Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

My 6 Year Old Just Diagnosed - Question About Reflexes

8 posts in this topic

Phew! A place to get some answers!

My 6 year old had her celiac panel come back positive. We had been on a gluten-free/DF diet for 2-3 months when her test still came back positive.

We only found out because we were testing her D levels and allergy testing and our dr decided to do celiacs as well. T'was a bit of a shock.

She is seeing a chiro and when we had her consultation, he checked her reflexes and she did not have any at all in her knees. Two weeks later, still nothing.

Something deep in my gut is telling me this is important, and I am worried.

We are going to see a dietician tomorrow, but apart from that - not sure what our plan of action should be.

I would prefer not to do a biopsy if at all possible (I hate anesthetic and kids), our family practice doc agreed because her results were so positive.

My son (3) and I are eating some gluten again, he and I show quite a few symptoms, we are having the test at the end of the month, we are only eating 1 slice of bread a day, am hoping that is enough as the joint pain I have (and have had since bring 18 - no dx ever made, arthritis ruled out) is not fun, as is the brain fog.

So...reflexes? Any input please, and what else should I be asking for.

With thanks

Sarah

Ads by Google:

Some people do not react to the knee reflex thing. I certainly don't (which doctors have said it was fine). I also have motorskill issues (i cannot, for example, skip, do anything that requires a lot of balence (such as a climbing up rocks and down them, or somewhat steep surfaces), i have to see going down stairs or else i loose my balance somewhat (weird huh?), etc). I also had a lot of issues when i was younger with walking and whatnot.

Also,, i have bad knees (they aren't aligned properly with my body, which i found out years ago). They ache when i walk to much or if i'm on concrete to long or if a storm is coming in. No arthritis, no nothing. I've had multiple xrays and have went through physical theraphy.

I thought i'd add that i don't remember them moving. My mom says they may have moved a smidge, but i don't ever remember it and i believe the doctor noted it as it was done.

Thanks - I know she had reflexes before, which is why I am concerned. She had complained about her legs before, but her old dr put it down to growing pains.... :(

Slow reflexes can also be a sign of hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) which is more common amoungst celiacs than the regular population. To test thyroid function, request a TSH (should be near a 1), free T4 and free T3, and TPO ab (to see if there are antibodies attacking the thyroid).

Best of luck. I hope you find some answers.

I think this can resolve on a gluten free diet and better absorbtion of vitamins, minerals, and fats.

So work with her doctor and definately explain what is going on, so further tests can be run.

Thank you - we met with a dietician today and are definitely going to run more blood tests to check her out a bit more. We had only run the celiacs panel and a CBC before.

Hang in there! Previous posters alerted you to some really good additional information--especially the thyroid stuff. From what we are learning, it takes 6-12+ months for kiddos' bellies to heal and 12-36 months for adults to heal.

In our family, we had one 6 yr old who had a REALLY difficult first three months off of gluten. I don't really understand why, it just was very hard on her--lots and lots of belly aches--and some leg pain and then it all evaporated. Our other twin went from intense muscle/joint/bone aches with itching 2-3 x a week to about 1x a month. We happened to be at our (rockstar) cardiologist who asked how the girls are doing...I told him about the remaining aches and itching. He said, "Reduce her lectin intake and see how she does." (I had no idea what lectins even were). We've cut out tomato and bell peppers (of which we ate a lot of) and she has been 100% since.

The trickiest part of Celiac and all of this is that every individual is different. This forum is so excellent because so many people openly share their experiences. Take what works for you and your family! Wishing you as smooth a path as possible to full returned health for you and your kiddos!

Thank you! - we go to her dr's tomorrow so I am mentioning this and what steps to take next.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Advil (ibuprofen) is gluten-free, but can be a stomach irritant, especially if taken on an empty stomach. That said, I will also place my bet on the garlic and onions. As Raven said, eating more than once a day may also help. An empty stomach is likely to be an irritable stomach.
    • Another link: http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/7351/PDF
    • Thanks for posting.  I know it is difficult to talk about these sorts of things even on a webforum.  It is good thing for people to be aware though about celiac disease and that it can cause mental problems.  Gluten can cause brain damage and it can cause anxiety. If the brain does heal it may take a long time. I know that gluten can cause anxiety and obsessive thoughts.  My experience has been similar to your experience. When I first quit eating gluten I had a similar constant loop and strong negative feelings. There are lots of people on this forum who get anxiety when they eat gluten. Some people also experience gluten withdrawl where they experience anxiety after giving up gluten. It can take a long time for the body to heal and for obsessive thoughts to go away.
       It is normal for people to socialize with each other and to be comfortable about it. You said you have problems still socializing and being around people. It might be a depressing thought but it sounds to me like you still have problems with anxiety.  I would recommend considering what options you have available to treat the anxiety. When I quit eating Gluten I still had some symptoms, even though I felt much better. I have been slowly recovering over a period of about three years. I had obsessive thoughts even after I quit eating gluten.  Now I very rarely if at all think about those things. My experience is that my mind would latch on to certain things that caused me anxiety and focus on those things. Sometimes my focus would shift and I would latch onto other things. My ability to socialize has also improved greatly with time. I have made some dietary changes which I believe have helped greatly. It sounds to me like you have obsessive thoughts about things and maybe some brain damage. My experience has been that my obsessive thoughts about different things went away with time. I feel my obsessive thoughts were caused by gluten and not by what people did around me or any events. As my brain healed I became more self aware and things became less stressful.  I can't give medical advice on this forum but I can talk about my current diet and my experience with celiac disease. My experience with gluten is different from a lot of other people so it is a good idea to ask other people and to talk to a doctor.  I avoid oats and avoid almost all processed foods. I buy certified gluten free food. I eat healthy and I exercise every day. I take st John's Wort as I have read studies that say it may be as effective as some other anti-depressants for treating certain types of anxiety. It is available over the counter. I started with a small dosage and then stepped it up over time. I think it helps a lot.  This is also something that you should talk to a doctor about first. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Mahoney2/publication/7426926_St._John's_wort/links/540d8acc0cf2f2b29a386673.pdf A lot of people with celiac disease have vitamin deficiencies.  Vitamin b deficiency can cause anxiety. Some people do not process the synthetic form of vitamin b (from normal pills)  very well, and do better on an activated form of vitamin b. I take:
      1 activated vitamin b12 daily
      1 activated vitamin b6 every once in a while. 1 regular vitamin b multivitamin
      1 magnesium pill every day.
      St Johns Wort daily.
      1 zinc vitamin daily
      I drink lots of Chamomile tea and decaf coffee. I avoid most caffeine. 
      I think each of these helps lower my anxiety level.  I eat fruit with every meal. Canned fruit from walmart is cheap and good for you. I eat salad and and vegetables and avoid dairy.  I eat frozen fish often as it has healthy proteins. Eating healthy is very important. I eat potatoes and rice. http://www.livestrong.com/article/454179-what-is-methyl-b12/ I avoid eating soy sauce, soy, cheese, aged meats and fermented foods (I do drink certain types of alcohol in moderate amounts.) These foods contain lots of Tyramine. I might (or might not) have "monoaine oxidase deficiency" and if so high Tyramine foods should be avoided.  I thought I might have problems with elevated ammonia in my blood, but I am not convinced of that anymore. I limited my consumption of meat for a while as well as dairy but I am not sure if i helped.  I have heard that Celiac disease can effect other organs besides the brain and those organs can have an effect on the brain.  My current diet is working so I am going to stick with it for now. I try not to worry about things that are outside of my control. Be patient as it took me a long time to recover.  Let me know if you have any questions. There is a lot of information on this site and people who are willing to help.

• Thank you. This is really helpful. I will call around next week.  I just want to heal! 
    • My endoscopy showed i had decreased folds in my duodenum. The biopsy came back and showed that my villi were fine... i have been on a gluten free diet for 6 years because i was just told i was intolerant but never had any testing before. when i eat gluten i get sick for 2 weeks. i came down with issues of other foods in march so they were trying to figure out why and wanted to know if i had celiac are not because that would explain why dairy and fructose are a problem.. both intolerant test for both were negative but the fructose test made me extremely sick but it was negative...      Im trying to figure out why i have decreased  folds in the first place. my Gi doctor is stumped on that to why the endoscopy would show damage but the under the microscope are fine. She is going to call the dr who did my scope and then is supposed to get back to  me..    would being gluten free for 6 year make it so there was damage and then my vili are now fine but still cant be seen in the endoscope?
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Dtroutmann