Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can You Get "glutened" By Tartar On Teeth?

3 posts in this topic

this might sound like a silly question but i'm a little paranoid. i started a gluten-free diet a few weeks ago and i'm worried the small amount of tartar on my front teeth is counterproductive. i've read that dental plaque actually destroys the gliadin protein but i'm just not sure.

Ads by Google:

Hmm, I have never even thought of this, or heard anyone else mention it. I honestly wouldn't worry, but for piece of mind you could schedule a cleaning with the dentist. Make sure when you go, that they only use gluten free cleaning pastes and such.

Someone else might have another idea though

Welcome to the forum! hope we can be of help.

As the other poster said if your concerned you may want to schedule a cleaning. I don't think it would be an issue but you could ask the hygenist to make sure to make frequent use of 'the sucky thing' when the cleaning is being done. For cleaning my dentist uses just plain pumice with no flavoring just to be on the safe side. Most everything your dentist will use will be safe but a good one will check on stuff before your appointment. Just give them a heads up a when you set up the appointment that they need to check.