#1 Sunny600

Sunny600

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Two questions:

1. Is it possible that (inadvertantly) eating (minute quanities) of gluten can cause migraine-like headaches and ZERO energy? I'm thinking I need to go see a doctor, because after years of no headaches at all and an abundance of energy, since going gluten-free, I've been getting terrible headaches, and getting laid out for days with no energy at all. But it ALWAYS happens after eating something that I didn't prepare myself. I'm being careful. Or rather, I'm trying to be careful, but I think there must be gluten in things that I think wouldn't have gluten, like sausages, or.....I don't know. I can't even think right now.

2. If, after going gluten free (it's been nine months for me), what does it MEAN that I seem to be quite sensitive to even minute amounts of gluten? If years of eating gluten only caused tolerable (though persistent) problems, now that I've eliminated it, after a period of several months of feelings gloriously well, now I seem to have reactions to all sorts of things. Isn't that worse for my body than what was going on before? I mean, if my system was so overwhelmed with gluten that it couldn't react properly, now that it's reacting, isn't that doing even MORE damage?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I've been gluten-free for ten years now & I find I'm so much more sensitive to gluten now than the beginning....You are still healing being gluten-free for only 9 months. It can take several years for some people to heal.... You also need to become more aware of what you are eating. Become a label reader, hidden gluten is in loads of things....
example: some restaurants put pancake flour in scrambled eggs to make them more fluffy, who would ever guess that...

Plus have you had a good medical work-up done lately? B 12, Vit D, glucose, thyroid panel, metabolic panel & so on....
Another thought is are you reacting to other foods that maybe don't have gluten ie: milk/dairy, soy, corn.....

Hope you feel better soon....

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I didn't realize my migraines were caused by gluten until I went gluten-free. I used to get them for about 2 weeks of the month and now I'm down to just a few days. The two times that I did get glutened (in the first month or so) I ended up with a migraine that lasted a few days and I was tired, so I know for me that there is a definite link.

And yeah, many sausages have gluten filler in them. Not all, but many. :( I hope you are feeling better soon.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I had some fatigue and lack of energy. I found out I had had both corn and wheat. Things I was eating were cross contaminated.

#5 NorthernElf

NorthernElf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Is it possible that (inadvertantly) eating (minute quanities) of gluten can cause migraine-like headaches and ZERO energy?
I live in a household of 5 and until I separated all gluten stuff - bought an island on wheels for their bread etc. and designated the rest of the kitchen gluten free - and also bought all my own bakeware, strainers, measuring cups, etc. I was sorta ill all the time. I had headaches & joint aches, not necessarily the big stomach issues I get if I ate gluten. One day I made gluten cookies and got flour in the air and my sinuses went poof! and I had a mega headache for half an hour - felt woozy. It was an eye opener ! And weird.... I think little amount accumulate and make you feel ill, then make you feel like a big gluten attack.
Yeah, & brain fog !

If, after going gluten free (it's been nine months for me), what does it MEAN that I seem to be quite sensitive to even minute amounts of gluten?
I have been gluten-free for 10 years & I am very sensitive. I no longer handle gluten at all- my kids do the baking and clean up (and not on my counters!). A tiny amount makes me miserable and out of it, a small amount makes me sick.

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

I also get a migraine and never connected the two until about 2 months ago and everytime I review what I've had to eat it is from the potential of CC.

And yes, I will react to a crumb now. I even reacted very nastily to driving thru a barley field dust cloud during harvesting, I could taste it in my mouth.

In a way, I'm kinda thankful for the migraine because it let's me know that I have to stay 100% diligent with my food choices, like shared lines in a facility.

Living and learning.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: