This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Intolerance After Illness?

april-s

april-s Newbie

Hi! I am new here and was hoping to share my story.

About a year ago I have a short, 24-hour type illness: severe stomach cramping, vomitting, diarrhea. It went away pretty quickly, but after that I began to have problems that have persisted up until today.

- about 4 incidents (over the course of the past year) of similar, but not nearly as severe, stomach cramps that were immediately relieved with a bowel movement (was woken up in the middle of the night by this)

- these incidents were usually followed by constipation for a few days

- rosacea on my cheeks that has become quite a self-conscious problem!

- what I think is some sort of minor sinus problem (I can feel a little fluid in my ears, can't sleep on my back because I won't be able to breath)

- depression and anxiety. I've always had issues, but these have gotten quite worse over the last year, especially the anxiety

- lately I've had a lot of gas and bloating, tummy rumbling, chest pains (probably gas related)

I will probably go to the doctor soon, but about a week ago I started eliminating gluten and noticed I have more energy, a drastic reduction in gas/tummy rumblings, and I have had no new 'eruptions' on my face (and I'm pretty sure it is clearing up!!!).

But today I ate some vegan chocolate cake and I started feeling 'funny'. I felt a little dizzy, short of breath, then my eyes started itching, I had a sneezing fit, I felt super tired, and had some chest pains. Could this be a reaction to the wheat flour in the cake?! Or I am just inducing these problems because I 'think' I have a gluten intolerance?! Also, what are the chances that the illness I had triggered all of these problems (and that they are related)?!

Any help/advice/experience would be greatly appreciated :-) As I said, I will be going to the doctor's soon, but I thought I would try here first so I could talk to people who have maybe gone through something similar!

Thanks,

April

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Well, keep this in mind, if you want an "official" dx then you'll have to be on it for quite some time.

At any rate, mine got really bad after a bad case of the flu followed by (a week later no less) allergic reaction to an antibiotic. So it can happen.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

For many, Celiac Disease is triggered by some sort of stress on the body. It can be an illness, an emotional event, or even a pregnancy. I had ZERO symptoms before the birth of my second child. 5 years later, HE was diagnosed with celiac disease. I tested positive as well. All my symptoms went away when I started the diet.

Try to get tested BEFORE you try the diet. The first test is a blood screen. Once you start the diet, all the tests will be negative.

If you don't need an "official" diagnosis then go ahead and try the diet. Give it time - don't give up after a week. Try it for 3 months and see if you feel better.

Cara

april-s Newbie

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I am definitely going to stick with it. I've been keeping a food journal and notes about how I feel. I will also take pictures of my skin to document any difference.

All the best,

April

Archived