arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You All Know About The Forks Over Knives Movie?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Three days ago my dh declaired he is now vegan after our dentist told him to watch it. Could you please watch it and tell me what you all think. Do you really think that all meat will cause cancer and everyone who eats any meat will have to have heart bypass surgery. That is what the movie teaches. Is there any research that refutes this movie. Anything that teaches that small portions of meat does not cause cancer and is ok? I could really use some help. I have 2 small kids 7 and 8 and now they wont eat their dinner because daddy isn't eating it anymore. We used to eat quite healthy but daddy is always an extremist. I'd love some research that shows that this is old research and small amounts of meat are good for you. Or weigh in as you feel. I am really bummed that our family is now devided. The kids are the ones that are now confused. This is really touch for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Oh wow...that is a tough situation. I haven't seen it...I'll see if I can find it.

I don't have research to link to right now...but can add that for years I thought I was feeling poorly after I ate beef -- turns out it was everything I was eating with the beef.

Hang in there...sure others can post some good data.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

You couldl perhaps print out this article and either read it to your kids or tell them about it -- http://www.forbes.co...meat-study.html -- As it is often said, everything in moderation. Too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing :P but good things, in and of themselves, are not bad.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

That movie is very one-sided only supports vegetarianism. Human beings are carnivores.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#5 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

That movie is very one-sided only supports vegetarianism. Human beings are carnivores.

I really appreciate replys because it is so hard on me and my kids. Most things with my 7 yr old are war and this just adds another thing. That is what is so hard. Some kids love to drive a wedge between parents and this is one of those kids. I have to tell her that I'm the boss and she WILL eat the food that I fix. Daddy is going through a phase right now but she will eat the food I fix, super tough with no support. I just wasn't expecting this. Dumb me. I appreciate all thoughts. I can take it. I might cry, but I can take it. I have celiac, IC, dairy issues and more not figured out. So a vagan dh out of the blue is tough and then kids that now wont eat their dinner because daddy wont. @#$%^
I love this forum and an so thankful for it.

#6 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

I just read mushroom's article and liked it. I'll show it to my dh. I just need to deal with getting through it right now.

#7 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Technically, everyone posseses cancer cells, they just need to be "switched" on. However, the argument that meat causes it is waaaaay out in left field.

The heart thing? That is more of a greesy fatty foods than meat.

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

http://www.drbretthi...you-cancer.html

This guy pretty much sums up what I was thinking.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#9 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

http://www.drbretthi...you-cancer.html

This guy pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

Thanks gestgar. I agree with the article.

#10 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

Hmmm I think we be omnivores......

#11 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Hmmm I think we be omnivores......

Obligate carnivores. If you don't eat animal products you'll die without synthetic B12.
- James Watson

- Ashleigh Brilliant

#12 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I hate to say this because it sounds trite, but, I think maybe you are going to need counseling, because given your health relies on your being gluten free, it seems that this is really irresponsible behavior on the part of your spouse to throw another wrench into the family meal planning process, which seeks to eliminate another entire category of proteins. It is possible to be a vegetarian or even vegan gluten free diner (if you want to have to take supplements, and if you want to have to risk further health problems if you are already insulin resistant or carbohydrate intolerant) but it is difficult and time- consuming - because the vegan diet is predominantly grain- based, and it's typically replacing meats with grain and legume carbohydrates. All of this food has to be cleared for possible cross contamination issues. There is a group of people who metabolically can tolerate this - but we are usually not them. My attitude would be, that's nice, have fun doing your own shopping, cooking and clean- up, bub.

You can eat very "politically correctly" (as I call it, because thin women "experts" in the media love to sneer at the thought of those less svelte celiacs on their 'fad diets' who just don't eat what they do, which is based on the USDA's brainwashing that feeding one's self like a steer on a feedlot is best <_< :ph34r:, - remember the Food Pyramid ? ) and still develop all sorts of life shortening diseases or become overweight or even keel over from the dreadful heart disease or stroke.

#13 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Here's a long article about the movie:
http://rawfoodsos.co...w-and-critique/
I haven't read the whole thing, but apparently the science in the movie is sometimes sketchy.

And here's an article that has tons of links to other articles that discuss the bad conclusions drawn by the vegetarian crowd in relation to The China Study, which is apparently at least part of the basis for the movie's conclusions: http://freetheanimal...wn-roundup.html

Edited by ciamarie, 19 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#14 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Here's a long article about the movie:
http://rawfoodsos.co...w-and-critique/
I haven't read the whole thing, but apparently the science in the movie is sometimes sketchy.

And here's an article that has tons of links to other articles that discuss the bad conclusions drawn by the vegetarian crowd in relation to The China Study, which is apparently at least part of the basis for the movie's conclusions: http://freetheanimal...wn-roundup.html

Thanks for support. Today dh called and said the diatitians at his hospital said this is not a good way to eat so he concented to eat a little meat every few days. Somethimes you have to say there is a God. But he wants to eat this way most of the time.

#15 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

just checked that out....we get that one nutrient....we eat many plants as well, which puts us in the omnivore group. can we actually live on meat alone? that would be a carnivore...

Obligate carnivores. If you don't eat animal products you'll die without synthetic B12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: