Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You All Know About The Forks Over Knives Movie?

• Please log in to reply

41 replies to this topic

#16 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Can you try a compromise? Meatless Mondays.

I noticed for my own health I needed to supplement Biotin. It is naturally found in animal liver. I just can not force myself to eat it. There have been warnings for years of animal liver products having more environmental toxins too. Olympians had to remove animal liver from thier diets because they would have tested positive on drug testing for the games.

Sometimes a balanced diet is more complicated than it seems. ;)
Michigan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Obligate carnivore doesn't mean you ONLY eat meat, it means you HAVE to eat meat, if only a small amount. Cats are obligate carnivores, dogs are not. A cat will die eventually on a plant based diet, as will a human (witout synthetic supplements).
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#18 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

For what it's worth, I think it's a very personal decision. The movie changed my life and I adhere to it most of the time (still no meat). I don't expect my kids to be vegan/vegetarian and I don't expect anyone to accomodate my alternative lifestyle. I've learned to cook the 'flexitarian' way so that they can still get what they want and I can get what I want in the same meal. It's a pretty controversial subject to me bc people usually feel very strongly one way or another.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#19 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

perhaps we are closer to a facultative carnivore...but certainly all the vegans over centuries have survived without sumpplementation

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

[A]ll the vegans over centuries have survived without sumpplementation

I presume that you have a source for this that you can share with us--please do so.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

After being diagnosed with cancer and celiac disease in the same month I started watching nutrition documentaries on Netflix and doing research on the internet. After watching Forks Over Knives I considered vegetarianism but my instinct kept telling me that it just did not all add up humans have always eaten meat. Look at the Inuits, how many fruits and vegetables are available in the arctic circle? One day I found Mark's Daily Apple website. I suggest you get your husband the Primal Blueprint book for Christmas since he seems interested in nutrition. I am mostly primal now and have lost 14 lbs.

#22 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

My attempts at vegetarianism (twice, for just two-three months each time) objectively worsened my autoimmune disorders. I did not just "feel" worse. My labs were worse. My exams were worse. Doctors found me in a worse condition. Incidentally, my HEART condition worsened when I cut out animal protein. Feel free to mention this to your husband. Vegetarianism may be an option, but not one that's for everybody. Which is a whole different animal from saying it is ok to consume +1 lb of meat per day.

This is a scare-tactic movie, and its logic is questionable. Were meat sure to lead to cancer and heart-disease, the vast majority of the world population would have died from that. Bring proof. And bring proof that all Masai hunters die of those conditions.

Vegetarianism or veganism as they are mainstream now are the farthest thing from a real, natural diet, because they rely on food-like substitutes mostly made of soy, and mostly GMO. Good luck with that!
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#23 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

would he consider grass fed to finish beef? Much of the beef sold in groceies are fed alot of stuff to fatten them up quicker for market & injected with hormones & such... Grass fed to finish is a healthy beef that is good for us. It is more costly but you get what you pay for.....there is a big difference in texture, quality & taste.... same with chickens & eggs, the taste is so much different.. SOOOO much better...you can even buy grass fed milk.. from healthy cows....

There is a doctor in our area who also pipes this that meat causes cancer but he is speaking of grocery store beef. When I said I disagree that there is good beef he agreed but said many don't know about the good meats......most are looking for bargain meat at the Aldi's, bottom dollar & cheaper grocery stores..

#24 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

I think mamaw is right, the problem is that they're lumping together all food. You also nailed it saying that people are mostly concerned about bargains. What is weird, is that it's not just poor people, who would have a good reason to. The dominant mentality is "if it's a lot, and cheap, it's better." I don't understand why, since food is ubiquitous, in the US. I was recently with some friends, who are not poor, and witnessed stuff like "expiration dates don't mean anything," or that a pie that smashed into a car trunk was still edible. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I don't share their food philosophy.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#25 Charli61

Charli61

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Three days ago my dh declaired he is now vegan after our dentist told him to watch it. Could you please watch it and tell me what you all think. Do you really think that all meat will cause cancer and everyone who eats any meat will have to have heart bypass surgery. That is what the movie teaches. Is there any research that refutes this movie. Anything that teaches that small portions of meat does not cause cancer and is ok? I could really use some help. I have 2 small kids 7 and 8 and now they wont eat their dinner because daddy isn't eating it anymore. We used to eat quite healthy but daddy is always an extremist. I'd love some research that shows that this is old research and small amounts of meat are good for you. Or weigh in as you feel. I am really bummed that our family is now devided. The kids are the ones that are now confused. This is really touch for me.

My understanding is that the meat itself is not toxic, but it is the additives in the feeds etc. that are causing problems.... if you get grass fed beef, it is considered to be a safe meat by most naturopathic people that I have spoken to. I would imagine that the same holds for other meats.... I have been told that wild game is very healthy and not toxic to the body. There are interesting points of view out there, but like most people I personally think that in moderation most things (okay... not gluten!!) are okay.
I should add, I suppose that my daughter has Cystic Fibrosis and eats a high animal protein diet, and my husband hunted for years... I myself am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and have been for the past 25 years. I cook for the family (meat included) and also make sure there are enough foods in the meal that aren't gluten or meat containing for me! But also I know of lots of kids who 'go vegetarian' and it lasts a month or maybe several months, very few of the ones that I know of personally stuck with it for any extended periods. Just my thoughts on it! (and I'll confess that I never even heard of 'forks over knives')

#26 Charli61

Charli61

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hope you let us know how you made out with the kids....?

#27 Luddie

Luddie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I've seen the movie. I agree the science seems sketchy! Yes, we are omnivores and should eat a variety of foods, including the offal of animals that people used to eat (not that I do)! It's a very extreme diet and in my humble opinion, dangerous. Talk to a nutritionist about it and see what she says!

#28 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

Technically, everyone posseses cancer cells, they just need to be "switched" on. However, the argument that meat causes it is waaaaay out in left field.

The heart thing? That is more of a greesy fatty foods than meat.

Not so sure I agree with the heart disease / high fat diet link. In fact, the data from the china study actually link heart disease to an increased level of consumption of grains (wheat and millet, not rice),and found no link to increases in fatty meat consumption and heart disease. Grain cconsumption was also linked with obesity.

In fact, heart disease and obesity began to rise in the western world *after* the "eat your healthy whole grains" diet was touted as being good for your health (a la food pyramid).

Anecdotally, I eat more fats (animal and plant based, little to no dairy) and am very thin and my blood work (cholesterol, etc) is always fine. More to the point, my husband, who used to eat lots AF grains and "low fat", has seen the weight come off and his blood work improve after starting to eat the food I prepare for him. And my sons are far from being fat despite a fat and grease heavy diet.

And no doctor or nutritionist I know would tell me to feed my family the way I am. But it works for us.

#29 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

That should be "of" not AF lol

#30 Luddie

Luddie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Not so sure I agree with the heart disease / high fat diet link. In fact, the data from the china study actually link heart disease to an increased level of consumption of grains (wheat and millet, not rice),and found no link to increases in fatty meat consumption and heart disease. Grain cconsumption was also linked with obesity.

In fact, heart disease and obesity began to rise in the western world *after* the "eat your healthy whole grains" diet was touted as being good for your health (a la food pyramid).

Anecdotally, I eat more fats (animal and plant based, little to no dairy) and am very thin and my blood work (cholesterol, etc) is always fine. More to the point, my husband, who used to eat lots AF grains and "low fat", has seen the weight come off and his blood work improve after starting to eat the food I prepare for him. And my sons are far from being fat despite a fat and grease heavy diet.

And no doctor or nutritionist I know would tell me to feed my family the way I am. But it works for us.

Hi Ollie's Mom,
You're right to point out that most nutritionists and doctors would not suggest a diet such as yours (or mine, which is very similar). I keep forgetting that my doc and his nutritionist are different! His practice teaches that heavy grain consumption and the use of vegetable oils in cooking are not good ways to maintain health. I, too, have excellent cholesterol numbers and I don't shy away from animal fat. In fact, I drink a small glass of half and half with breakfast (no milk right now) and make certain it's the best half and half I can find! My doctor also feels that butter, lard and olive oil (in moderation) is the only palette of choices. Because I've been changing my diet for the past several years I've become very aware of what is written in the news media and what passes as scientific. Some years ago I heard or read an article about why
saturated (animal) fat got such a bad name and it boiled down to the fact that there were some very powerful interests in the food industry AND in the scientific field that wanted to push the consumption of vegetable oils (early in the last century). The scientists who pushed this were very influential in that they were the "elders" who actually reviewed other budding scientist's research projects (mostly governmental research projects such as NIH). Of course, they were going to lean towards recommending funding for "science" that supported their own viewpoints and deny those that might be contradictory. So, it was perpetuated for a long, long time. I do think that there has been some easing but mainly by what could be called "a fringe medical community" of doctors and nutritionists who started looking at the evidence of their patient's diets and made a change. Also, each of us is a unique individual with unique heritages, so one approach doesn't necessarily fit all of us! Feeling good and having blood tests that show a healthy pattern are probably the best way to know what suits each of us. I tried vegetarianism for a while and didn't realize how bad I was feeling but that was me.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm passionate about being careful about eating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: