This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nilla Wafers Sub?

Kelleybean

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Hi -

My mom makes a banana pudding every Thanksgiving. The filling is gluten free, but it involves lining a pan with Nilla Wafers. Anyone know a good gluten free substitute for the cookies? I'd like to make a little dish on the side for my son so he can have some too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

I'd probably opt for the Schar shortbread cookies . . . 'bout the right size, too.

Open Original Shared Link

missy'smom Collaborator

How 'bout gluten-free lady fingers? I forgot what the brand name is but they are available and they are made to be soaked in stuff and layered with pudding and such.

Adalaide Mentor

There are a lot of great recipes available to make your own. Sadly I have seen nothing that is actually a replacement for them. I personally don't think I'd enjoy shortbread cookies covered in pudding and left to get soggy. On the other hand, I obsessed with timarmisu which means I am also obsessed with lady fingers. I'd go with them. Covered in a pudding-y substance is exactly how they are supposed to be.

kareng Grand Master

Could you use gluten-free Graham crackers? Maybe just sprinkle them on top or in the bottom of the bowl, then spoon his pudding part in at the time of eating - keep them from being soggy.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

All great ideas, thanks! Hmmm graham crackers - my son would be all over that. The Nilla wafers actually do get a little soggy (especially the ones at the bottom of the pan) but it still tastes good. I guess a soggy cookie is better than no cookie at all :)

love2travel Mentor

Speaking from experience I would go with the lady fingers. You can buy them or make them. I have an excellent recipe for them if you are interested. They stand up to tiramisu very well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darissa Contributor

We have used everything from Gluten Free Graham Crackers (I can only find them locally at my whole foods) Kinnikinnick S'moreables® Graham Style Crackers or their Animal style crackers - both worked good. Also, the Schar shortbread cookies would work (whole foods or Sprouts) ... not sure what stores you have around you. Good luck!

bartfull Rising Star

Animal crackers, at least the gluteny ones, are closest to 'nilla wafers I think. And it might be fun to have those animal shapes. My health food store carries Kinnikinnick breads. I'm going to ask them if they can get those animal crackers. They sound so good!

Archived