9 replies to this topic

#1 brattnie07

brattnie07

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

I have been dealing with stomach pains for years. I had my gallbladder out in 2007 and it didn't help so I figured I would just deal with the pain. I finally got tired of it and saw a gastroenterologist a few weeks ago and had a scope done last Wednesday. I got the call yesterday (Friday) that my biopsy came back positive for Celiac. I am unable to see my doctor until January 25th and I just want answers now. I don't know what I am looking for or what exactly I can and can't eat. I know I am unable to eat gluten but what contains gluten?? I am a young adult and am extremely lost on where to go. Is there a website or a book that I can look at or buy? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hello, and welcome.

There are a couple of places I would recommend you start: First, Dr. Peter Green's book - Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. Secondly, the Newbie 101 thread here on this forum.

After reading these you will probably have lots of related questions, so come back here and ask them :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

I am hoping you get well. Meal by meal figure it out.'

Here's some flowers ***

Diana

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Congratulations on finally finding out what is wrong! You're going to start feeling better, and I'm so happy for you!!! Just remember--natural, whole foods don't contain gluten. If you're ever feeling lost about what to eat, grab some fruit, a vegetable, a diary product (except some yogurts), nuts, or meats, and you'll be safe. At first, you'll want to buy substitutes for all of your "usual" food, but it's usually best to eat whole, natural foods for a while to let your body heal. Also, sometimes the gums or grains in the gluten-free substitutes can cause stomach upsets--and you don't need that!

Good luck with the diet--and welcome to the Forum!

#5 brattnie07

brattnie07

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Hello, and welcome.

There are a couple of places I would recommend you start: First, Dr. Peter Green's book - Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. Secondly, the Newbie 101 thread here on this forum.

After reading these you will probably have lots of related questions, so come back here and ask them :)

The Newbie 101 thread definitely helped! It also made me realize how many things contain gluten, I didn't realize there were so many! I'll have to look into finding the book since I live in a small town and know that I'll have to order it online. Thanks for the help!

#6 brattnie07

brattnie07

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Congratulations on finally finding out what is wrong! You're going to start feeling better, and I'm so happy for you!!! Just remember--natural, whole foods don't contain gluten. If you're ever feeling lost about what to eat, grab some fruit, a vegetable, a diary product (except some yogurts), nuts, or meats, and you'll be safe. At first, you'll want to buy substitutes for all of your "usual" food, but it's usually best to eat whole, natural foods for a while to let your body heal. Also, sometimes the gums or grains in the gluten-free substitutes can cause stomach upsets--and you don't need that!

Good luck with the diet--and welcome to the Forum!

Thank you! I didn't realize how many things contain gluten! Honestly before I got my results I was thinking this whole gluten free thing wouldn't be too difficult. However after I got the actual diagnosis I realize that this is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought. I love baking and hope to go to Culinary school and open my own bakery one day but that seems like it is going to be complicated now. /:
Once again thank you for your help!

#7 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Complicated? Only in the beginning! Gluten-free bakeries are extremely popular these days--you could end up with a very successful enterprise!

#8 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I know how overwhelming the gluten free diet can be in the beginning. All of us here had a beginning. I have been gluten free for almost six years, and I promise, it gets much easier.

All I want to do right now is encourage you because I remember the frustration and, yes, fright, that I would never be able to enjoy food, eat with my friends, cook for family... and a host of other things.

You are in the right place at Celiac.com. These people helped me soooo much. Ask away. Someone here will be able to answer you. One word of caution... look at the dates on the threads. Some are years old and totally out of date.

Use common sense. Read all labels. Eat a lot of fresh foods (they taste better, anyway). Rye and barley are not such a problem as they are very limited in their uses. Wheat, however, turns up in the darndest places. Stay vigilant. You have friends here who will cyberly (new word) hold your hand all the way.

#9 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Complicated? Only in the beginning! Gluten-free bakeries are extremely popular these days--you could end up with a very successful enterprise!

Yes, please!!! :) :)

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Stick with whole foods, not only are they cheaper, but they are better for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: