This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Grilled Fennel And Green Apple Soup

sora

sora Community Regular

I found this recipe in the newspaper. Have to try this.

GRILLED FENNEL AND GREEN APPLE SOUP

Ingredients:

• 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and quartered
  • 2 bulbs fennel, cut into thirds
  • 2 shallots, halved
  • 3 Tbsp. (45ml) olive oil
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) cider vinegar
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups (1L0 vegetable or chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Fire up your charcoal or preheat your gas grill. You need a medium-high grilling temp of around 350F (180C). Prep grill for cooking over direct heat.

Toss apples, fennel and shallots with oil in a large bowl until evenly coated. Grill apples, fennel and shallots over direct heat until lightly charred. Remove from grill. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then chop coarsely. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan set over medium heat on grill, or side burner. Add apples, fennel and shallots. Cook, stirring often, until tender. Add cider vinegar and garlic. Simmer until slightly reduced. Add stock and white wine, then simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are very soft. Let cool slightly. Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour through a fine mesh strainer, discarding any solids. Reheat and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 8 servings.

TIP: For a simple garnish, drizzle soup with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. If soup seems too thin, whisk a splash of 35% whipping cream and an egg yolk into warm soup. Do not allow soup to boil during reheating because it will cause egg to curdle.

- From Robert "Rainford's Born To Grill"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I make something similar. There is no reason why this recipe would not work - the ingredients play well together! :lol: And the ratios are right, too. Let us know how you like it.

sora Community Regular

I make something similar. There is no reason why this recipe would not work - the ingredients play well together! :lol: And the ratios are right, too. Let us know how you like it.

I will. I think I'll try it on the weekend.

Glad to have you back!

love2travel Mentor

I will. I think I'll try it on the weekend.

Glad to have you back!

Thanks, Sora! You're sweet. :)

Don't forget to post back when you try it. I'm always keen to hear about those who try fresh fennel (which I love).

• 2 weeks later...
sora Community Regular

I made this soup today. It was delicious.

I used my grill pan on the stove rather than fire up the charcoal. It's minus 16 C here today. Brrrr.

For my taste I would cut the vinegar by at least half. The other person who ate some said to cut it a bit.

All the flavors are very distinctive and it would make a great starter soup.

mushroom Proficient

I finally found and bought some fennel yesterday to make this. Thanks for the tip about the vinegar - I will go slow with it.

sora Community Regular

I finally found and bought some fennel yesterday to make this. Thanks for the tip about the vinegar - I will go slow with it.

Let me know how you like it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived