3 replies to this topic

#1 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Can low (still within normal) IgA antibodies affect blood test and skin biopsies?

On another note, I've been faithful to gluten-free diet and haven't had any noticeable GI symptoms that would indicate accidental glutening, but I had a breakout of DH on my skin on my arm and a return of what I always thought of as acne on my neck. It's sort of like a cyst and similar to the ones on my bottom. The only thing different in my diet is an increase in pickles/pickle juice, and I recently gave blood. Iodine? I've never noticed a connection for me.

I still have tons of questions about gluten intolerance.
“Worry is itself an illness, since worry is an accusation against Divine Wisdom, a criticism of Divine Mercy"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yes, low IgA antibodies can affect blood tests & skin biopsies. But the question is moot b/c you have been gluten free for quite some time now. Cindylou, nothing you do short of eating gluten for some time will give you any positive test results now ---- NOTHING.

DH can break out at any time EVEN though you have been eating gluten free for up to 2 years & EVEN longer --- some texts say up to 10 years.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 cindylou7

cindylou7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yes, low IgA antibodies can affect blood tests & skin biopsies. But the question is moot b/c you have been gluten free for quite some time now. Cindylou, nothing you do short of eating gluten for some time will give you any positive test results now ---- NOTHING.

DH can break out at any time EVEN though you have been eating gluten free for up to 2 years & EVEN longer --- some texts say up to 10 years.

Thanks...
I wasn't wondering so I could test again, I had an "ah ha" moment and was looking for clarification. My IgA test results were in the low normal range and my tests have all been negative but I know I react to gluten and have improved bloodwork as a result of gluten-free diet.

I'm not certain that the cyst type acne is DH but I suspect it is. I have scarring from previous bumps and they don't have any pigmentation. The other blister type (herpes looking) bumps are easy to identify as different from other skin problems, but these are similar to acne. I thought it was unusual and suspect that they all popped out at once. Of course I looked for a cause...

“Worry is itself an illness, since worry is an accusation against Divine Wisdom, a criticism of Divine Mercy"

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

We can have other skin problems in conjunction with the dh which can make figuring things out tricky. And from my own personal experience as well as what has been related on here by others as well as medical texts--- the darn dh can take so many forms. I had blisters, blisters, blisters & the bite kind of dh ---- now I'm in a spell where I'm not getting any blisters but the bite kind are prevalent as well as some that seem deep under the skin & they appear as red, inflamed bumps & they still itch like crazy but also sting & burn & they get really deep down sore --- hurts to touch them the least bit. I almost get bruising from them very faintly.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: