23 replies to this topic

#16 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

That explains a lot, thanks. It was quite a long time ago that I had checked them out and maybe I was just put off by the whole, having both thing. Still... having the one with wheat crackers in the gluten free section of the store? Morons much? One of two things was going to happen. Either, they would sit and rot and no one would ever buy them and no one at the store would ever figure out why OR some poor celiac in a hurry would grab it, knowing that they've always eating Go Picnic meals without issue. It is a store with a good reputation, they wouldn't put something like that there right? No need to read the label and BAM! I have been quite looking forward to them getting the gluten free ones but it hasn't happened yet.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have seen a number of stores put regular crackers, cookies, whatever, in the
gluten free section, Mi-Del for example, and it's frequently a brand that also does
gluten free, so I agree, that is very misleading. Just another place where we have
to be ever-vigilant..... sigh....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#18 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

While in the hospital recovering from minor heart surgery, i got to see my chart which has a big celiac stamp on it and a note that i'm vegan not to have any animal protein-- so of course they gave me a tuna sandwich on whole wheat for lunch.

AKKKK! Yes, I concur. We have a winner, the dietary dept. at Ken's hospital. That's really bad.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#19 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

I have seen a number of stores put regular crackers, cookies, whatever, in the
gluten free section, Mi-Del for example, and it's frequently a brand that also does
gluten free, so I agree, that is very misleading. Just another place where we have
to be ever-vigilant..... sigh....

Agreed. I was in a store last week that had a huge "gluten free" banner across a whole freezer case, but NO gluten free foods in it. At all.

When I asked the clerk, he just shrugged and said that stuff's getting more popular so maybe if I asked the manager they might start to carry it but probably not. Huh? That was a definite 'what the...?' moment.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#20 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

they were pretty stupid!

AKKKK! Yes, I concur. We have a winner, the dietary dept. at Ken's hospital. That's really bad.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I see nothing wrong with this pony obsession, but I am obsessed with bunnies, so what do I know?.

Loving this head banging pony....I feel like this often :lol:

Last night at dinner.

A basket of bread is brought to the table by the "bread guy" (this seems to be his only job) , despite the fact the server for our table has just my "gluten-free order" and the host/owner knows what celiac is and they provide a full gluten-free menu with separate prep areas in the kitchen..

Hub's caesar salad arrives with croutons (he can just pick them off--he is not celiac or NCGI) but he has not eaten gluten in nearly 2 years and we said he was also gluten-free to her.

After dinner:

Hubs: Is that "gluten-free flourless chocolate cake" made here?
Her: Oh no We have that delivered.
Me: FROM????
Her: Sysco
Me: SYSCO...SYSCO? who mass produces wheat flour baked goods for all the area restaurants?
Her: uh huh, I guess so.
Hubs: just bring us a creme brulee--your chef makes that, correct?
Her: uh huh. but what's wrong with the cake? No flour in it, right?
Me: I could give you a lecture now on cross contamination, but we have tickets to the theater, so let's
just cut to the chase. A creme brulee, the check ....and please, stop telling people the Flourless chocolate cake is gluten-free, because it isn't.
Her: (all haughty) Why not?
Hubs, seeing my face turning red even in the candlelight: My wife will write a letter to the manager explaining why.

Come to find out, their "gluten-free pizza shells"--also mass produced in this place.

Me in the car: (insert head banging pony you posted)

Well, the Sysco cake "may" have been gluten-free. Hard to tell. Sysco is a distributer of foods to the restraunt industry, so they resell many products that they don't make themselves. The restraunt would have to verify the manufacturer to see if it is really gluten-free. Most likely Sysco just receives it, puts it in a great big freezer or refrigerator, and then delivers it when restraunts order it. That's what they do with most food items they sell/distribute. They are kind of like the A-river word of the food industry. But they are a wholesaler, not a retailer. Lots and lots of restraunts use Sysco as their source for meats, cheeses, veggies, etc, etc etc. If the gluten-free cake was from Sysco, probably most of the other food items at your meal were from Sysco also. Often enough, when you go by a restraunt you will see a Sysco truck parked out back. That's what they are there for, to deliver food items for resale. Just some info from working in a restraunt years ago. Hope it helps.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Actually, I have experience with this particular "flourless chocolate cake" that is distributed by the SYSCO here in NY.
It already bit me on the ass in another upscale place last year.
I posted about it because it was a terrible 2 week glutening episode.
No way it was anything else as the chef prepared everything from scratch and takes it very seriously.

I called the restaurant (after I became ill) and the chef called the manager of the SYSCO on my behalf
who told him she "goes by what the bakery" tells her. In other words, they have no clue.
So, I say it's not "gluten free enough". :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#23 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Actually, I have experience with this particular "flourless chocolate cake" that is distributed by the SYSCO here in NY.
It already bit me on the ass in another upscale place last year.
I posted about it because it was a terrible 2 week glutening episode.
No way it was anything else as the chef prepared everything from scratch and takes it very seriously.

I called the restaurant (after I became ill) and the chef called the manager of the SYSCO on my behalf
who told him she "goes by what the bakery" tells her. In other words, they have no clue.
So, I say it's not "gluten free enough". :)

Could be it isn't, ouch! :( Here's a listing of their search results for gluten-free products. Three pages of hits.

http://www.sysco.com...tml?gluten free

Lots of hits and different suppliers. Getting them (Sysco) to do a good job on gluten-free products would help a lot of restraunts become more gluten-free safe. If there is a problem that is, since Sysco is a major food service supplier to oodles of restraunts. They supply raw vegatables also, so cooking from scratch doesn't mean they didn't get their veggies from Sysco.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#24 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Good point, DC.

I worked for a Mich. pie company in the 70's. One of our biggest customers was Sysco. Mrs. Smith Pies bought us out and the federal court declared it would be illegal, creating an oligoply. Swear to God.

Happy thanksgiving to all, cheerios. (Oops, Rice Chex!)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: