This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Longer Reacting To Gluten?

Kirstie

Kirstie Apprentice

I cut gluten out of my diet and felt relief straight away. My constipation, fainting spells, bloating, nausea, vomiting and brain fog cleared up within 2-3 months and I've been feeling great ever since.

I've been gluten free for 7 months and occasionally had mishaps and eaten gluten, causing me to have strong reactions, like vomiting, pain, brain fog and mouth ulcers.

However, that hasn't happened for the past month so out of curiosity I began trying gluten, its been 2 weeks and I've no reaction!

My reactions use to be so severe, but not I don't seem to have any!

Has this happened to anyone?

Thanks,

K

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Persei V. Enthusiast

I'd say no visible reaction. But have you been diagnosed by endocospy and blood tests with celiac disease? I have a leaky gut and intolerances that come and go, and never have been diagnosed with celiac, so theorically it would be possible for me not to react to gluten anymore, but that's not true to celiacs...

rosetapper23 Explorer

Yes, this happened to me after I had followed a strict gluten-free diet for 18 months. I then read an article (later I was to discover that the author was NOT correct) that said that after a while, a person's autoimmune system settles down so that a person with celiac can ingest gluten from time to time without consequences. Well, I immediately ordered a pizza and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was ecstatic when I had no reaction....so a month later I did the same thing. Long story, short--after the fourth time, I discovered that I could no longer absorb iron no matter how much I took. My ferritin level fell to 2 even though I was taking massive amounts of iron. Eventually, I had to be placed on intravenous iron infusions, and two years later I developed cancer. So, I guess you know what I'm going to recommend, right? Do NOT eat gluten under any circumstances, regardless of whether you get a reaction or not. Damage is still being done, and you will pay the price someday.

GFinDC Veteran

Some people have gone back on gluten. If you do have celiac tho it doesn't go away. Symptoms may subside temporariily but not forever. Your body doesn't forget how to make antibodies. If it did you would die from measles or some other infectious disease pretty quick. Children who are born with celiac and go gluten-free or a while and then are told they are cured or have grown out of it and then start eating gltuen again often don't have obvious symptoms for a period of time. But later symptoms resume or they get another autoimmune disease or symptom and all the fun that goes with that. Sometimes those other symptoms or AI diseases don't go away when resuming the gluten-free diet. Below is a thread kind of debating eating gluten when you have celiac and possible effects. It might be useful to read through it. I hope this helps.

How bad is cheating?

http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Lisa Mentor

There is no consistancy with this disease.

But, if you are diagnosed with Celiac, I would strongly recommend that you continue to eat gluten free. To do otherwise, would be a waiting game for a secondary diagnosis, not as easily remedied as a gluten free diet. :rolleyes:

Skittles Enthusiast

I was off of gluten for about 5 months and feeling very good. One of my biggest problems was constipation but being off of gluten I was not suffering from it anymore. I ate a little bit of gluten and felt ok so I ate a bit more and I was still fine so I thought I could go back on gluten too. However, about a month later all of my symptoms came back. So I am off the gluten again and starting from scratch again and it is taking a little while for my stomach to heal, again! and I really regret ever going back on gluten!

But even if you do eat gluten and you feel fine that doesn't mean that your body IS fine. If you are celiac there is no cure

nvsmom Community Regular

Like GFin DC said, I was a (undiagnosed) celiac as a child and had many symptoms but those symptoms largely went away in my teens. I still got some like headaches and aches but my stomach wasn't too bad at all. By my late teens I developed another AI disease and another in my early 20's. Not good.

So, my symptoms did go away for a while even though I was never gluten-free. Everyone is different though. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AandGsmomma Apprentice

I had this happen. Before I was diagnosed I had several episodes of stomach pain that went away when I went off gluten. Then y stomach would feel better and I would start eating wheat again. All this accomplished was my symptoms coming back worse then before.

Archived