Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Toddler Threw Up Two Hours After Gluten.

4 posts in this topic

Okay I have a gluten intolerant (never went through with the testing) and my daughter (3.5) has pretty much textbook celiac signs- but never officially diagnosed, as she was only 2 at the time and was gluten free during the test. But her little sister, who is two, Has been gluten free since we went gluten free because I planned to "test" her by giving her some after a while of none but have been to scared too. So she has been gluten free since April of this year. Today at lunch my older two daughters (who CAN have gluten) had bread at the meal which is rare, as we NEVER have gluten in our house.....But the little one kept reaching for it and crying so I gave her three or four bites. She refused anymore after that. Since she has thrown up.....and has only thrown up maybe twice in the past year, she does NOT have a weak stomach. Should i say it was the gluten or what?

Ads by Google:

two hours after?

Could it be a bug? If she has a fever,i'd say bug, but i'd look into it as a gluten issue as well.

Trust your instincts! And trust your kiddo! I have a Celiac daughter who is our "Celiac Sniffer." She can tell if something is cross contaminated...she lifts it to her lips but won't eat it...

Thinking of you!

Trust your instincts! And trust your kiddo! I have a Celiac daughter who is our "Celiac Sniffer." She can tell if something is cross contaminated...she lifts it to her lips but won't eat it...

Thinking of you!

Funny that you say that, because we have actually tried to get her to eat gluten before and she refused. I make pancakes and biscuits (gluten free) once a week or so and she LOVES them and begs for them. Well my mom (after I told her too) tried to give her some pancakes with gluten (not at our house) and she opened her mouth but spit it out IMMEDIATELY Then mom tried some biscuit and she refused to open her mouth. But kept eating her green beans and carrots that were on her plate....So it wasn't that she wasn't hungry, she was begging for more, but refused the gluten food.

She is actually like normal except for that. No fever and ate good later that day. Actually ate more than usual which worried me even more, as I have a tendency to be STARVING after my gluten reaction. I don't usually throw up though. Usually I have horrible cramps and upset stomach that follows. (as far as GI reactions)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Push for the endoscopy.  My GI said at the initial consult that he didn't think I had celiac but wanted to do the scope to "rule it out"  When he saw me immediately after the endo, while I was still in recovery, he saw enough damage to change his position and sure enough the biopsy came back positive.
    • Your body has been used to ingesting and has been coping with the gluten in its systems.  DON'T PANIC because your body is doing it for you.   Seriously now, the medical field has a technological term defining when a system is used to working a certain way/routine.  When that is either disrupted or changed, it could take a while for the body adjust to a different way of doing things.  Another factor in the increase in symptoms could possibly be that your body is starting to "clean house".  It's trying to get rid of the amounts of gluten hiding out in all its nooks and crannies.  It is going to be a long term process.  It's like cleaning out a vacuum hose or other household item that is just caked with gunk.  The first cleaning gets rid of a large portion of the gunk and ick.  The subsequent cleanings gets rid of more and more ick but in lesser amounts. I thought I was going to go crazy those first few months, but things are a lot better now. (I am about 10 months gluten free).  I still have moments of brain fog and even episodes, but my body is getting closer (and more used to)  to having a cleaner "household item".  I know it's tough at first with the increased onslaught of symptoms, but hang in there.   You may want to keep a journal of all that you ingest or come into contact with for a time to track anything that could exacerbate symptoms.  (For me, my episodes are chemically triggered as well.)  If for some reason a few months down the road, you still have large amounts of symptoms it would be a good idea to visit your GP again just in case there something else that is going on.  
    • I would love some help! After 20ish years of being misdiagnosed with IBS, I was diagnosed with celiac disease (positive blood test for tTG IgA and positive duodenal biopsy) ~ 6 weeks ago. Of course I've gone completely gluten free, and I've been crazy paranoid careful not to ingest any gluten. I've also completely avoided all oats (even certified gluten free) and cut out lactose (due to transient lactose intolerance... because I don't have villi) . But now I feel WAY WORSE. I've had abdominal pain every single day, which ranges from mild aching to severe 10/10 laying on the floor crying and vomiting pain. I understand that it takes a long time to get better, but why would I get so much worse? My best guess is SIBO, but I can't imagine that it could cause such extreme symptoms, can it?  So my question to you fine folks is: did this happen to anyone else? Have you gotten sicker after you changed your diet? Is this normal?  For arguments sake, lets assume that I did not ingest any gluten to cause these symptoms... Thank you for your help!
    • Thanks very much Cyclinglady. Yes, it is Kaiser. I doctor said the GI think it is unlikely to be celiac deisease (he did not say how he came to this conclusion), but he would be happy to do an upper endoscopy for me. I did some look up online, this procedure should be low risk. Still feel a little hesitate while reading the potential risks :(.
    • I would suggest you test your daughter through a doctor. The Enterolab tests are not recognized as accurate or reliable by the medical profession. See this link from the Chicago Celiac Disease Center: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex/
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Jessie.Cait