7 replies to this topic

#1 abby03

abby03

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Hello! This year will be my first gluten free Thanksgiving and I'm trying to get everything all planned out. I look forward to my mom's baked mac and cheese for 364 days every year so it's definitely a MUST. I love Tinkyada rice pasta for making spaghetti and was wondering it anyone knew how their elbows did with baking? Do they do well or get mushy or hard? If they don't do well, does anyone know of any brands that make elbows that do well in the oven? Thanks so much! : )

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hello! This year will be my first gluten free Thanksgiving and I'm trying to get everything all planned out. I look forward to my mom's baked mac and cheese for 364 days every year so it's definitely a MUST. I love Tinkyada rice pasta for making spaghetti and was wondering it anyone knew how their elbows did with baking? Do they do well or get mushy or hard? If they don't do well, does anyone know of any brands that make elbows that do well in the oven? Thanks so much! : )

I use the Tink elbows for mac and cheese regularly. They do very well in the oven for me--I undercook the pasta a bit, and only bake until it is bubbly. I used to use the shells, but like the elbows better--they are a bit lighter and don't overwhelm the sauce.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

I don't see why not.

I can't do that type of pasta (it sits like lead and doesn't taste very good to me) so i use ancient harvest quinoa. I know for a fact that this one can handle backing (because i've overcooked it on the stovetop before and it didn't affect it at all :blink: ).

#4 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I use Tinkyada elbows all the time for mac and cheese. Don't cook as long as the package says - I find 12 minutes is enough. The elbows stay soft in the sauce and even freeze well.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#5 jennsteinhauer

jennsteinhauer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I don't actually cook my Tinkyada before using it in baking. What I do is pour hot water (not quite boiling) into the kitchen sink and soak my noodles for 10-20 minutes depending on which noodles I'm using. (10 mins for the little guys, and 20 for the lasagne noodles) Then they bake perfectly and aren't overcooked in the end.
gluten-free since 7.5.2010
started a snowball effect of friends finding out they're celiac 7.6.2010

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Now that is an interesting way of handling noodles -- I'm going to try that next time!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Now that is an interesting way of handling noodles -- I'm going to try that next time!

Also energy- saving. Not a bad idea....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

For baking in the oven, I preferred a corn and quinoa macaroni that I got from the health food store. We liked the taste better and it really holds up well. Alas, daughter is now intolerant to quinoa so... No go for that. I don't know that I have actually seen any macaroni in the Tinkyada. I have used their lasagna though and maybe I cooked it too long but it did tend to get a bit mushy in the oven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: