4 replies to this topic

#1 Chloe Miller

Chloe Miller

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Hi, I was diagnosed with celiacs about a year and a half ago and have been sticking with the gluten free diet my hardest. I'm only 18 years old but suffer from painful "attacks" which is when I get sharp abdominal pains that bring me to tears. I try everything to avoid these attacks, yet they still come. My dad was also recently diagnosed but does not have as severe symptoms. During the attacks, I get sharp pains not only in my abdominal region but my shoulders sometimes either right or left. I still tend to feel fatigued and get headaches as well. The attacks do not last long but are no fun experience for anybody. Not sure what else to do besides visit the Doctor again?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like your gallbladder might be going on ya. Go to the doctor and have a HIDA scan done to check.

It could also be that you are getting CC'd somehow or have developed another issue. A good idea is to keep a food diery and write down everything that you eat. IF you see a connection eliminate the food.

#3 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi Chloe & welcome to the forum.

Couple questions:
Was the shoulder pain something that used to happen before gluten-free?
Is the abdominal pain similar to anything pre-gluten-free?

Where you say 'sticking w/ the diet my hardest', does that mean some inevitable cross-contam from eating out or more like occasionally having a little something w/ known gluten?
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 rebeccanicole88

rebeccanicole88

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I've been gluten free for two years and suffer with those sharp pains also. Still don't know what they are. Will you let me know what you find out?
Gluten Free since 2010
Chocolate Free since 2013

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

You could try to keep a food/symptom journal. You may be able to link those pains with something that you are eating. It could be a certain brand or restaurant meal that has cc, or it could be another food intolerance. It works best if you can keep you diet simple with only one change per week. Produce and plain meats make this process of figuring things out even easier and they don't have so many ingredients or cc possibilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: