34 replies to this topic

#16 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

just so everyone knows I was just kidding nobody on here does magic mushrooms.

Sez you. :ph34r:
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

just so everyone knows I was just kidding nobody on here does magic mushrooms.

.....well, not since college

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Okay. They said it not me. ;)
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

said what??

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

lol okay yeah i see. Really though, I am really hopeful that options will become more available as more people venture into that risky business. once people taste good food, they will keep coming. I hope quality will offset the costs.
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,362 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

We NEED more totally gluten-free restaurants. We NEED franchises all over the country...no, the world. :) ..If I had the cash, I'd do it. I would make it happen...I wish I could..and we would all eat safely

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

The best we can do is when we have one pop up where we live, we support it as much as possible and eat out just because we can. That is the best part though, being able to eat out nonchalantly without fear. Some degree of normalcy.

#23 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

We used to have one but it was no good. The lady who owned it has actually moved to a new location and although I think she does still sell some savory items, it is mostly a bakery and I think they have only a couple of tables. I wouldn't go there if you paid me. She now also advertises that at least some of her things are dairy and egg free. But here's why I won't go there.

The first time we went there, my daughter saw chicken strips on the menu. It said that they were made without egg. She couldn't have egg. She ordered them. Then the owner came back to the table and asked about the egg. Said that the cook didn't know about the no egg thing and made them with egg. So she would have to order something else. Daughter was very upset. The service was super slow too.

On the way out, the owner told us of some individually wrapped items that she had for sale. Bought a brownie for my daughter and was assured there was no egg. When we got home, daughter ate the brownie and began getting sick to her stomach. Then after she threw up, I began to wonder.

We went back. I asked about the pizza. Wanted to make sure there was no egg. My egg intolerance hadn't been confirmed by the Dr. but I knew how sick they made me. I was told there was no egg. Fine. Ordered it. Then went to browse the refrigerated cases to see what she had for sale. And while I was there my friend saw me and came in. Got trapped in there for half an hour. The owner had tried to come back and tell me that I couldn't have the pizza because there was in fact egg in it. So once again our meal was super delayed! But... While we were looking at the refrigerated cases we saw a label for the brownies and they did have egg in them! Gah!

Also on that same day, she offered my mom a chocolate chip cookie for free to try out her new recipe. My mom mentioned that she couldn't have eggs either. The owner told her that there were no eggs in it. So as my mom was eating it, the owner came flying back to the table and shrieked for her to stop because it did have eggs in it. Thankfully my mom doesn't have a life threatening allergy to eggs but it made her sick a few hours later.

Then I asked her if she could make a cake for my daughter's birthday with no egg or dairy. She said that she could. I told her when I needed the cake and she said to stop in two days prior to remind her. Then when I did she pulled an attitude on me and said that she could not make a cake that would be good. Said she the only cake she could do would be lemon. Daughter wanted a cake, any cake so badly that she said would take the lemon. But then the owner said that no, she couldn't make us one.

The owner was also IMO rather nutty. She had her daughter working there too and they two of them were often fighting. And I saw her pull an attitude quite a lot with people.

So even though she now advertises at the other location that she can make things with no egg or dairy, I don't believe it.

There is another place in Seattle that is mainly a bakery but does do some savory items. I have never been there. My parents got a birthday cake for my daughter there twice. The problem? The only one they can do that is suitable for her is chocolate and she doesn't really like chocolate cake. The first cake we got was actually quite good and pretty much everyone liked it except for my daughter. But it was insanely expensive. Then we got another one the following year and it was horrible. All dried out. When you tried to cut it, it just crumbled. And the place was hard to get to. No parking. So not a place I could go since I am disabled.

A store here sold their wares and my daughter liked some of their stuff but then they stopped selling them. And for a time they were selling online. I wanted to get a shipment and then they stopped selling online. So they are very frustrating to me.

#24 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Wow! that is so horrible and rediculous. I wonder if she even has a food intolerance of any kind because her restauraunt sounds to be extremely frivolous and careless, especially for one that is specifically marketed for people with allergies and so on. Im sorry but what an idiot! I cannot begin to imagine. I probably would have yelled and screamed at her about how careless her restaraunt is and how she is endangering lives right in the middle of tge restaraunt.

#25 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Wow! that is so horrible and rediculous. I wonder if she even has a food intolerance of any kind because her restauraunt sounds to be extremely frivolous and careless, especially for one that is specifically marketed for people with allergies and so on. Im sorry but what an idiot! I cannot begin to imagine. I probably would have yelled and screamed at her about how careless her restaraunt is and how she is endangering lives right in the middle of tge restaraunt.

Her website claims that she has a problem with gluten but I don't think it mentions celiac.

#26 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

It just goes to prove that we have to be extremely careful no matter what.

#27 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

There's 3 completely gluten free restaurants in Chicago now - all opened within the last few months. Senza, Filo and the Bountiful Eatary. Been to Senza and Filo - both are good, though Filo's kind of a hole-in-the-wall. Haven't been to Bountiful Eatery yet. Senza's a fine-dining place and pretty pricey, but worth it! And we've got an Italian restaurant (Da Luciano's) in River Grove, IL that cooks all the gluten free dishes in a completely separate kitchen. They've got a huge gluten-free menu, and the family that owns it is full of celiacs, so they know what they're doing. Also got several gluten free bakeries in the area. Sweet Ali's in Hinsdale, IL is my favorite - they did the cupcakes at my wedding last year and everyone loved them. No one had any idea they were gluten free.

#28 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Chicago sounds like a good place to be if someone is gluten free. Wow!

#29 TGK112

TGK112

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Chattanooga, Tennessee is getting it's very first completely gluten free restaurant called Crave. I am so excited! Anybody else have a gluten free only restaurant near you?

Yes - Graces 5 in Redmond, WA - outside of Seattle. It is gluten and (cow) dairy free - they use goat cheese. They make an incredible fettacini alfredo

#30 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Really? Interesting goat cream alfredo sauce. Does it taste different?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: