#1 qwertygirl

qwertygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I wanted to post my experience ordering a gluten free meal while flying first class on Delta this past week. I had read in a couple of places that the first class gluten-free meal is the same as the economy class gluten-free meal, and wanted to correct that. It is not the same meal. It's actually pretty good, in fact, and I'm really happy I ordered it.

First flight was from Detroit to L.A. They said they didn't get my order in time, so I think I just ate the salad. No big deal. I'd also brought some Kind bars from home, and I made it to L.A. just fine.

Second flight was from L.A. to Tokyo. The pursuer came over to tell me they had a special meal for me. First course was a bowl of fruit, a rice cake, and a plate of lentil salad, two shrimp, and some fire-roasted corn. It was good. Next came a huge salad with a balsamic vinagrette, cucumbers, tomato, and pine nuts. Also very good. The main course was a plain chicken breast, rice and some mushy frozen veggies. Not as good as the other two courses, but totally edible and I could've eaten the whole thing if I was really hungry.

Breakfast was an omlette with spinach, an Udi's bagel and more fruit.

The trip home was similar. A better meal on the intercontinental than on the domestic, but still totally serviceable. First course was a little salad, fruit, and some kind of tomato soup. Everyone else got a second course with a big salad, and the airline steward realized it was gluten free, so he asked if I wanted one. I did, and it was good. Entree was another chicken breast, this time with Italian spices, some rice, and I think asparagus.

Breakfast was another spinach omlette (which was edible, but not very tasty), an Udi's muffin, and a ton of fruit.

Anyway, it's airline food, so I wasn't expecting much. So I was very pleasantly surprised. And happy that work splurged on the first class ticket for such a long trip, because it meant I got to eat pretty well!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I, too, had a good experience with Delta international. But, I must say Alitalia was the best. They served some Sharr products that I have never seen in the States. And, another advantage is that you get served first. We're special. :D
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 qwertygirl

qwertygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I, too, had a good experience with Delta international. But, I must say Alitalia was the best. They served some Sharr products that I have never seen in the States. And, another advantage is that you get served first. We're special. :D

That's funny, because I just flew Alitalia from Rome to Amsterdam, and it was horrible! LOL. But my suitcase was packed full of Scharr products, so I shouldn't complain. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: