8 replies to this topic

#1 AGH2010

AGH2010

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi everyone! This will be my daughter's first Christmas on the gluten-free diet and she's already talking about candy canes. I know most are off limits. I was wondering though of people had experiences from years' past - will I be able to find gluten-free candy canes in places like Whole Foods or health stores? Or do I need to plan ahead and order some?

This is all assuming they make gluten-free candy canes. If not, my daughter will be devastated. (Being only a toddler makes it extra hard to exercise self control).

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

you could possibly make your own if you can't find any.

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • Red food coloring
Preparation:

Cook sugar, corn syrup, water, and cream of tartar to a very hard ball stage (use candy thermometer: 250 to 265 degrees F.). Remove from heat and add peppermint. Divide into two parts and add red food coloring to one part and mix well.

Pull pieces of each part to form ropes and twist red around the white to make candy canes.

Yield: 1 dozen

Cost analysis: Store bought: $1.29 per dozen; Homemade: 50 cents per dozen

Got it from here http://homecooking.a...s/r/bldes24.htm

here is another www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/candy-cane-recipe.html

It might be a fun project.

I might actually do this recipie. It doesn't sound too difficult to do.

#3 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think most candy canes in the US, are OK. There is usually a list published after Thanksgiving. If I see one, I will link it here.

Here is last years list & these companies will probably be fine this year. Jane Anderson does a good job with these lists, I trust them. (But I still read ingredients incase....well, you never know).

http://celiacdisease...Candy-Canes.htm

The Bob's are the ones I always a see a lot of....and there are phone numbers you could call and ask.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

You got me thinking. I like to use candy canes on top of brownies or in meringes. Just google gluten free candy canes and there seems to be lots of stuff on the web.

http://www.spanglerc...#gluten-protein

Are Spangler products gluten-free?
A: Dum Dums, Saf-T-Pops, Swirl Saf-T-Pops, Candy Canes, and Dum Dums Chewy Pops do not contain the gluten protein found in wheat, barley, rye, or oats.
We have contacted our suppliers on the ingredients we use, including sugar, corn syrup, citric, malic, lactic acid, ascorbic acid, artificial flavors & colors, starch, release agents, and processing aids. These products do not contain the gluten protein that causes a problem for people with Celiac Sprue.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 AGH2010

AGH2010

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks, everyone. That list is very helpful. I feel silly for not having googled before posting my question. I thought I had read that candy canes were usually off-limits in the early days when I was reading up on celiac and never bothered to follow up - just assumed the worst. I'm so happy that there will most likely be tons of variety from which to pick. Yay! And to those of you brave enough to make your own, definitely sounds like a fun project. I may even try it. But knowing my skills, the homemade variety may not do very well against the commercial brands in terms of appearances. Thanks again, all!

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I might do it because of my food coloring issues. If i do i'll probably post a picture on here :)

#7 maitrimama

maitrimama

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Whole Foods has gluten free candy canes. They also have frozen gluten free pie crusts which make my daughter's favorite pumpkin pie a snap for Turkey Day!

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

My teens were pleasantly surprised their first gluten-free Christmas when all the candy canes we checked were gluten-free. I too use the left overs crushed up in brownies, cake/cupcake frosting or just sprinkled on top with a drizzle of icing - yummy.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

If you like and can find them, Bob's soft peppermint sticks and balls, are gluten-free. They are free of corn sryup if that is a problem. I love them!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: