Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Babies With Celiac, What Did You First Notice?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi guys,

I'm Celiac and wondered what symptoms did you first notice with your Celiac child or baby? I want to keep an eye out for my grandson. Thanks everyone!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

My grandson was 18 months when I was finally diagnosed. They had already removed several foods thinking an intolerance was causing severe loose stools and frequently sore tummy from birth.

When I was diagnosed, his Mom removed gluten - within days he had his first solid movement and his stomach aches disappeared within a few weeks. Thankfully, young children heal very quickly.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Generally, besides stomach upsets and diarrhea/constipation, symptoms can include irritability, blanking out (staring into space), anxiety, clinginess, aggressive behavior, and moodiness/crankiness. This is what is taught at celiac conferences, and my nephew had ALL of these symptoms from a very early age. Also, look for toeing in of his feet once he starts walking--this can be an indication of Vitamin D deficiency.

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

OMGoodness...the connections to celiac are continually amazing. I believe I was undiagnosed my entire life for many reasons...but I had never heard the pigeon-toed symptom -- I had to wear corrective shoes for at least eight years because my toes turned in -- boy were they ugly!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 ParentingWithPurpose

ParentingWithPurpose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hello,

My daughter was 3.5 years when I got the confirmed diagnosis.The symptoms that led to me asking for the testing were as previously mentioned,
irritability, moodiness, clinginess, inability to settle and very restless sleeper, dark bags under the eyes (some sort of defficiency?), and always suffering
from some sort of abdominal upset. At 2 years nearly every day without fail she would tell me"mummy,sore tummy" repeadetly. Then, she started getting
these intense muscle cramps in her legs- like little rocks in there! As well as severe joint pain in her hips, knees and ankles.

When I did my research and asked around I realized these could all be direct or indirect symptoms, as you're probably aware, of the flow-on effects on the body.

The joint pain and leg cramp thing is rarely listed as a common complaint- but her paternal aunt has it too- (the reason I was looking out for it like you) and she recollects getting horrible cramps around time of diagnosis too (which was 18 years for her).

Hope this helps :)

#6 Mary5757

Mary5757

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Generally, besides stomach upsets and diarrhea/constipation, symptoms can include irritability, blanking out (staring into space), anxiety, clinginess, aggressive behavior, and moodiness/crankiness. This is what is taught at celiac conferences, and my nephew had ALL of these symptoms from a very early age. Also, look for toeing in of his feet once he starts walking--this can be an indication of Vitamin D deficiency.

These are all the symptoms my daughter had! I didn't know about the walking, my daughter does that too. She was very constipated, we had to give her miralax and then she would have awful blowouts. I thought she might be autistic because of the behavior. I wonder about the vitamin d deficiency though...now I'm worried!

#7 my3monkees

my3monkees

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

My dd didn't get diagnosed until 11. But she had food issues from birth. I had to avoid all dairy while she nursed. She always had trouble with gas. We had to delay all food until 6 mo. because she just didn't handle it well. She had never had an antibiotic, but had yeast infections from just a few months of age. By age 3 had huge cavities in all her molars despite all our brushing. Stomach aches were a normal part of life. By age 10-11, she was the most miserable, cranky child. I thought my sweet little girl was gone. Turned out she was still hiding inside! At 15, she is a joy!

#8 mamaofaceliac

mamaofaceliac

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Vomiting, dark rings under the eyes, severly dissented stomach, refusal to eat even her "favorite" foods (pasta, pizza, bagels...), failure to thrive are all symptoms we saw intensify up until diagnosis.

#9 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thank you all so much!!!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: