arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Going Back To Gi, Negative Blood Results, Is This It?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Here are my test results

TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE AB, IGA < 1 (Range: <4 no antibody detected)

IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 179 (Range: 81-463)

B-12 and folate were normal. Ferritin 37 (Range was 10-154)

Still leg cramps, eroding teeth and tummy rumbling, explosions, and fluffy stools (undigested food, not D).

Are more blood tests needed? I am worried that if an endoscopy is done it will show no damage.

Ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

They didn't do enough...more tests are needed. The following list is what you want:

Tissue Transglutaminase IgG (TtG IgG)
Anti-Endomysial Antibodies (anti-EMA) You could ask for both IgG and IgA, though the IgG version is almost never done.
Deamidated Gliadin Peptides (DGP) Ask for BOTH versions...IgG and IgA

I'm not sure I'd go to the endoscopy with negative bloodwork, I chose not to do it thought I had one positive test (TtG IgG).

But, there are MANY here who have been blood-negative but turned out to have significant intestinal damage and are indeed celiac.

If you don't have a need for medically supported diagnosis you could see what happens on a good gluten-free trial of at least a month. If you symptoms abate, your body has told you what you need!

Best to you.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 confused123

confused123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

They didn't do enough...more tests are needed. The following list is what you want:

Tissue Transglutaminase IgG (TtG IgG)
Anti-Endomysial Antibodies (anti-EMA) You could ask for both IgG and IgA, though the IgG version is almost never done.
Deamidated Gliadin Peptides (DGP) Ask for BOTH versions...IgG and IgA

I'm not sure I'd go to the endoscopy with negative bloodwork, I chose not to do it thought I had one positive test (TtG IgG).

But, there are MANY here who have been blood-negative but turned out to have significant intestinal damage and are indeed celiac.

If you don't have a need for medically supported diagnosis you could see what happens on a good gluten-free trial of at least a month. If you symptoms abate, your body has told you what you need!

Best to you.

Agggh. So frustrated my doc didn't run all those tests! He seems pretty confident on doing the biopsy to not only rule out celiac but other issues. I guess it is a good next step, right??!!???

#4 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

It is a good next step to let him see what's going on in there. I wouldn't hesitate on an endoscopy at all if I were you.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: