4 replies to this topic

#1 adambryant

adambryant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

I've posted on other parts of the forum, as I've said my mum has celiac, I have no positive testing but have had symtoms for about 9 months. I have been gluten free for 5 days and the bad flatuence has reduced a lot and parts of the fullness in the abdomen after eating has reduced a little. Should I avoid dairy as well? As I noticed I had gluten free porridge (with milk) and had quite a bit of burping, also I had a activia and had a bit of gas. Is this normal or am I just over reacting?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SMDBill

SMDBill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

It doesn't sound like overraction at all. I'm lactose intolerant (very!) and a glass of milk can cause nightmares, cramping, heavy D, etc. The gas is quite normal if you are indeed lactose intolerant. If you're not lactose intolerant I wouldn't think it would cause the changes if you happen to be celiac. One way to know for sure is to get some strong lactase enzymes and take them as directed when eating meals with milk. If the symptoms change then you will know you have some sort of intolerance to milk. Lactase enzymes are great for those like me who have issues but still want to have dairy in their lives. I take a pretty strong dose when I eat something with much dairy, but I ramped up to that level to know how much my body needs to prevent those symptoms. It's an easy test and you'll know after one or two meals of trying it. And the enzymes are inexpensive and available at pharmacies and department stores over the counter.

#3 adambryant

adambryant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Thanks a lot:) I've read stuff where it could just be cos the lactose is hard to digest in the villi where its been damaged by celiac, as I think my problEm is celiac mainly as some of my symtoms have decreased after 5 days.

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Milk gets to me too. I usually use coconut or almond milks now; they're not too bad. A serious milk sensitivity can actually cause villi damage too, but I think that's the casein that causes that... not sure though.

It could be the oats too. Many celiacs have issues with oats even if they are of they gluten-free variety. Be careful what oats you use as many are made in facilities with wheat and are often cc'ed.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 adambryant

adambryant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip