31 replies to this topic

#1 alucard4545

alucard4545

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

The link I will post below sums up the whole situation that's going on right now with Actress/Celiac Jennifer Esposito. If you haven't heard about it already in the news or online, I would urge you to read this. I believe it is discriminatory against celiacs and people with disabilitites in general and it should not be tolerated...

The link is a petition and I would strongly urge anyone to read it and sign it if they want to help get the right thing done. It doesn't take long and it is an important issue and has to do with all of us. Here it is:

http://www.change.or...om-her-contract

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for posting this! I was absolutely appalled by the article - I signed and re-posted on Facebook to get more people to sign.

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I think there might be a bit more to that then what is being said about it.

#4 alucard4545

alucard4545

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for posting this! I was absolutely appalled by the article - I signed and re-posted on Facebook to get more people to sign.

You're welcome. I was glad to post it because it angered me as well.

#5 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

If she's following a gluten-free diet, why would she be prone to "passing out"? I agree, there has got to be more to this.

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I, personally would reserve an opinion until I know more facts. Many people here, who post consistantly, have full time jobs. Other than an unusual inconvienience, I have heard no complaints.

It would be pretty bad, if someone exploited our disorder for financial reasons. BUT, I will withhold my thoughts until more information appears.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

If she's following a gluten-free diet, why would she be prone to "passing out"?

Perhaps I am misinterpreting this statement - I have been as gluten-free as possible in the world we live in for over three and half years and still have serious health problems stemming from decades of undiagnosed celiac disease. From what I've read, Ms. Esposito was yet another of us that doctors misdiagnosed for years and she has made every attempt to heal by living gluten-free.

I am not saying there are not two sides to every story - just that if you have Celiac Disease - how can you assume another Celiac's diet would be responsible for a situation such as this - have you never been accidentally glutened? If so, count yourself fortunate.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

There are many articles out there, with more appearing all the time. What they all seem to have in common is that they are based on interviews or quotes from Jennifer Esposito. I have not seen anything that offers the story from the producer's perspective.

I know someone here in Canada who was diagnosed years ago, and has been gluten-free for at least seven years. She is still unable to work and is on full disability due to refractory celiac disease. Most of us fully recover on a strict gluten-free diet, but not everyone.

We don't know all the facts, so let's not pass judgement.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 alucard4545

alucard4545

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Perhaps I am misinterpreting this statement - I have been as gluten-free as possible in the world we live in for over three and half years and still have serious health problems stemming from decades of undiagnosed celiac disease. From what I've read, Ms. Esposito was yet another of us that doctors misdiagnosed for years and she has made every attempt to heal by living gluten-free.

I am not saying there are not two sides to every story - just that if you have Celiac Disease - how can you assume another Celiac's diet would be responsible for a situation such as this - have you never been accidentally glutened? If so, count yourself fortunate.

I agree with this completely.

I’ve thought about it and Jennifer Esposito has had a very successful career so far. One must question why she would throw that away and risk her job on the show if this wasn’t a serious case of her being treated unfairly because of her celiac. She has even stated that CBS implied that she was not truly ill, and that it was a scheme to get a raise. To me, that alone is unacceptable and it shows the lack of awareness out there about this serious disease. Celiac disease is probably the only disease that you can tell somebody you have, and not know what type of response you will get from them. I bet that if this incident had to do with diabetes instead, there would NEVER have been any question about her actually having diabetes. It shows the level of ignorance out there when it comes to celiac, and that has to change. I would expect people, especially celiacs, to have some compassion for her in this situation.

#10 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

There was an excellent piece on Fox Files Sunday evening. It covered three different people who have celiac. Jennifer happens to be one who was mistreated and misdiagnosed by the medical community for pretty much her entire life. As we all know, healing is a process and even the least bit of CC can lead to serious complications. The piece focused on the struggles she's had through her life rather than the current issue which it only briefly touched on. Unfortunately I can't find the entire piece as a video, it was a half hour long, but if I do I'll post it. (BTW, it also had Dr. Fasano for those who are fans.)

Found the show's full episodes web page. The show will be available in two weeks. So December 2.
http://www.foxnews.c...v/1886747599001

Edited by Adalaide, 20 November 2012 - 11:34 PM.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

There are many articles out there, with more appearing all the time. What they all seem to have in common is that they are based on interviews or quotes from Jennifer Esposito. I have not seen anything that offers the story from the producer's perspective.

I know someone here in Canada who was diagnosed years ago, and has been gluten-free for at least seven years. She is still unable to work and is on full disability due to refractory celiac disease. Most of us fully recover on a strict gluten-free diet, but not everyone.

We don't know all the facts, so let's not pass judgement.

That's true but I also would not be so hasty to file a complaint about this either. She may or may not be being discriminated against but even if she is, we don't know that celiac is the cause.

#12 alucard4545

alucard4545

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

There was an excellent piece on Fox Files Sunday evening. It covered three different people who have celiac. Jennifer happens to be one who was mistreated and misdiagnosed by the medical community for pretty much her entire life. As we all know, healing is a process and even the least bit of CC can lead to serious complications. The piece focused on the struggles she's had through her life rather than the current issue which it only briefly touched on. Unfortunately I can't find the entire piece as a video, it was a half hour long, but if I do I'll post it. (BTW, it also had Dr. Fasano for those who are fans.)

Found the show's full episodes web page. The show will be available in two weeks. So December 2.
http://www.foxnews.c...v/1886747599001

I found out the segment is up on vimeo --->

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thank you for that video....even if it was from the Fox Network :rolleyes:. Fasano does good work! He is an epic leader in our small world.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

That is the entire part of the show that matters. The first half of the show was something else entirely and is completely unrelated. It was good to see a piece that covered Jennifer Esposito that focused on her struggles and the disease and not on all the nonsense with CBS.

And yes, regardless of your feelings about Fox, it is a well done piece that doesn't fall into the nonsense that makes me want to bash my face on my desk like most of the pieces I see.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#15 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I found out the segment is up on vimeo --->

Thank you for sharing this - I copied it to my FB with the following:

Finally...an accurate portrayal of Celiac Disease in the media rather than the more common commentary that repeatedly calls a very serious autoimmune disease "trendy" or a "fad weight loss diet" or that "gluten free is a dietary choice" -- I have never said these words before - Thank you Fox News.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: