Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can You Get "glutened" By Tartar On Teeth?

3 posts in this topic

this might sound like a silly question but i'm a little paranoid. i started a gluten-free diet a few weeks ago and i'm worried the small amount of tartar on my front teeth is counterproductive. i've read that dental plaque actually destroys the gliadin protein but i'm just not sure.

Ads by Google:

Hmm, I have never even thought of this, or heard anyone else mention it. I honestly wouldn't worry, but for piece of mind you could schedule a cleaning with the dentist. Make sure when you go, that they only use gluten free cleaning pastes and such.

Someone else might have another idea though

Welcome to the forum! hope we can be of help.

As the other poster said if your concerned you may want to schedule a cleaning. I don't think it would be an issue but you could ask the hygenist to make sure to make frequent use of 'the sucky thing' when the cleaning is being done. For cleaning my dentist uses just plain pumice with no flavoring just to be on the safe side. Most everything your dentist will use will be safe but a good one will check on stuff before your appointment. Just give them a heads up a when you set up the appointment that they need to check.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Celiac Sensitivity?
      For dining out, check out the website: http://Www.findmeglutenfree.com.  They list restaurants with gluten free menu's and options in your area and there are reviews from other celiacs on there to help you figure out the better, safe places to eat.  Great web site!   Although it is optimal to not dine out at first, reality sometimes gets in the way.  I had booked a trip months before I got really sick and would have lost a lot of money if I did not go.  A month after diagnosis, I flew overseas and ate out for dinner only every night.  I ate plain foods but they were well prepared so still quite good. I never got sick.  I was careful and it worked. Luckily, Europe was way more gluten free knowledgeable than the US at that time and still is.  So, it can be done if you are very careful!
    • Anyone experience brain fog like this?
      Thanks for the reply, melprkr! Feeling like you're still in a swimming pool moving is a good way to put it. It feels kind of like motion sickness, come to think of it, or a really bad hangover. I was curious because my experience of 'brain fog' in the context of thyroid problems feels so different than brain fog caused by gluten, and I couldn't quite figure out how to explain it. Swimming pool comes pretty close, though. Hope you feel better soon as well!
    • Toblerone
      Although, gluten free...chocolate gives me reflux if I eat too much.  I can handle only a little.
    • Anyone experience brain fog like this?
      Brain fog is a common symptom.  I had a hamburger patty from a local restaurant and am suffering the effects.  Sometimes mine is bad and sometimes it is mild.  This one feels mild, provided I am not "glutened" again.  I have the exact same feelings when I am contaminated.  I actually had 2 good days this week to ony have to go back through this again.  The first day is just tired and want to sleep, but as each day goes on it seems like all I can do to concentrate and do anything.  TV is OK but for me just standing up or moving sometimes makes me dizzy.  Luckily I don't have the nausea but even sitting still I feel like I am in a swimming pool moving.  You know kind of like when you were a kid and you got in the pool or went roller skating but then got out and and you still felt like you in the pool or skating?  The anxiety and the depression is the worst.  I am taking things to help with it but it doesn't always help.  Only thing that seems to help sometimes is just going in to my room and laying there and not moving and just going to sleep.   It will pass.  Just be cautious about everything.  I have opted to let my family know that I will bring my OWN food when we have gatherings.  I don't mind being the odd man out because I am already the odd ball.  One thing I have learned and that is people mean well but mistakes happen and we are the ones who have to pay the price.   Hope you feel better soon.
    • gluten intolerance, dairy intolerance and fructose
      Look into The Paleo Approach by Sara Ballentyne, PhD.  Great resource and will probably answer your questions.  I have the same problem. You have to really read labels.  The only coconut milk I can use is an organic canned one.  Others have too many ingredients that are problematic.  For now, stay with meat and vegetables as someone else has recommended.  If rice works for you, great.  If not, winter squash is good.  The diet change is overwhelming at first but then it starts to make sense.  The one good thing about an intolerance versus allergy is the possibility of someday being able to add it back into your diet once your gut has healed.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Mamalarge