Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Good News On The Canadian Gluten-Free Beer Front

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I don't want to sound like a spokesperson or anything, but I am just so pleased!

I'm a beer lover. I miss it. I've found a tolerable gluten-free beer in Ontario (Nicklebrook Gluten Free) that is my go-to, and have been lucky enough to try some good ones from the US and abroad (brought back by my dear beer mule boyfriend), but you can't imagine how excited I was when they announced an exclusively gluten-free brewery would have a cask at the beer tasting at my local bar this past weekend (the bar which has a MASSIVE beer selection, and always makes me jealous...)

So, I was pumped, and was not disappointed. They're called Snowman Brewing, and they've just gotten started with their own craft, small-batch, handmade, entirely gluten-free beers. Whilst sipping their amber ale quite approvingly (bit of a bitterness at first, but light and kind of fuity, no aftertaste), I chatted the owners up and found out that one of their mothers is Celiac, which inspired to do something brave: start a gluten-free brewery from scratch. Not only are they doing it good, they're doing it properly.

The beer is made from millet, which they malt themselved in a malter they built out of a filing cabinet! They had to buy all their equipment new (not contaminated), and when I asked about them having their beer on tap, cause you can't use the regular lines. Maybe the cider line, but even that's risking it. So they're using disposable kegs, so they know nothing else has been in it, and a special hook-up so bars can't hook it up to their regular lines. Also, they're gettng each batch tested before it ships out, so if someone gets CC'd, they'll know it was the bar and not the brewery.

What's so exciting is they're trying all kinds of varieties. Another local bar is supposed to have their Maple Stout this coming week (Gluten free Maple Stout! oooh excited...) and said they've done a scotch ale, and are going to try all kinds of fun things.

So, you're wondering, where can I find this wonderful beer? Um, you'll have to come to Toronto, and then you'll have to be lucky and go to the right place. Right now they're too small to start bottling, so will just have it at a few places on tap (ON TAP!), but the liquor store here has told them as soon as there's enough, it'll be on shelves.

Ok, it's a ways off yet, but very very promising. And I wanted to rant my excitement about it. about 2 pints later, I was still quite pleased.

A couple other brewers at the tasting said they plan to try gluten-free beers as well (yay!)

If anyone is in the GTA, and wants to find out where/when they can find Snowman beers, check them out on the twitter.

Thanks for indulging me on my indulgence.

Cheers!

Peg

Ads by Google:

This sounds promising. :) Nice to know they are taking such care. Thanks for posting.

I am in Ottawa but if I go to TO I will research where to get it before.

It gets better!

I had the Maple Stout on friday. very very nice.

But the bar was also doing samples of 3 beers (3!) from Brasseurs Sans Gluten (BSG) from Montreal. They were all excellent! They must sell all over the place in Quebec, and hopefully (fingers crossed) will get picked up by the LCBO soon. I have LCBO insider info (my man is the beer guy at one), so will definitely let you know when that's available here. In the meantime, worth a hop over to Montreal.

If you're in Toronto, check barVolo (Yonge/Wellesley) or The Only Cafe (Danforth/Donlands)

Happy beer hunting

Ugh! You Easterners get all the good stuff! LOL I'm so jealous... a stout....Mmmmmm.

One day I will pop over to Hull and see if I can find it there in the SAQ. Thanks for the update.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• First, do you have celiac disease?  Have you recently had a celiac antibodies follow-up blood test panel to see if gluten has been actually getting into your diet by accident or through cross contamination?  If you haven't had the test, you should ask your doctor for one.  You could also also ask for a follow-up endoscopy to see if you intestines have truly healed.  This will rule out if gluten is really the problem.    If you don't have celiac, I assume you have Non-celiac gluten Intolerance because no one would stick to the gluten-free diet for six years unless you have had reductions in symptoms.  There is no test for NCGI unfortunately.  So, it is hard to say if gluten has been sneaking into your diet.  You really are going to have to try to figure out if you are getting gluten into your diet.  If gluten is not the problem, then your doctor needs to check you for other issues, like SIBO. There is a test to check for SIBO.  Has this been done?   Once a celiac, always a celiac.  There is no cure for celiac disease except to remain on a gluten free diet for life.  I am not sure about NCGI.  Not much research has been done.  Maybe others can chime in?    
    • I am so confused right now.... 6 years ago I went on gluten free diet... after being on it for the first yr I was 100%better up until 5 months ago in got the "flu" the doctors told me to cut out dairy sonic did and my diarrhea  became better but not completely gone would not have it every day tho. I went to the gi doctor and they said to cut out fructose and dairy and keep gluten out... yesterday I went to the dietitian to see what I can eat and she gave me the list for fructose... she said it should have been on a antibiotic for sibo.... eventually I will be able to add dairy back and maybe gluten.... I said how can I add gluten back when this was my first problem... she goes well through fructose goes hand in hand with it... I said with gluten I vomit and am sick for weeks.... fructose isn't that bad I vomit sometimes but I'm not sick for weeks.... I'm just confused on really what is going on and was wondering if you or someone you know had sibo from gluten and or fructose and how Is this all related?
    • I see no one has responded to your query.  Unfortunately I have yet to try making a pie crust.  It was something I never mastered before going gluten free.  Have you looked on Pinterest?  You might find something there.
    • I honestly feel like both doctors think it's all in my head even though there is proof.  Yeah there was a point when I felt crazy.  That was when I was being shuffled from dr to dr being given individual diagnoses of my problems.  None of those diagnoses ever made me get better.  Seriously I was diagnosed with heart palpitations, neurocardiogenic syncope, I was given a butt load of steroids because a dr felt like I was producing too much adrenaline, freaking had a few tell me I was depressed, and the good ol IBS.  It seemed most wanted to push pills.  It's all just ridiculous!
    • I can't believe your doctors!!! You have a daughter who is dx'd already! Yet the ped doesn't want to test your other kids unless you have a dx????!!! Are you kidding me???!!! That's absurd!!! They have a first degree relative who has been dx'd with celiac already. There is no need to wait to see what you turn out to be!! And then, and then, and then....don't even get me started on your doctor!!! Does he have brain damage? Oh this is insane & ridiculous!  I have never heard of a disease that doctors are so unwilling to consider or test for OR to diagnose as this one! Usually they are hot to trot to make a dx but say the word celiac & they shake in their boots. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jashan8534