arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Making Meatballs, Corn Meal Or Crumbled Millet Bread?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 megsybeth

megsybeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hi, I'm making some meatballs and a recipe I found calls for either crumbled gluten-free bread or corn meal. I have both. Any opinion on which is better? Also, if I crumble the millet bread, should I toast it in the oven first? Doing it today so no time to dry it out.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

I just pop bread butts in the blender or food processor and use them as is. I don't blend them too long so they don't turn into dust, just more or less crumbly. I don't bother toasting or anything either. Since I'm usually working with frozen bread I do microwave it until it is just warm and always wrapped in a paper towel, I find that wicks away just enough of the moisture to make me happy.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 megsybeth

megsybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks, Adalaide. I have a vitamix but don't have the dry attachment, but a regular blender works? I don't feel like dragging out my cuisinart which is probably CCed now that I think of it (I'm new to this!).

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

The best way to add bread to meatballs/loaf recipes is to soak it in bread first (a culinary trick). Just made some today myself, actually. The meat remains moister. Make sure the breadcrumbs are not finely ground - small chunks are best. In fact, I just tear my bread into chunks and soak. The milk does the work for you.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

The best way to add bread to meatballs/loaf recipes is to soak it in bread first (a culinary trick). Just made some today myself, actually. The meat remains moister. Make sure the breadcrumbs are not finely ground - small chunks are best. In fact, I just tear my bread into chunks and soak. The milk does the work for you.

Haha, she said to soak bread in bread. She meant milk, just so anyone reading along knows,
and I would second the bread choice rather than cornmeal, although I confess I've never heard
of putting cornmeal in meatballs.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

Haha, she said to soak bread in bread. She meant milk, just so anyone reading along knows,
and I would second the bread choice rather than cornmeal, although I confess I've never heard
of putting cornmeal in meatballs.

:wacko: Oh, brother . I really did, didn't I? I definitely meant milk! Here are just a couple of hundreds of blogs who swear to this method (as do I):
http://blogs.menshea...all/2010/11/26/
http://makeaheadmeal...-meatballs.html
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 pennypal

pennypal

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Has anyone tried Rice chex instead of breadcrumbs. We love fish breaded in them. Meatloaf most anything that needs crumbs.

#8 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I love the Shar breadcrumbs for my meatballs, they work great for meatloaf and chicken strips as well :)

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#9 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Usually when I am making meatballs - or meatloaf for that matter, I add an egg but do not add a filler. The only times I have were when I was short on ground beef or had to stertch it out to feed more people and then I added cooked sweet rice. It is short grain and clumpy in a way that it blends really well with raw beef and when cooked, you cant see there is rice in it ata ll.

Also I have made rice patties with the sweet rice as well. I made patties, dredged in egg and cornmeal and the fried until crispy. Looked just like a hamburger patty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: