4 replies to this topic

#1 AmyVC

AmyVC

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I am newly diagnosed (1 month). I am iron deficient, as well as all the regular deficiencies Celiacs have. My dilemma is iron supplements cause constipation and that is what I am trying to get rid of. I just want to be "regular." My doctor advised me to wait to take iron until I am "regular" and take a multi vitamin, vitamin D, and Calcium. But I am worried about the iron. I am so tired and borderline anemic. I think iron would help, right? Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have that issue with iron pills, too. Didn't hurt me when I had diarrhea. as you heal, you will absorb the iron & B12 better. Make sure you take some sublingual ( put it under your tongue) B12. That helps your body use the iron you have. You might be able to just add iron rich foods to your diet. remember not to eat dairy with the iron food ( about 2 hours before and after eating the iron food).

Here's a list of iron rich foods

http://www.webmd.com...iron-rich-foods

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

If your physician is amenable, you can receive intravenous infusions to bring your iron/ferritin level up. This will help you feel better immediately, and once your gut heals, you should be able to absorb iron naturally. If not, you can receive the infusions on a regular basis. Some of us here on the Forum have done this. Your physician, however, may be unaware of this possibility (many are not), so you may need to educate him on its availability. If you have insurance, he can arrange for the infusion clinic at a local hospital to give you the iron infusions you need.

#4 AmyVC

AmyVC

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying to be patient with feeling better. It is taking longer than I hoped (it has been a month - but lots of stuff I read said you could feel better in just 2 days of eliminating gluten). I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

#5 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

In two days??! Wow, believe me, that would be extremely rare. It usually takes 6-24 months for most folks. My ability to absorb iron didn't return for four years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: