#1 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hi -

My mom makes a banana pudding every Thanksgiving. The filling is gluten free, but it involves lining a pan with Nilla Wafers. Anyone know a good gluten free substitute for the cookies? I'd like to make a little dish on the side for my son so he can have some too.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

I'd probably opt for the Schar shortbread cookies . . . 'bout the right size, too.

http://www.schar.com...tbread-cookies/
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#3 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

How 'bout gluten-free lady fingers? I forgot what the brand name is but they are available and they are made to be soaked in stuff and layered with pudding and such.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

There are a lot of great recipes available to make your own. Sadly I have seen nothing that is actually a replacement for them. I personally don't think I'd enjoy shortbread cookies covered in pudding and left to get soggy. On the other hand, I obsessed with timarmisu which means I am also obsessed with lady fingers. I'd go with them. Covered in a pudding-y substance is exactly how they are supposed to be.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Could you use gluten-free Graham crackers? Maybe just sprinkle them on top or in the bottom of the bowl, then spoon his pudding part in at the time of eating - keep them from being soggy.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

All great ideas, thanks! Hmmm graham crackers - my son would be all over that. The Nilla wafers actually do get a little soggy (especially the ones at the bottom of the pan) but it still tastes good. I guess a soggy cookie is better than no cookie at all :)

#7 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Speaking from experience I would go with the lady fingers. You can buy them or make them. I have an excellent recipe for them if you are interested. They stand up to tiramisu very well.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

We have used everything from Gluten Free Graham Crackers (I can only find them locally at my whole foods) Kinnikinnick S'moreables® Graham Style Crackers or their Animal style crackers - both worked good. Also, the Schar shortbread cookies would work (whole foods or Sprouts) ... not sure what stores you have around you. Good luck!

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Animal crackers, at least the gluteny ones, are closest to 'nilla wafers I think. And it might be fun to have those animal shapes. My health food store carries Kinnikinnick breads. I'm going to ask them if they can get those animal crackers. They sound so good!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: