Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Looking For A Friend Who Understands

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm 23 years old and was recently diagnosed with celiac and a host of other food allergies and health conditions. I was wondering if there is anyone in the Bay Area, California who can relate and would like to be buddies (email, text, chat online, face-to-face). You don't even really have to be from the Bay Area, I just would like someone to talk to (that's what's so great about the internet). Right now I only have my dad (who is sensitive to gluten but no other food allergies) and my boyfriend (who has no food allergies) and they try to help as much as they can but it's not the same as having someone who can directly relate and who will understand my story. Otherwise, I have no other friends because I've been so sick for the past 5 years until they finally figured out it was food allergies a couple months ago. I'd love having more friends I can talk to and we could support each other Admittingly, I need a lot of support right now, I'm really struggling with accepting that this is my new life.

Ads by Google:

I live in Martinez in Contra Costa County--whereabouts are you located? There are a number of gluten-free folks in the S.F. Bay Area, and we used to meet up every few months at Mariposa Bakery in Oakland....but it's been a while. If you register at www.meetup.com, you'll get invited to local gluten-free meetups. You just missed a one-day gluten-free conference in Palo Alto, but one-day events are fairly common in the Bay Area--lots of new people to meet. Please send me a PM if you'd like to meet up sometime at a restaurant that has a reputable gluten-free menu. If you actually live in S.F., there are some great gluten-free restaurants (even one that serves sandwiches!).

Also, there are some great celiac organizations in the U.S. that hold annual conferences. I'm a member of the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America (GIGNA), and I attend their conferences all over the U.S. I have friends that I've kept in touch with through this organization, and it helps me not to feel so lonely and isolated. There is a local chapter: GIG of North Marin, I believe. They hold monthly meetings in Novato, but because their meetings are in the evening and I have night blindness (from celiac), I haven't yet attended one of their meetings. There are also several forum posters here who live in the Bay Area, though I've never met them personally. Perhaps they'll chime in...

Please feel free to contact me--I remember all too well how overwhelmed and lonely I felt at first. It's been almost nine years for me, so it's gotten a lot better. Hope to hear from you!

Hi,

I'm 23 years old and was recently diagnosed with celiac and a host of other food allergies and health conditions. I was wondering if there is anyone in the Bay Area, California who can relate and would like to be buddies (email, text, chat online, face-to-face). You don't even really have to be from the Bay Area, I just would like someone to talk to (that's what's so great about the internet). Right now I only have my dad (who is sensitive to gluten but no other food allergies) and my boyfriend (who has no food allergies) and they try to help as much as they can but it's not the same as having someone who can directly relate and who will understand my story. Otherwise, I have no other friends because I've been so sick for the past 5 years until they finally figured out it was food allergies a couple months ago. I'd love having more friends I can talk to and we could support each other Admittingly, I need a lot of support right now, I'm really struggling with accepting that this is my new life.

I don't live in the CA area but I totally understand how you feel. Besides not being able to eat gluten, I have multiple food issues. The main ones are soy and dairy. I also can't eat alot of vegetables or fruits. It sure can be frustrating and helps to have someone to talk to about all this. I am always willing to talk to you!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Ah, more information trickles in...... There are a few things that may elevate a Ttg igA result: 1)  celiac disease, 2) Lyme disease, 3) another autoimmune disorder.  Someone recently posted during the Last month who had a very elevated TTg but ended up not having celiac disease.  Instead he was diagnosed with Lyme disease.  My memory could be wrong, so do the research.   The bottom line is that further research by a GI is recommended.   Celiac antibody results do not always correlate with the severity of intestinal damage in someone with celiac disease.  That is why an endoscopy/biopsies is still the gold standard for diagnosis.  Europe is opting to avoid the endoscopy in small children, but not the US.   Her IgG Celiacs tests were negative, so he is checking for a wheat allergy?    
    • Awok, Welcome to the forum.  Have you considered trace gluten?  Here is a study on the topic: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3598839/pdf/1471-230X-13-40.pdf It could explain why you felt good for a while.  I personally was glutened badly last summer.  I have no idea what got me.  I suspect either a prescription medication or one gluten free product (not certified).  I ended up on a whole foods diet and avoided even certified processed gluten-free foods including grains until I was healed (three to six months).  
    • I've had a range of symptoms in the last 2 months and in the past few weeks I have discovered that my TTG abs (igA) levels were 41 (my igA tests were fine). The doctor said that he is pretty much certain that it is celiac disease and I am awaiting an endoscopy to confirm it.  Before I found out that my TTG abs (igA) levels were high, I noticed that my body was reacting really badly to dairy products. I went on an elimination diet and stopped all gluten and dairy products and felt much better. I carried this on after my results and thought that I must have developed a dairy intolerance due to my celiac. 2 days ago I accidentally consumed a glass of wine which I thought was dairy free but it contained Milk. I have not had any gluten.  I am currently in the middle of a flare up. All of a sudden rashes have started to appear on my hands and my anxiety has returned (usually not a anxious person). No diarhhoea, vomiting or digestive issues. I am currently suffering from muscle twitching, rashes predominantly on hands and feet, brain fog, pins and needles/numbness on hands, feet and arms. However, I have been tested for milk allergy and this came back negative. Is it possible that it is dairy that is causing my symptoms/autoimmune reaction and could this be a reason for elevetated TTG abs (igA) levels. Or has the doctor only picked up my celiac and missing something else. If it was dairy intolerance then I would have digestive issues but I don't seem to have any. Could it be the casein protein?  Anyone been in a similar situation or can anyone provide some insight? 
    • Hello Everyone, This is my first post here and I am writing to seek help from experienced people here. I have been suffering for over 4 years now and still no where close to having a solution/ satisfactory diagnosis of my problem. My problems started in Mar 2012 with sudden diarrhea which would not go away for days. At first, I was given general antibiotics medication which would help bring down the frequency for some days and then it would come back. Since then it has been going on. I am giving a time line and the series of tests and procedures I have gone through. Would like opinion from experienced and experts here. I can send the scans and reports if required. Would really appreciate the help. Male, Indian origin Mar 2012 - onset of symptoms - multiple bouts diarrhea - spaced 3-4 weeks, bloating, weight loss (to start with I was 74 Kgs), GP managed with antibitocs and loperamide for months Dec 2012 - consulted a GI doc towards end of 2012, Colonoscopy done - conclusion was "IBS" - was advised to manage stress. use Rifaximin and immodium Jan 2013 - Aug 2013 kept moderately fine for 3-4 months ..again started getting frequent diarrhea + weight loss (was around 70 Kgs) Oct 2013 - Consulted another doc, MD - stool and blood test - Ecoli and high Eosinophil Count, medication done for 5-6 months, montinored eosinophil from nov - Mar: always kept high.. came down but then again shot up in a month Mar 2014 - Consulted another GI expert - Endoscopy and duodenal biopsy done - H Pylori and Unremarkable Villious pattern, (weight 68 Kgs) - On and Off diarrhea continued. Given: Ivermectin July 2014 - again same doc - Blood test done: High Eosinophil count,  Colonoscopy and Ileum biopsy - preserved villous architecture, features of eosinophilic enteritis; Endoscopy  + duodenal biospy again - numerous H pylori bacteria, Preserved villous crypt ratio, features of eosinophilic enteritis > conclusion: I have eosinophilic enteritis. Started on Prednisolone (steroids) Aug 2014 - 3-4 days of severe diarrhea> weight came down to 65 Kgs. Hospitalised for 3 days - continued on Prednisolonerios Sep 2014 - After 10 days only again a serious bout of diarrhea - hospitalized again - put on IV fluid for 8 days - weight 59 Kgs. Colonoscopy + biopsy done: features of superimposed c. difficile colitis, non-specific mild colitis > c. difficle test came out negative. CT Enterolysis +Scan done: mesenteric lymphadenopathy > nothing wrong acc to docs. IgA deficiency found - diagnosed Celiac - advised for Gluten free diet.   Sep 14 - May 16: continued gluten-free diet, gained weight upto 63 Kg in Jan 16, but then started losing again and came to 59 Kgs in May. No signficant diarrhea. Minor issues. June 16 onwards: Again diarrhea started, still on gluten-free diet, weight lost - 54 Kgs now. hospitalised again under same GI doc - blood test - eosinophil high, CT Enterolysis done: Showing mucosal thickening in Jejunum and Ileum; Enteroscopy (going in jejunum) + jejunal biopsy - jejunal erosions + villous blunting, marked atrophic with V:C ratio of 0.5: 1 to 0:1. HttG blood test done - Came out negative> Conclusion : No gluten exposure (how?) + Refractory Celiac disease. June - July - have been suffering from continuous diarrhea (goes off for 5-6 days and comes back, bloating, trappings in abdomen - waiting for I don't know what. On Rifaximin + Ivermectin + Codeine Sulphate (for diarrhea) I am very depressed and have no clarity on what's going on. If it is celiac, why am I not doing better on gluten-free diet. If the villous damage is still there in small intestine, then why did I kept fine for Sep - May period? HTTG - negative now but was NOT taken in Sep when I was first diagnosed with celiac. Can we trust negative HTTG now and conclude that it has come down? I am 20 kgs down from my ideal weight and still going down. Have no clue what NOT to eat to stop this. Why is eosinophil always high. Can any of you expert help me to put my case to docs in other countries? With lots of hope, Alok          
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Feralgurl