This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Only Restaurant Yay!

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Chattanooga, Tennessee is getting it's very first completely gluten free restaurant called Crave. I am so excited! Anybody else have a gluten free only restaurant near you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes ---and I am there quite a bit. The owners, Sherry Lynn and Howie Birch, are like my family now.

Incredible people. She has celiac and since her DX , she has dedicated herself to helping others.

Strictly gluten free restaurant and bakery called Sherry Lynn's in Latham, NY.

I drive an hour and half round trip, but who cares? :) Totally worth it.

Adalaide Mentor

Sort of... half an hour or so away is a gluten free bakery. Mostly they have cupcakes (by far the best I've had in my entire life, better than any gluteny crap), brownies, cookies, breads, and cakes. But, in addition to that they do pizza, soups, sandwiches and have a small dining area. I never go without getting an arepa. For a while I was going every month but it's just too far to be up there much lately. I will certainly be making a trip for Christmas and my birthday though!

I've heard rumors of many gluten free restaurants up in Salt Lake as well. Okay, many may be a relative term. But a few.

sora Community Regular

Chattanooga, Tennessee is getting it's very first completely gluten free restaurant called Crave. I am so excited! Anybody else have a gluten free only restaurant near you?

We have one here, it's Italian and a bit pricy for my budget but it was so great to go and have no fear! I will probably go about once a year. I was really nervous at first but I got over it. :)

AGH2010 Apprentice

Still waiting for one to open in LA! (I'm not counting the raw food restaurants because we're on the gluten-free diet for my 2 year old daughter's sake so those raw food places won't cut it). We go to the gluten-free bakery about once a week for fresh bread and cupcakes. Wish they'd sell sandwiches too.

pshifrin Apprentice

Yes ---and I am there quite a bit. The owners, Sherry Lynn and Howie Birch, are like my family now.

Incredible people. She has celiac and since her DX , she has dedicated herself to helping others.

Strictly gluten free restaurant and bakery called Sherry Lynn's in Latham, NY.

I drive an hour and half round trip, but who cares? :) Totally worth it.

I've driven 2:15 each way to get to abused by Howie so take that!

kareng Grand Master

Its Ok , and probably helpful to others to mention the names and cities of these restaraunts. As long as you don't own them!

Addy - Are you talking about Eleanor's? We haven't been to Utah to ski lately. I soooo want to try that place.

Open Original Shared Link

I have been to Mariposa in Oakland (they have one in the Ferry Bldg in San Fran) They have some sandwiches, pizza, quiches.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

I've driven 2:15 each way to get to abused by Howie so take that!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh this is hysterical. My hubs gets abused by Howie constantly.

He gives me hugs.

Great family, aren't they? Love em to death.

Fantastic!! hey, PM me next time you're going--I'll meet you there!

@IrishHeart: That is awesome I hope my experience will be just as good. I am sure yhey can accomodate my corn free diet too. I am blessed I wouldnt have to drive an hour and a half. :-)

@Adalaide: yes, ours is supposed to be a bakery and cafè. I hope it survives in this city. I heard it is excellent so I cant wait.

@Sora: That must be great. I tell people I mist have been Italian in a previous lifetime. I love my noodles and pastas and pizza and....

@AGH: I wish we had a gluten free bakery where I live. I would die for some fresh gluten and corn free bread. I probably wouldnt take my celiac kid anywhere unless it was strictly glutenfree. i dont blame you.

@pshifrin: i hope you enjoy that long drive lol i cant stand just driving thirty minutes people make me mad and scare me to death with their wrecklessness, especially this time of the year.

mushroom Proficient

@pshifrin: i hope you enjoy that long drive lol i cant stand just driving thirty minutes people make me mad and scare me to death with their wrecklessness, especially this time of the year.

So long as they drive wrecklessly, and not recklessly, you will be all right :D

Songbird34 Newbie

That's great for Chat. I wish I could say the same for Memphis. In fact, we only have one gluten-free bakery and it is run out of someone's home. Have to preorder. But still it's nice to be able to get bread that I don't make myself.

@mushroom: that made my day lol. i was at work getting yelled at by this woman because she was so hot she was about to die....kinda hard to focus when you got a senile woman screaming at you constantly or asking the same question 24 times for ten hours. honestly that is te worst torture i can think of. Much worse than water boarding. well that is my excuse and im sticking to it ;)

btw, i was just thinking that I must be getting pretty bad for a shroom head to fix my grammar.

mushroom Proficient

btw, i was just thinking that I must be getting pretty bad for a shroom head to fix my grammar.

No worries! Grammer-fixin' is one of my specialties. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

So long as they drive wrecklessly, and not recklessly, you will be all right :D

:lol: :lol:

just so everyone knows I was just kidding nobody on here does magic mushrooms.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Sez you. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

.....well, not since college

Okay. They said it not me. ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

said what??

lol okay yeah i see. Really though, I am really hopeful that options will become more available as more people venture into that risky business. once people taste good food, they will keep coming. I hope quality will offset the costs.

IrishHeart Veteran

We NEED more totally gluten-free restaurants. We NEED franchises all over the country...no, the world. :)..If I had the cash, I'd do it. I would make it happen...I wish I could..and we would all eat safely

The best we can do is when we have one pop up where we live, we support it as much as possible and eat out just because we can. That is the best part though, being able to eat out nonchalantly without fear. Some degree of normalcy.

Juliebove Rising Star

We used to have one but it was no good. The lady who owned it has actually moved to a new location and although I think she does still sell some savory items, it is mostly a bakery and I think they have only a couple of tables. I wouldn't go there if you paid me. She now also advertises that at least some of her things are dairy and egg free. But here's why I won't go there.

The first time we went there, my daughter saw chicken strips on the menu. It said that they were made without egg. She couldn't have egg. She ordered them. Then the owner came back to the table and asked about the egg. Said that the cook didn't know about the no egg thing and made them with egg. So she would have to order something else. Daughter was very upset. The service was super slow too.

On the way out, the owner told us of some individually wrapped items that she had for sale. Bought a brownie for my daughter and was assured there was no egg. When we got home, daughter ate the brownie and began getting sick to her stomach. Then after she threw up, I began to wonder.

We went back. I asked about the pizza. Wanted to make sure there was no egg. My egg intolerance hadn't been confirmed by the Dr. but I knew how sick they made me. I was told there was no egg. Fine. Ordered it. Then went to browse the refrigerated cases to see what she had for sale. And while I was there my friend saw me and came in. Got trapped in there for half an hour. The owner had tried to come back and tell me that I couldn't have the pizza because there was in fact egg in it. So once again our meal was super delayed! But... While we were looking at the refrigerated cases we saw a label for the brownies and they did have egg in them! Gah!

Also on that same day, she offered my mom a chocolate chip cookie for free to try out her new recipe. My mom mentioned that she couldn't have eggs either. The owner told her that there were no eggs in it. So as my mom was eating it, the owner came flying back to the table and shrieked for her to stop because it did have eggs in it. Thankfully my mom doesn't have a life threatening allergy to eggs but it made her sick a few hours later.

Then I asked her if she could make a cake for my daughter's birthday with no egg or dairy. She said that she could. I told her when I needed the cake and she said to stop in two days prior to remind her. Then when I did she pulled an attitude on me and said that she could not make a cake that would be good. Said she the only cake she could do would be lemon. Daughter wanted a cake, any cake so badly that she said would take the lemon. But then the owner said that no, she couldn't make us one.

The owner was also IMO rather nutty. She had her daughter working there too and they two of them were often fighting. And I saw her pull an attitude quite a lot with people.

So even though she now advertises at the other location that she can make things with no egg or dairy, I don't believe it.

There is another place in Seattle that is mainly a bakery but does do some savory items. I have never been there. My parents got a birthday cake for my daughter there twice. The problem? The only one they can do that is suitable for her is chocolate and she doesn't really like chocolate cake. The first cake we got was actually quite good and pretty much everyone liked it except for my daughter. But it was insanely expensive. Then we got another one the following year and it was horrible. All dried out. When you tried to cut it, it just crumbled. And the place was hard to get to. No parking. So not a place I could go since I am disabled.

A store here sold their wares and my daughter liked some of their stuff but then they stopped selling them. And for a time they were selling online. I wanted to get a shipment and then they stopped selling online. So they are very frustrating to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! that is so horrible and rediculous. I wonder if she even has a food intolerance of any kind because her restauraunt sounds to be extremely frivolous and careless, especially for one that is specifically marketed for people with allergies and so on. Im sorry but what an idiot! I cannot begin to imagine. I probably would have yelled and screamed at her about how careless her restaraunt is and how she is endangering lives right in the middle of tge restaraunt.

Juliebove Rising Star

Wow! that is so horrible and rediculous. I wonder if she even has a food intolerance of any kind because her restauraunt sounds to be extremely frivolous and careless, especially for one that is specifically marketed for people with allergies and so on. Im sorry but what an idiot! I cannot begin to imagine. I probably would have yelled and screamed at her about how careless her restaraunt is and how she is endangering lives right in the middle of tge restaraunt.

Her website claims that she has a problem with gluten but I don't think it mentions celiac.

Archived