1 reply to this topic

#1 Monklady123

Monklady123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

Sigh. I took my dd and a couple of friends to visit a college this weekend. We went into town and they got Subway for dinner, then went to an ice cream place. We went back to the hotel and I ate what I had brought with me -- banana and pb (pb in one of those individual-serving containers, unopened), an apple, cheese stick cut up on crackers (Crunchmaster), and water. Woke up the next morning with that horrible gluten headache, nauseous, etc. Fortunately it was 4:00 (a.m.) when I woke up so I had 4.5 hours till we had to get moving. So I took a bunch of extra-strength Advil, drank water, and it got a bit better. I didn't feel like eating anything until that afternoon when we were on the way home, but I did drink lots of water while we were on the tour on campus.

Anyway... so what caused it? Everything I ate was stuff that was totally safe, unless my individual pb had been contaminated (which I didn't think was possible since I'd eaten some other containers of it from the same box.) My crackers were from an opened package from home, I'd just put some in a container. My cheese was wrapped, and I'd been eating those cheese sticks from that package without problems.

I wracked my brains and then suddenly it came to me. I had forgotten to bring in a spoon from the car and it was too cold (i.e., I was too lazy) to wait for the elevator, and walk all the way out to the parking lot. So I used the spoon my dd had been using for her ice cream. I rinsed it under the water and sort-of rubbed it with my fingers, but didn't really wash it. I'm sure that's what it was because when I asked her what she'd had not only did she have cookie dough ice cream but then some of her toppings were gluteny -- cookie dough butter, oreos, and something else. I'm sure that the oil from all that was still on the spoon.

You'd think after a couple of years at this I'd be smarter! :ph34r:

Lesson for the rest of you: Don't be lazy like I was -- go ahead and walk down to the car and get your own spoon! or, really really wash the other spoon, in soap and hot water. oy...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Oy is right. LOL Hope you're feeling better.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: