This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You All Know About The Forks Over Knives Movie?

mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids Collaborator

Three days ago my dh declaired he is now vegan after our dentist told him to watch it. Could you please watch it and tell me what you all think. Do you really think that all meat will cause cancer and everyone who eats any meat will have to have heart bypass surgery. That is what the movie teaches. Is there any research that refutes this movie. Anything that teaches that small portions of meat does not cause cancer and is ok? I could really use some help. I have 2 small kids 7 and 8 and now they wont eat their dinner because daddy isn't eating it anymore. We used to eat quite healthy but daddy is always an extremist. I'd love some research that shows that this is old research and small amounts of meat are good for you. Or weigh in as you feel. I am really bummed that our family is now devided. The kids are the ones that are now confused. This is really touch for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Oh wow...that is a tough situation. I haven't seen it...I'll see if I can find it.

I don't have research to link to right now...but can add that for years I thought I was feeling poorly after I ate beef -- turns out it was everything I was eating with the beef.

Hang in there...sure others can post some good data.

mushroom Proficient

You couldl perhaps print out this article and either read it to your kids or tell them about it -- Open Original Shared Link -- As it is often said, everything in moderation. Too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing :P but good things, in and of themselves, are not bad.

Jestgar Rising Star

That movie is very one-sided only supports vegetarianism. Human beings are carnivores.

That movie is very one-sided only supports vegetarianism. Human beings are carnivores.

I really appreciate replys because it is so hard on me and my kids. Most things with my 7 yr old are war and this just adds another thing. That is what is so hard. Some kids love to drive a wedge between parents and this is one of those kids. I have to tell her that I'm the boss and she WILL eat the food that I fix. Daddy is going through a phase right now but she will eat the food I fix, super tough with no support. I just wasn't expecting this. Dumb me. I appreciate all thoughts. I can take it. I might cry, but I can take it. I have celiac, IC, dairy issues and more not figured out. So a vagan dh out of the blue is tough and then kids that now wont eat their dinner because daddy wont. @#$%^

I love this forum and an so thankful for it.

I just read mushroom's article and liked it. I'll show it to my dh. I just need to deal with getting through it right now.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Technically, everyone posseses cancer cells, they just need to be "switched" on. However, the argument that meat causes it is waaaaay out in left field.

The heart thing? That is more of a greesy fatty foods than meat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

This guy pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

This guy pretty much sums up what I was thinking.

Thanks gestgar. I agree with the article.

frieze Community Regular

Hmmm I think we be omnivores......
Jestgar Rising Star

Hmmm I think we be omnivores......

Obligate carnivores. If you don't eat animal products you'll die without synthetic B12.

Takala Enthusiast

I hate to say this because it sounds trite, but, I think maybe you are going to need counseling, because given your health relies on your being gluten free, it seems that this is really irresponsible behavior on the part of your spouse to throw another wrench into the family meal planning process, which seeks to eliminate another entire category of proteins. It is possible to be a vegetarian or even vegan gluten free diner (if you want to have to take supplements, and if you want to have to risk further health problems if you are already insulin resistant or carbohydrate intolerant) but it is difficult and time- consuming - because the vegan diet is predominantly grain- based, and it's typically replacing meats with grain and legume carbohydrates. All of this food has to be cleared for possible cross contamination issues. There is a group of people who metabolically can tolerate this - but we are usually not them. My attitude would be, that's nice, have fun doing your own shopping, cooking and clean- up, bub.

You can eat very "politically correctly" (as I call it, because thin women "experts" in the media love to sneer at the thought of those less svelte celiacs on their 'fad diets' who just don't eat what they do, which is based on the USDA's brainwashing that feeding one's self like a steer on a feedlot is best <_<:ph34r:, - remember the Food Pyramid ? ) and still develop all sorts of life shortening diseases or become overweight or even keel over from the dreadful heart disease or stroke.

ciamarie Rookie

Here's a long article about the movie:

I haven't read the whole thing, but apparently the science in the movie is sometimes sketchy.

And here's an article that has tons of links to other articles that discuss the bad conclusions drawn by the vegetarian crowd in relation to The China Study, which is apparently at least part of the basis for the movie's conclusions: Open Original Shared Link

Here's a long article about the movie:

I haven't read the whole thing, but apparently the science in the movie is sometimes sketchy.

And here's an article that has tons of links to other articles that discuss the bad conclusions drawn by the vegetarian crowd in relation to The China Study, which is apparently at least part of the basis for the movie's conclusions: Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for support. Today dh called and said the diatitians at his hospital said this is not a good way to eat so he concented to eat a little meat every few days. Somethimes you have to say there is a God. But he wants to eat this way most of the time.

frieze Community Regular

just checked that out....we get that one nutrient....we eat many plants as well, which puts us in the omnivore group. can we actually live on meat alone? that would be a carnivore...

Obligate carnivores. If you don't eat animal products you'll die without synthetic B12.

mommida Enthusiast

Can you try a compromise? Meatless Mondays.

I noticed for my own health I needed to supplement Biotin. It is naturally found in animal liver. I just can not force myself to eat it. There have been warnings for years of animal liver products having more environmental toxins too. Olympians had to remove animal liver from thier diets because they would have tested positive on drug testing for the games.

Sometimes a balanced diet is more complicated than it seems. ;)

Jestgar Rising Star

Obligate carnivore doesn't mean you ONLY eat meat, it means you HAVE to eat meat, if only a small amount. Cats are obligate carnivores, dogs are not. A cat will die eventually on a plant based diet, as will a human (witout synthetic supplements).

celiac-mommy Collaborator

For what it's worth, I think it's a very personal decision. The movie changed my life and I adhere to it most of the time (still no meat). I don't expect my kids to be vegan/vegetarian and I don't expect anyone to accomodate my alternative lifestyle. I've learned to cook the 'flexitarian' way so that they can still get what they want and I can get what I want in the same meal. It's a pretty controversial subject to me bc people usually feel very strongly one way or another.

frieze Community Regular

perhaps we are closer to a facultative carnivore...but certainly all the vegans over centuries have survived without sumpplementation

psawyer Proficient

[A]ll the vegans over centuries have survived without sumpplementation

I presume that you have a source for this that you can share with us--please do so.

txgal748 Apprentice

After being diagnosed with cancer and celiac disease in the same month I started watching nutrition documentaries on Netflix and doing research on the internet. After watching Forks Over Knives I considered vegetarianism but my instinct kept telling me that it just did not all add up humans have always eaten meat. Look at the Inuits, how many fruits and vegetables are available in the arctic circle? One day I found Mark's Daily Apple website. I suggest you get your husband the Primal Blueprint book for Christmas since he seems interested in nutrition. I am mostly primal now and have lost 14 lbs.

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

My attempts at vegetarianism (twice, for just two-three months each time) objectively worsened my autoimmune disorders. I did not just "feel" worse. My labs were worse. My exams were worse. Doctors found me in a worse condition. Incidentally, my HEART condition worsened when I cut out animal protein. Feel free to mention this to your husband. Vegetarianism may be an option, but not one that's for everybody. Which is a whole different animal from saying it is ok to consume +1 lb of meat per day.

This is a scare-tactic movie, and its logic is questionable. Were meat sure to lead to cancer and heart-disease, the vast majority of the world population would have died from that. Bring proof. And bring proof that all Masai hunters die of those conditions.

Vegetarianism or veganism as they are mainstream now are the farthest thing from a real, natural diet, because they rely on food-like substitutes mostly made of soy, and mostly GMO. Good luck with that!

mamaw Community Regular

would he consider grass fed to finish beef? Much of the beef sold in groceies are fed alot of stuff to fatten them up quicker for market & injected with hormones & such... Grass fed to finish is a healthy beef that is good for us. It is more costly but you get what you pay for.....there is a big difference in texture, quality & taste.... same with chickens & eggs, the taste is so much different.. SOOOO much better...you can even buy grass fed milk.. from healthy cows....

There is a doctor in our area who also pipes this that meat causes cancer but he is speaking of grocery store beef. When I said I disagree that there is good beef he agreed but said many don't know about the good meats......most are looking for bargain meat at the Aldi's, bottom dollar & cheaper grocery stores..

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

I think mamaw is right, the problem is that they're lumping together all food. You also nailed it saying that people are mostly concerned about bargains. What is weird, is that it's not just poor people, who would have a good reason to. The dominant mentality is "if it's a lot, and cheap, it's better." I don't understand why, since food is ubiquitous, in the US. I was recently with some friends, who are not poor, and witnessed stuff like "expiration dates don't mean anything," or that a pie that smashed into a car trunk was still edible. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I don't share their food philosophy.

• 1 month later...
Charli61 Apprentice

Three days ago my dh declaired he is now vegan after our dentist told him to watch it. Could you please watch it and tell me what you all think. Do you really think that all meat will cause cancer and everyone who eats any meat will have to have heart bypass surgery. That is what the movie teaches. Is there any research that refutes this movie. Anything that teaches that small portions of meat does not cause cancer and is ok? I could really use some help. I have 2 small kids 7 and 8 and now they wont eat their dinner because daddy isn't eating it anymore. We used to eat quite healthy but daddy is always an extremist. I'd love some research that shows that this is old research and small amounts of meat are good for you. Or weigh in as you feel. I am really bummed that our family is now devided. The kids are the ones that are now confused. This is really touch for me.

My understanding is that the meat itself is not toxic, but it is the additives in the feeds etc. that are causing problems.... if you get grass fed beef, it is considered to be a safe meat by most naturopathic people that I have spoken to. I would imagine that the same holds for other meats.... I have been told that wild game is very healthy and not toxic to the body. There are interesting points of view out there, but like most people I personally think that in moderation most things (okay... not gluten!!) are okay.

I should add, I suppose that my daughter has Cystic Fibrosis and eats a high animal protein diet, and my husband hunted for years... I myself am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and have been for the past 25 years. I cook for the family (meat included) and also make sure there are enough foods in the meal that aren't gluten or meat containing for me! But also I know of lots of kids who 'go vegetarian' and it lasts a month or maybe several months, very few of the ones that I know of personally stuck with it for any extended periods. Just my thoughts on it! (and I'll confess that I never even heard of 'forks over knives')

Archived