Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Candy Cane?

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! This will be my daughter's first Christmas on the gluten-free diet and she's already talking about candy canes. I know most are off limits. I was wondering though of people had experiences from years' past - will I be able to find gluten-free candy canes in places like Whole Foods or health stores? Or do I need to plan ahead and order some?

This is all assuming they make gluten-free candy canes. If not, my daughter will be devastated. (Being only a toddler makes it extra hard to exercise self control).

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

you could possibly make your own if you can't find any.

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • Red food coloring

Preparation:

Cook sugar, corn syrup, water, and cream of tartar to a very hard ball stage (use candy thermometer: 250 to 265 degrees F.). Remove from heat and add peppermint. Divide into two parts and add red food coloring to one part and mix well.

Pull pieces of each part to form ropes and twist red around the white to make candy canes.

Yield: 1 dozen

Cost analysis: Store bought: $1.29 per dozen; Homemade: 50 cents per dozen

Got it from here http://homecooking.a...s/r/bldes24.htm

here is another www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/candy-cane-recipe.html

It might be a fun project.

I might actually do this recipie. It doesn't sound too difficult to do.

I think most candy canes in the US, are OK. There is usually a list published after Thanksgiving. If I see one, I will link it here.

Here is last years list & these companies will probably be fine this year. Jane Anderson does a good job with these lists, I trust them. (But I still read ingredients incase....well, you never know).

http://celiacdisease...Candy-Canes.htm

The Bob's are the ones I always a see a lot of....and there are phone numbers you could call and ask.

You got me thinking. I like to use candy canes on top of brownies or in meringes. Just google gluten free candy canes and there seems to be lots of stuff on the web.

http://www.spanglercandy.com/faqs/product-faqs#gluten-protein

Are Spangler products gluten-free?

A: Dum Dums, Saf-T-Pops, Swirl Saf-T-Pops, Candy Canes, and Dum Dums Chewy Pops do not contain the gluten protein found in wheat, barley, rye, or oats.

We have contacted our suppliers on the ingredients we use, including sugar, corn syrup, citric, malic, lactic acid, ascorbic acid, artificial flavors & colors, starch, release agents, and processing aids. These products do not contain the gluten protein that causes a problem for people with Celiac Sprue.

Thanks, everyone. That list is very helpful. I feel silly for not having googled before posting my question. I thought I had read that candy canes were usually off-limits in the early days when I was reading up on celiac and never bothered to follow up - just assumed the worst. I'm so happy that there will most likely be tons of variety from which to pick. Yay! And to those of you brave enough to make your own, definitely sounds like a fun project. I may even try it. But knowing my skills, the homemade variety may not do very well against the commercial brands in terms of appearances. Thanks again, all!

I might do it because of my food coloring issues. If i do i'll probably post a picture on here :)

Whole Foods has gluten free candy canes. They also have frozen gluten free pie crusts which make my daughter's favorite pumpkin pie a snap for Turkey Day!

My teens were pleasantly surprised their first gluten-free Christmas when all the candy canes we checked were gluten-free. I too use the left overs crushed up in brownies, cake/cupcake frosting or just sprinkled on top with a drizzle of icing - yummy.

If you like and can find them, Bob's soft peppermint sticks and balls, are gluten-free. They are free of corn sryup if that is a problem. I love them!