17 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

(BTW, I'm hoping the mood swings are all celiac-related and will eventually go away). When I expressed my feelings to my husband in the car on the way home, he held my hand and said if it was for my health then he didn't care how much it cost. And of course I cried again with relief and gratitude. So glad I married a good guy.

This will take time but I'm tired of crying so much. :)

I have a one of those guys, too :wub:

Yeah, the moody stuff will level off in time. You are still taking all this in and processing it.

IMHO, do not try to buy too many gluten-free products. Take it easy on those.
You are doing what we all did...rushing to replace everything because of fear there will not be enough to eat or we will be deprived.

You said you had a healthy diet already and so, you would benefit from focusing on those same whole foods.Making baked goods from scratch--if you have the time--is better. We can control the ingredients and they taste better, too

As you settle in, you will start looking around at the site--in the cooking and baking sections--and on the internet and see your world is not narrowing....it's really quite wide open. There's a gluten-free alternative for mostly everything..

These are my fav sites:

http://punchfork.com/glutenfree
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
http://www.livingwithout.com/
http://www.julesglutenfree.com/
http://mygluten-free...nalise-roberts/
http://www.elanaspantry.com/

Hang in there. baby steps....if you were right in front of me, I'd give you a tissue, a hug and big glass of wine.
(if you indulge, that is)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Tears, frustration and paranoia are all part of the transition - I would question the sanity of anyone that has to learn the skill of removing all gluten from their world, re-learn the skills of grocery shopping, cooking and safely dining outside their own homes without being a stressed, frustrated and yes - a bit paranoid.

My first grocery missions took f o r e v e r - visiting several stores to find as many "gluten free" items as possible and necessitated bringing reading glasses along - never needed them before, but some labels are so teeny I was ready to throw the item at the shelves and stomp my feet in a monster of a temper tantrum I'm told I never even had as a child. Those missions were tough - I never caused harm, but more than a few tears were spilled -- soon enough the tears were gone and I was able to successfully navigate any grocery store once again.

It does get easier with time - the difficult learning curve passes relatively quickly out of necessity and before long you will find ways to replace your favorite recipes and your grocery bill will come back down as you purchase more whole foods and less processed foods.

Try to limit foods labeled "gluten free". These processed foods should be used as treats - not as primary diet during your early days. Meat, fish, veggies, fruit, rice, potatoes - dairy if you don't have an issue with it are the best bets to help you heal and reduce the grocery bill total. Udi's or Canyon Bakehouse bread along with gluten-free pastas are our families only regular "gluten free" purchases.

It does become second nature - but when those tears threaten to flow in the grocery aisles or you find some ingredient in your kitchen that you mistakenly thought gluten-free - please know that you have loads of company here. Finish the shopping mission, toss or clearly label the gluten and come here to vent a bit to us - we all have a time or two -- also helps to vent here as our family and friends generally try to help, but really can't understand the loss of eating without analyzing every morsel - especially in the early days.

Hang in there :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#18 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I just realized that for the first ten months or so, I too thought about it all the time. Not just at the grocery store or when I went to someone's house, but all the time.

Now, well I can't say I NEVER think about it, but HARDLY ever. I enjoy my food, and I enjoy time with my friends. I always bring my own food and no one has a problem with that. Celiac disease is in the headlines a lot lately so most people are aware that it exists. When I tell people I have it and need to bring my own food, they understand. And the ones who ask me if they can cook something for me, well, I tell them it's not that I don't trust them, but I explain a little about cross contamination and then tell them it's just be easier if I brought my own. Usually they are relieved because if they DID make me sick they'd feel terrible.

And I haven't cried at the grocery store in a long time - much to the relief of the employees there who have witnessed a few meltdowns. :lol: It really does get easier, it really does become second nature. And with the great support system you have, you will be writing the same type of messages we all just wrote, to the newbies who come here next year.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: