Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

After A Dairy Exposure, How Long Does It Take To Recover?

newly dairy sensitive

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

I ate some cheese last night and was sick all night. It was kind of a test and boy did I pay. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to recover after this. Not fun.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I ate some cheese last night and was sick all night. It was kind of a test and boy did I pay. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to recover after this. Not fun.

We are all different in our reactions and how long they last. It depends a lot on where you are in your healing, your overall health, etc. You will find that each glutening is different for you too. Some lessons we learn the hard way.
Some will have symptoms for a few days, or weeks. I have had some last around 2-3 months because it knocks down the villi and my iron levels drop real fast.
Be sure to drink plenty of water and use probiotics to help break down your foods so you get as many nutrients as possible.
I hope you feel better fast!

#3 SMDBill

SMDBill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm severely lactose intolerant and for me it's 22 hours. That's the amount of time from ingestion of dairy to its not so fun exit. Once it's gone my system is quickly back to normal and I hope yours is as well. For me it's not at all like being glutened. That's a long recovery process, which for me was 2-3 weeks.

#4 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

If your problem from cheese is due to lactose intolerance try Swiss cheese as it is not supposed to have any lactose in it. Check the package it may say lactosefree or no lactose...if it doesn't say that then look at the sugar content and it should be 0 because lactose is a sugar.

I have been lactose intolerant all my life as well as my brother and some of my nephews. Depending on how much lactose was in what we ate determined how soon we would react with cramps and running to the bathroom with diarrhea. And if what we ate only had a small amount of lactose in it then we might not get cramps and diarrhea but just a lot of gas instead. You could do a internet search for lactose levels in foods and get a list. I don't remember them all right now but know Swiss cheese has none and butter has a small amount.
A few years ago the digestive disease doctor insisted on my having a lactose intolerance test because she wanted to be sure. They make you drink a big dose of lactose sugar and then measure your level of lactose intolerance. My level was extremely high and I spent the next 2 days being sick with abdominal cramps and in the bathroom. All they really did after the test was to give me some lactase enzyme pills and tell me to go buy some more of them.

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

I believe most hard cheeses are lactose free (or so i've heard).

#6 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I know hard cheeses and yogurt are sometimes recommended as being lower in lactose but lactose levels are also dependent on the processing and fat content.
So I suggested Swiss cheese either marked lactosefree or with 0 sugar content in case the lactose intolerance is severe...sort of as a baseline place to start for eating cheese if you are lactose intolerant. In actuality the lactose content of Swiss Cheese is considered as an insignificant amount...0.1 or less.

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

In my humble experience, any question which starts "How long..." does not have an answer. It takes as long as it takes for you, is all I can say.... Every body is unique and every response is unique and while it would be nice to have some guidelines, they reallly do not apply. Sorry about that. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009