This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No More Cookies!

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

I guess I've been playing with fire, letting my regulars bring cookies to the jam sessions here. I'm always good about washing my hands before I eat, but I got glutened the other day, and I know it was a stray cookie crumb that got me because I've not eaten anything different from my usual fare.

They get crumbs on the table. Then I touch the table. Then I play my guitar. The crumbs get on my guitar strings. Then I touch my face.

I'm so miserable right now. I was sick to my stomach the other day and thought it might be a bug. A few hours later my psoriasis started to flare so I knew it was gluten. Now my jaw problem is flaring up really badly. I am in SO much pain! I can't open my mouth to even brush the inside of my teeth, I'm mashing my sweet potatoes so I can suck them through my teeth, I'm talking funny as if I had my jaw wired, and the pain is almost unbearable.

Another sure sign of a glutening for me is temper. This morning a friend came in for a lesson and I had to move an open package of cookies out of the way. A couple fell out and I flung them to the floor. I looked at my friend and told her THAT'S why my jaw looks like a hampster's. Then I threw the whole package across the room. (It's a good thing she is a friend.)

I spent the whole day in bed yesterday and wish I could be in bed today. I need to get started putting my huge Christmas tree up here at the shop because it takes days, and I want it up for Black Friday. But I'm just not up to it right now.

I am going to tell everyone that from now on, no cookies are allowed unless they are gluten-free and soy-free. I hate to do it, but I WON'T go through this again! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Awww you poor thing! This is not a good time to have to deal with this. I get the grumps too and probably would have responded the same way to the cookies. I agree that it is time to stand up to the cookies and protect yourself. It simply isn't worth the risk. Do try to get some extra rest tonight. (((HUGS)))

And backatcha:

bartfull Rising Star

Oh Adalaide, THANK YOU! I love that video, and the fact that someone sent it to me when I'm feeling so down has made me cry. (((((HUGS)))))

Adalaide Mentor

GAH! That is the opposite of the intended effect! On a dark gluteny day in August when you shared it with me you said it always cheers you up. :P Okay, I'll stop being a dorkus. Feel better!

Takala Enthusiast

They are just going to have to suffer with the Lara bars, the Kind bars, the coconut macaroons, the enjoy life chocolate chips melted on crumbled rice cakes with coconut flakes, the bananas, apples, etc.

Cookies sound so horrible right now. Something other than gluten is kicking both me and my spouse's guts a bit from the salads we had for lunch. I made myself exercise, because otherwise I was pretty loose- jointed, but I barely got thru it. (have to catch it while you can, as we are entering the rainy season) drinking ginger in club soda water.... Ugh.....

L.J. Rookie

Oh Bartful,

I am so sorry you are feeling horrible...UGH :ph34r: Hope you can get good nutrition in your stom and get some rest -- You are right!!

No more poisonous cookies to be brought in to your store! Hang in there... :)

ncdave Apprentice

Dear Bartfull,

I"m sorry your feeling a little under the weather, hope you have a super speedy recovery. I have no idea why i stopped by to read about your cookies, but i"m sure glad i did. How else would i ever found out about the coconut macaroons and the enjoy life chocolate chips melted on coconut flakes to make my own mounds bars!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katecamp Newbie

I just responded to a suffering soul in another post with some tips on how to feel better. I've learned that with celiac disease you've got to watch out for things you never thought of. You may have a yeast infection. My gums hurt so bad and I have to really scrub my mouth 3X daily. And throw away the brushes frequently. I buy cheap children's tbrushs so I can get into nooks and crannies. Even gluten-free flour can cause problems and things like vinegar can upset your PH. Good luck.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I always worry about cookie crumbs. I help with tea at my meditation centre, and try to be very careful when handling the cookies and other gluteny things, wash hands afterwards, etc, but I always worry that something bad might happen (obviously not worried enough to stop helping out though).

If you got that sick just from cookie crumbs, then indeed, for the sake of your health and sanity, no cookies (or other crumbly gluteny items) allowed! Maybe you can switch to some gluten-free chips or another snack instead. If these are people you jam with often, and come to your store, they should want to keep you happy and healthy, so I see no reason not to put your foot down.

Feel better. The tree can wait.

Peg

Archived