gluten reaction but it wasn't as bad and didn't last as long.

As for foods, well, now that I'm avoiding gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and nightshades, I am spending a LOT of time in the kitchen. EVERYTHING has to start as live food and is cooked fresh. I am eating more nuts, more eggs, more meats and way more vegetables than I did before. I am cooking a lot now and freezing some so that I can have meals during busy holiday times.

#18 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

My reaction to soy is severe stomach pain, nausea, and maybe D. It's been awhile. At first I wondered if it was a gluten reaction but it wasn't as bad and didn't last as long.

As for foods, well, now that I'm avoiding gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and nightshades, I am spending a LOT of time in the kitchen. EVERYTHING has to start as live food and is cooked fresh. I am eating more nuts, more eggs, more meats and way more vegetables than I did before. I am cooking a lot now and freezing some so that I can have meals during busy holiday times.

Do you have a problem with soy lechtin as well?

#19 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Soy is a real bugger.
I get lightheaded and nauseous, and the symptoms usually hit me quite shortly after eating, unlike gluten that takes a while to kick in. I can probably handle small amounts of soy lecthin if I take a digestive enzyme with it, but i've been doing my best to avoid it completely. I miss tofu thought. My bf is vegetarian, so finding/making things both of us can eat with good protein content is tricky.

even if you can eat soy, thought, GMO anything is nasty and should be avoided at all costs, so probably shouldn't be eating it too often.
Tuna is something else I only eat a few times a year because of the mercury content and the over-fishing problem. I NEVER get it in a can, so don't know about this soy broth thing. I'd say don't bother with canned tuna anymore (or switch to salmon).

As for substitutes, there's a good soy-sauce alternative made from coconut sap. It's expensive and tricky to find, but definitely nice.

And this "vegetable" oil = soy would definitely explain some issues I have with certain things that don't list soy as an ingredient. grrrr...

Make sure to check any cosmetics and such you're already using. I had a lip gloss i've been using for months that I finally looked and realised it has soy oil... oh. into the garbage it went.

It's a ton of work to cut out soy, and will probably involve more cooking from scratch, but if it makes you feel better, it's worth it.

Happy Healing
Peg

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#20 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Soy is a real bugger.
I get lightheaded and nauseous, and the symptoms usually hit me quite shortly after eating, unlike gluten that takes a while to kick in. I can probably handle small amounts of soy lecthin if I take a digestive enzyme with it, but i've been doing my best to avoid it completely. I miss tofu thought. My bf is vegetarian, so finding/making things both of us can eat with good protein content is tricky.

even if you can eat soy, thought, GMO anything is nasty and should be avoided at all costs, so probably shouldn't be eating it too often.
Tuna is something else I only eat a few times a year because of the mercury content and the over-fishing problem. I NEVER get it in a can, so don't know about this soy broth thing. I'd say don't bother with canned tuna anymore (or switch to salmon).

As for substitutes, there's a good soy-sauce alternative made from coconut sap. It's expensive and tricky to find, but definitely nice.

And this "vegetable" oil = soy would definitely explain some issues I have with certain things that don't list soy as an ingredient. grrrr...

Make sure to check any cosmetics and such you're already using. I had a lip gloss i've been using for months that I finally looked and realised it has soy oil... oh. into the garbage it went.

It's a ton of work to cut out soy, and will probably involve more cooking from scratch, but if it makes you feel better, it's worth it.

Happy Healing
Peg

Thanks, Peg! I never would have thought to check my lip gloss for soy! Ugh.

#21 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I usually feel about the same as being glutened, just with no brain fog/headache. I'm amazed at what does have soy in it, it's everywhere!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#22 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks, Peg! I never would have thought to check my lip gloss for soy! Ugh.

This is how I figured out my soy problem! I didn't use a certain lip balm for two days and felt so much better!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#23 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I usually feel about the same as being glutened, just with no brain fog/headache. I'm amazed at what does have soy in it, it's everywhere!

Thanks for letting me know. It's interesting to me to know how it affects others.

#24 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

There are soy-free tuna cans available. I don't remember the brand names but there are some. It was some kind of heath or organic brand of tuna that I saw. If you read the ingredients on most tuna it is packed in a broth that includes soy.

BumbleBee canned tuna labled very low sodium, solid white albacore is safe. It"s the one in the gold can, it"s even corn free!
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

#25 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Good to

BumbleBee canned tuna labled very low sodium, solid white albacore is safe. It"s the one in the gold can, it"s even corn free!

Good to know, thanks Dave!

Being a cheapskate, I generally go for the canned mackeral myself. But once in a while I try some tuna. I just have to fight the cat off to eat it tho. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#26 KikiB

KikiB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Good to

Good to know, thanks Dave!

Being a cheapskate, I generally go for the canned mackeral myself. But once in a while I try some tuna. I just have to fight the cat off to eat it tho. :)

LOL! Starkist gold can is soy free. Costco Kirkland tuna is soy free and cheaper.

I had no idea I was eating so many things with soy in them. It's shocking to me.

#27 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Yep, they put soy, dairy, and gluten in a whole lot of processed foods. It is very common to find one of those 3 or all of them in processed food-like products. Along of course with food preservatives, (anti-bacterials) food colorings, emulsifiers, stabilizers, fillers, and spitballs. Ok, kidding on the last one. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#28 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Well, thanks to this thread and after feeling pretty darn lousy following my tofu dinner the other night, I've decided to try a week soy-free. Since my gut reactions are immediate and quite, um, obvious, I figure I should know right away if that is an issue. I have lactose intolerance and have tested corn, eggs and grains in general but never thought about soy being a problem.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#29 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Has anyone with soy intolerance experienced heart palpitations, and mood changes? I have been off soy for about three months, and after eating some chocolates my students gave me, thinking that a bit of soy lechitin would be a problem, I had racing heartbeat, tremors, and a kind of panic attack (my mother, who was talking to me, said that I sounded and seemed on drugs), followed by the onset of a headache that lasted for about half a day. I tried the experiment again a couple of times, with a smaller quantity, and the same happened heart palpitations, tremors, confusion, and then severe headache and sluggishness. But I never think of tachycardia as a symptom of intolerance, or am I wrong?
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#30 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I get severe mood changes with all legumes - peanuts are the worst as far as anger, anxiety, sadness. Peas and beans are like sleeping pills and soy is major abdominal bloating along with melancholy.

Haven't noted tachycardia per se, put I do know that certain foods do cause palpitations and anxiety.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: