#1 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi everyone!

I am new here! Have been reading a lot of posts and this forum has been super helpful!

Have had stomach issues for a very long time. This year some symptoms are more prominent ("fluffy stools", abdominal pain) Finally went to the GI who suggested based on my symptoms that I could have an ulcer, H pylori or Celiac Disease. He asked about my kids and if they had allergies... my oldest had very bad allergies and we had to use a nebulizer for him to stop coughing. He outgrew it. My youngest has eczema on his shins and elbows. He said he really thought this was gluten related and if I tested positive I should have my kids tested as well. He gave me Prilosec to take for 2 weeks.

He ordered the full Celiac Panel Blood Test, tested for H Pylori and some other things.
Just got a call from the nurse and said everything was normal, no signs of Celiac. H Pylori negative. I did have enlarged red blood cells (MCV) and now have to get my B-12 and folate checked. I am a vegan so it makes sense I could have a B-12 deficiency.

My question, what about my stomach? Why does it still hurt and why do I have the "fluffy" stools? Even with a B-12 deficiency these symptoms don't make much sense!

Anyone else have gone through this? Thank you so much in advance!!!!

:unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hi, and welcome.

Just because you are not celiac, does not mean that you are able to tolerate gluten. And there can be false negatives on the blood test. If your B-12 and folate are low, indicating malabsorption (have him check your Vitamin D too) do you think you could talk him into doing a biopsy? Also, what celiac tests were run and what were the results and ranges??

I was personally never tested at all, but had high MCV and low B12, folate and D. Supplementing these and going off gluten (and several other things) made a lot of difference to me.

Even if you have a biopsy that comes up negative, you should stilll give gluten free a good trial because non-celiac gluten intolerance is much more prevalent than celiac itself.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi everyone!

I am new here! Have been reading a lot of posts and this forum has been super helpful!

Have had stomach issues for a very long time. This year some symptoms are more prominent ("fluffy stools", abdominal pain) Finally went to the GI who suggested based on my symptoms that I could have an ulcer, H pylori or Celiac Disease. He asked about my kids and if they had allergies... my oldest had very bad allergies and we had to use a nebulizer for him to stop coughing. He outgrew it. My youngest has eczema on his shins and elbows. He said he really thought this was gluten related and if I tested positive I should have my kids tested as well. He gave me Prilosec to take for 2 weeks.

He ordered the full Celiac Panel Blood Test, tested for H Pylori and some other things.
Just got a call from the nurse and said everything was normal, no signs of Celiac. H Pylori negative. I did have enlarged red blood cells (MCV) and now have to get my B-12 and folate checked. I am a vegan so it makes sense I could have a B-12 deficiency.

My question, what about my stomach? Why does it still hurt and why do I have the "fluffy" stools? Even with a B-12 deficiency these symptoms don't make much sense!

Anyone else have gone through this? Thank you so much in advance!!!!

:unsure:

You could be a sero-negative Celiac? Around 20-30% of us are. If your testing is done you can try gluten-free and see how you feel?
Fluffy stools could indicate that your gallbladder isn't working properly. More of a reason to try the gluten-free diet IMO.

#4 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

You could be a sero-negative Celiac? Around 20-30% of us are. If your testing is done you can try gluten-free and see how you feel?
Fluffy stools could indicate that your gallbladder isn't working properly. More of a reason to try the gluten-free diet IMO.

What do you mean by a sero-negative Celiac Bubba's mom? Is this when the blood panel test is negative? Thank you!!!

#5 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

I asked for copies of my results but don't have them yet. Yesterday I was tested for a vit B12 and folate deficiency to explain the high MCV reading. Waiting for that as well.

However, I went to the dentist and he said my teeth are eroding. Another dentist 8+ years ago mentioned the same thing. I am starting to wonder if this is Celiac related???

Too many coincidences?

#6 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I asked for copies of my results but don't have them yet. Yesterday I was tested for a vit B12 and folate deficiency to explain the high MCV reading. Waiting for that as well.

However, I went to the dentist and he said my teeth are eroding. Another dentist 8+ years ago mentioned the same thing. I am starting to wonder if this is Celiac related???

Too many coincidences?

remember that most labs still use articficially low "low" readings on B12 levels. It should be over 500. Methylmalonic acid/homocysteine are prob. better tests...

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,695 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Too many coincidences?

Welcome to the board. Yes those eroding teeth could be Celiac related. To answer your other question about sero-negative Celiac that is when you have a false negative blood test. I am one of that group and it took many years to get diagnosed because of that. Both my children did have positive blood tests though. After all Celiac related testing is done you should do a trial of the diet to see if it helps your problems. Sometimes the best test is our response to the diet.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

remember that most labs still use articficially low "low" readings on B12 levels. It should be over 500. Methylmalonic acid/homocysteine are prob. better tests...

Thanks for this info! Will post about my numbers once they call me with the results!

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Too many coincidences?

I just wrote a blog in celiac.com about the dentist. For the short version, I think yes the teeth can have problems because of celiac. Mine began to have problems in high school or before.

#10 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Dental enamel erosion is a typical celiac problem. Despite what the tests may be telling you, I would think you are most likely celiac. Flluffy, especially if they float, stools are very typical. You sound more and more celiac every day :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

Dental enamel erosion is a typical celiac problem. Despite what the tests may be telling you, I would think you are most likely celiac. Flluffy, especially if they float, stools are very typical. You sound more and more celiac every day :rolleyes:

Did I mention that I have terrible leg pain? And let me add that my youngest son has the same "fluffy" stools! And he complains frequently about stomach pains but even more about leg pain!!! I always thought this was growing pains. I just wish there was a reliable blood test out there that just said YES or NO. I am started to get frustrated that I might have something more serious but then I remember about my son and we both have VERY similar things going on. I am worried that if I test him his results will be negative too! Ugh so frustrated!!!! Sorry, needed to vent! :D

#12 mars817

mars817

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

We sound similar. I have horrible blood work(all my numbers pretty much are high or low the opposite of what they should be) plus I'm having horrible problems with my teeth. I've already had 3 fillings from pits in enamel and have 5 or 6 more to have done. No decay just nothing left, even with prescription toothpaste and calcium regeneration paste that hurts. My brother has celiacs, I have the gene but am still testing negative for it bloodwork wise and my biopsy was fine so I don't know..

#13 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I finally have my RESULTS! I am kind of shocked to see just 2 things tested in what's called a Comprehensive Celiac Panel. I don't know if more testing was necessary. Please help fellow forum members! Here they are:

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE AB, IGA < 1 (Range: <4 no antibody detected)

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 179 (Range: 81-463)

Now waiting on the B-12 and folate results.

Were more tests needed for the Celiac diagnosis?

Thank you!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: