This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Feeling So Helpless

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Really. I am thinking I am gonna have to move onto a farm in the middle of nowhere because it is impossible to get away from plastics and corny things. Now i am getting juiced from the meats covered in citric acid washes and other washes with corn derivatives. i still have no idea how to cook and bake without wheat and corn and working 60 hours a week pays for my new plastic free kitchen supplies but alows no time for me to learn how to feed myself.

I thought gluten was hard :

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Got a butcher near you? You may be able to order something custom like that.

We have a farmers market but it is only open sundays when i have to sleep because i work a twelve hour shift that night. I dont know about butcher shops. i dont recall seeing any but i can google it. i live in a small town with quite a few ranches and farms surely i would be able to find something. I eat all organic too. Would that be a problem request from a butcher you think?

tarnalberry Community Regular

While it might be pricey, if it's available, yoiu might consider finding a CSA (community supported agriculture) or co-op that delivers produce and meats to you.

ncdave Apprentice

You can try a google search for: "city an state you live in" health food stores. I found some locally that way. Here"s another source Open Original Shared Link

GFinDC Veteran

You can always wash the meat before cooking it. If your gut is already irritated from something else then it can be bothered by minor things. There may be something else going on in your diet that is causing your gut to be inflammed/irritated all the time. It might be good to try eliminating other things one at a time to see if they have an affect. Remeber everything matters, even the things you are sure are safe should be tested and proven safe. I had given up wine or 4 months a while back but didn't get rid of my symptoms. It wasn't until I got rid of grapes, raisins, grape juice etc that I got better.

ncdave Apprentice

All meat in the us is required to be washed with citric acid, thanks to the FDA. Even oraganic. Citric acid is also used as a pestcide an a anti odor agent. Makes me wonder how many processed foods people would eat if they could actually smell them! Once it penetrates the meat i don"t think it can be washed off, maby some but not all. Your local hfs usually buys from a local supplier. You can look at the package an see who that is. Then contact them an see if the local supplier will processs a order for you, ask him if he can process your order as his first of the day with only a non mineral water wash before his tables an unitensils become in contact with his acid washes.

I am not 100% corn free, not sure anyone could be. But i am very, very corn lite. It has made a remarkable differance in my life. Here"s another list that may help with some cooking an baking supplies, Open Original Shared Link thats not my blog, but it may be very useful to you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Maybe you can get up for the market once and meet some people that sell what you need? In our state we have a website Minnesota Grown that lists farmers and their products. Perhaps you might have one of these where you live. I also shop at local food coops. There you can see what brands they have and phone numbers are frequently on the products.

I didn't know about the meat being washed. I know to avoid citric acid in general. I do buy my meat by special order.

Diana

RuskitD Rookie

Raz, I feel your pain! Although I didn't think gluten was hard. I thought it was a piece of cake. I kept good spirits about it! But that was easy, then, because I suddenly felt so well.

I shouldn't have gotten used to feeling well I guess.

Just when I think I have done 'everything right', I get corned again. When people ask me what I eat, I joke... the lawn. I am beginning to feel that is all I will be able to eat.

Things look even bleaker when you are battling the pain.

Somedays I don't even bother to eat.... it actually makes me feel better......

I hope you find your answers!

I thought gluten was hard at first because I grew up eating canned food and frozen dinners. I had to actually learn how to cook lol. Yeah that is me. Every once in a while I quit eating because I am so tired of reacting to everything. Problem is I start healing and then I am starving and will eat anything! It is a viscious cycle. Meats are my biggest thing right now though. All of your suggestions are excellent. Thank you guys. I will check with butchers and local chapters. I did not know all meats had to be treated with that! that is insane. I am sure I can find someone who is willing to break that rediculous regulation and let me buy some food that doesnt poison me.

Or i can buy some live chickens. Only meat I eat is Fish, chicken and turkey

Juliebove Rising Star

Wow! That must be tough! I have seen some rice that is sold in paper bags. But even when you buy something in bulk, it is usually sold from a plastic container. Is it all plastics you must avoid? Or just some of them? And what do you do for a living where you can avoid plastic? And how are you even posting here? Is there a computer or a keyboard or tablet or even a phone that isn't plastic?

The thing I am thinking of now was the people they used to write about back in the 70's and maybe the 80's who had environmental allergies. They couldn't be around wood because of what it was treated with or even paint. Those people had to move to special houses or rooms that were made almost entirely of plastic. And then there is you who can't be around plastic. Gah! And I thought I had it rough.

One thing I can think of that may or may not work for you is to grow your own fruits and vegetables and can them. I would say to dehydrate them but I think all of the dehydrators these days have plastic in them too! But this would be tough for you to do with the hours you are working. And I don't know if you even live in an area where you could grow things. Now that I think about it, when I was growing things, I was doing it in Earthboxes and those are made of plastic. And the covers were plastic. Hmmm... Wow.

ncdave Apprentice

Me thinks the corn is like gluten, everyone has differant sensitifies to it. I just avoid the bio degradeable plastics. Think water bottles, those trays meat comes in an the soaker pads under the meat. Fruit an veggies at the grocery store are sprayed with a type wax to make them pretty an shiny, it also seals in the moisture an gives them a longer shelf life. Guess what the wax"s made from! Bananas are gased with ethylene again made from? This could turn into a long story so i"ll stop now.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Do any of the farms in your area do that thing where they sell a whole cow or half

a cow butchered to your specifications? Then all you need is a chest freezer. I would

think someone who's local, like a farm that has their cows butchered by the guy down

the street, should be able to accommodate you.

Juliebove Rising Star

Do any of the farms in your area do that thing where they sell a whole cow or half

a cow butchered to your specifications? Then all you need is a chest freezer. I would

think someone who's local, like a farm that has their cows butchered by the guy down

the street, should be able to accommodate you.

That wouldn't help since they don't eat beef.

Well I dont react to all plastics or at least not the same. I react to non stick skillets when i cook in them. The thinnest plastics are the worst, if it is liquid or has juices and sits in plastics, it gives me problems. The thicker the plastic, the safer and i can handle dry goods that have some exposure to plastics, it is more of a problem if it is something oily though.

I am gonna check with Earth Fare and see if I can get my ground turkey and fish and fresh chicken placed in my own container until have the time to check on finding farmers who can accomodate my needs.

GFinDC Veteran

FYI, here's site with info on what the codes on the bottom of plastic containers means.

Open Original Shared Link

FYI, here's site with info on what the codes on the bottom of plastic containers means.

Open Original Shared Link

Oh awesome Thanks

Chaff Explorer

Razzle Dazzle Brazell, I love your quote! Every single doctor before my GI referred me to a mental health professional and I had to beg them for testing. All testing came after a lecture about how I was likely anorexic or had body-image issues.

I hate doctors.

That is exactly how it is. I now see doctor's as my agents. If they will not do as I wish, they get the can. I have lost my trust in the medical system; so much so that I decided to back to school eventually to become a nutritionist. I want to work on the right side of healthcare. In my experience, integrated medical offices are the best. Doctors who use wholistic approaches are the most open-minded.

Archived