2 replies to this topic

#1 ashchaff

ashchaff

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

I started getting sick in high school randomly and it started getting worse in college (I am 22). I had an old roommate with Celiac disease so I thought I would try seeing if I had a food allergy since I kind of knew how that all worked. Well, gluten was making me sick so I got tested for Celiac after I already started the diet. I was told I did not have Celiac but to just stay away from it. I cheated a lot on the diet at first because it was hard but now I have been at it for about 6 months and do not really cheat anymore because I know how sick it makes me.

In the past few months, I have slowly felt like the pain is coming back. When I eat gluten, I normally throw up. This is not happening but I have stomach pains, my throat gets super dry, my chest starts hurting, gassy, I get heart burn and I just feel weird. I do not eat anything with gluten in it so I don't know what it is. I do not wanna go to the doctor even though I know I should because i do not have time for all the testing.

I was just wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and what they did. I have read that I should probably cut out dairy but I am in denial that that is it because gluten is hard enough to cut out. Is it possible I am just getting more sensitive and its a CC problem? I did notice that when I eat french fries, I start getting a horrible stomach ache and terribly gassy.I used to eat them with no problem. I eat them with ranch, so I don't know if its CC with the fries or the ranch. Any advice would be great :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Vegemite toast

Vegemite toast

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi, our family has just done the elimination diet which is how we discovered my daughter is celiac (not tested). It is pretty full on and involved eliminating all reactive foods (doesn't leave much) and after symptoms go away then reintroduce each food group to see if there's a reaction.

Also reactions can be delayed so it's not always clear what is causing the symptoms.

Good luck, Ann

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Simple solution? Quit cheating... period. If it makes you feel like that, why the heck do you eat it?

At any rate, its probably a CC issue. Fryers can be used for many things that are gluteny. Unless a resteraunt has a dedicated one, then its a no go. As for the ranch it depends on the company. Sometimes gluten is in salad dressing sometimes it isn't.

I've been gluten free for a year and about a half. I'm a college student. I refuse to eat at any of the eateries on campus because A: i spent two years in the dorms and i know well enough what goes on and how little it takes for things to get CC'd. B; when i asked the new eatery what they had gluten free they said they only had a pizza. It was cooked along side gluteny ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: