Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Cleaning Products With Gluten Inside Of Them?

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#1 ellyy

ellyy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

How careful should I be? I went to pick up baking soda today and it wasn't labeled gluten free.... the only thing close to it was baking powder or corn starch. The baking powder was so expensive I just got baking soda... there was store brand vinegar for a dollar or the "gluten free" heinz for 2.99... I just want to wash the walls ... how will this affect me if it's "contaminated?" If I touch the surface ever again will I be hit with it? I have cuts and burns right now. am I going to get it in my body?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Most things that are gluten-free are not labelled gluten-free. They do not contain any gluten ingredients. I use cheap vinegar to clean. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Baking soda either.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

As stated, many things are out there that are gluten free without a label. There are some things labeled gluten free that I refuse to buy, such as water. OF COURSE water is gluten free! If you are cleaning with these because it is your preferred method, I see no reason you shouldn't do whatever makes you happy with those products. Including eating them. No reason they would contain gluten. If you are using them because you are afraid of gluten in regular cleaning products, I wouldn't worry about it so much. If you have a cell phone you can call every company before you purchase something, right from the store.

As for cuts on your hands? I wouldn't worry there either. Celiac is an autoimmune reaction that happens inside the small intestine. Even if you accidentally took the lid off of the wheat flour and stuck your hand straight in it, it wouldn't really be cause for concern unless you have an allergy. In which case, panic! Okay, don't do that, go to the ER, call a family member, get your epi-pen or w/e it is you would need to do.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

I agree with Karen-- you are fine with those. I use cheap white vinegar often in the laundry, for cleaning, etc. I prefer it to a lot of chemicals.

Gluten needs to get into your digestive system to cause a reaction, so no worries about your cuts. Of course the vinegar might sting those so be careful!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think the only time you'd have to be concerned is if there was gluten in your dish soap, but I can't imagine anything of the sort having gluten in it (conventional stuff is all chemicals, natural stuff I've never ever seen a problem with).
I cook (and clean) with regular ol Arm & Hammer baking soda, and unless you're using malt vinegar for cleaning, you'll be fine.

Happy cleaning!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Actually, the Ecover lemon scent dish soap has gluten in it, which I know because I use
the chamomile scent as shampoo (don't ask how that got started... :ph34r: ) And I bought a lemon
one by accident one day, and was reading it in the shower, and it says right there: wheat protein.
How wude! Definitely wouldn't want to use it on my dishes..... Anyhoo, it's certainly quite rare,
but certain products do contain gluten. Not products like baking soda, or epsom salts, or something
like that, but packaged things with more than one ingredient always warrant a look.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

I cook (and clean) with regular ol Arm & Hammer baking soda, and unless you're using malt vinegar for cleaning, you'll be fine.

Happy cleaning!

I think the Malt Vinegar myth has been dispelled, please read attached link.

http://noglutennopro...lt-vinegar.html
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#8 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think the Malt Vinegar myth has been dispelled, please read attached link.

http://noglutennopro...lt-vinegar.html

This article states first that the malting process 'breaks down' gluten. In that case, why
is barley malt in cereals still not acceptable? Perhaps they are two different products
but are called the same thing for some reason? I am unsure.

Also, he points out that Coeliac UK considers barley malt vinegar to be acceptable. Last
I checked, the UK celiac groups consider less than 200 ppm to be gluten-free, which as
most people in the UK and here in the US have discovered, is less than accurate.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#9 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

I have sometimes struggled with coeliac uk advice. They do some great stuff, but do seem to have some quirks.

I am interested in the malt and malt vinegar questions (as long as we dont hijack the thread...)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#10 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

I don't know anything about this couple that wrote the article, they look like nice people but its not very scientific.

In the US, its pretty easy to stay away from malt vinegar so I will do that until I see some of the "Experts" test it.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#11 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have read a few articles about the malt barley issue. The most level headed ones all come the the same conclusion, that until there is more research none of us should be putting our health at risk. Because I react to the most miniscule amounts of gluten I could pretty easily test this out, but I am also not willing to risk my health and sanity, spending a month and a half in gluten hell, just to prove people on the internet are wrong. The accepted practice based on actual science is that malted vinegar isn't safe for us to consume. I'd also avoid cleaning with it since you'd just be wiping gluten all over everything.

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#12 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

In terms of this question of using vinegar to clean with, Its much more expensive than cheap white vinegar or apple cider vinegar, I doubt anyone would clean with it. ^_^ (not sure what this smiley means, just liked him)

dancing-turkey.gif

#13 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Wow, I love when I accidentally start something. I mentioned malt vinegar because, well, you're not going to clean with it, and it's the only vinegar that is considered (by most of us) to be unsafe.
Good to know about the Ecover! If I ever get any of their dishsoap, I'll check the ingredients first.

We might have to start a thread about this barley malt/vinegar business. I think it's not safe. "Breaking down" gluten is not the same as there being none at all. It might not bother some people, but for sensivite celiacs it could be trouble. What scares me is if it's acceptable in the UK (200ppm! are you kidding me?!), then people might get the wrong idea, and begin to think that barley malt, or barley itself would be ok. Celiacs/Gluten Intolerants themselves would probably know better, but people who are making "gluten free" foods, at restaurants and such especially, might think it's ok when it's not. Best to be safe, say no barley whatsoever (unless distilled alcohol).

Anyway, as for the cleaning products, just keep reading the labels, and if it doesn't list it, it's probably ok.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I never thought someone would think cleaning with it would be a good idea, well, not exactly. But for someone new who still may have some laying around the house that hasn't been thrown out yet, I thought it may be possible in a moment of "gluten head" to grab it not thinking. Or more accurately, thinking hey, I can't eat it I may as well clean something. Then later having that Homer Simpson DOH!!!! moment. It is exactly the sort of thing I would do. :lol:

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I never thought someone would think cleaning with it would be a good idea, well, not exactly. But for someone new who still may have some laying around the house that hasn't been thrown out yet, I thought it may be possible in a moment of "gluten head" to grab it not thinking. Or more accurately, thinking hey, I can't eat it I may as well clean something. Then later having that Homer Simpson DOH!!!! moment. It is exactly the sort of thing I would do. :lol:

-_- Maybe this is Mr Glutenhead?

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: